+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Printer Managment Software in Technical; ...
    Thank Post
    Just got a quote for PCounter for our primary school and it came in at £495. Now I see PaperCut NG is charging £225 for primary schools so unless Iím missing something PaperCut wins.

Thank Post
    I know a few schools that are using Papercut here and they are really happy with it. It is very adaptable to various needs and can also do Internet usage accounts if you are running an ISA Server.

I will be installing it on my system come July, with the intention of running it in the background for that last 6 months of the year and then implementing student accounts in 2009, and also setting up department accounts for staff.

Thank Post
    I've installed papercut in demo mode and although it's only doing auditing at the moment I'm already impressed with the logging and charts.

Bounced Users
    Thank Post
    i think it all comes down to how much money the powers that be give you as well as the level of support you want.

you can get free products that work fine for some people or you can wonder off and spend 10k+

id suggest trialing at least 3 of the main software vendor options before spending the money and while trialing try out the support.
    I personally had a lot of luck with pcounter, papercut and some software from equitrac (the name escapes me for now)
    If you are feeling brave the pcounter lads have a nice API for you to write your own software for

Thank Post
    I've used both papercut and pykota.

Pykota is excellent value for money (£25 donation or free), but Papercut is better value for us overall because it's a 20 second install and run job, whereas pykota is a little more involved.

Papercut is also cross platform and can be used on linux (mac too I think?)

Bounced Users
    Thank Post
    Mac printing can be a bit trickier but yes papercut can run/monitor Mac's.

Same for most software its just normally tricky to setup for a mac as you will sometimes find a issues with printer setup and printer configuration

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jack0w View Post
    Once we've got the new ID cards out to staff we will be installing some proximity card readers onto the copiers and integrate staff photocopying into Papercut - all very exciting stuff!
    How did you get on with copier/card integration? Did you use the VCC unit as recommended by PaperCut? I'd be interested to hear how your implementation went.

Thank Post
    We are currently rolling out PCounter here for our photocopiers and network printers. Staff will use PIN's on the photocopier but we may look at purchasing swipe cards for all staff.

Bounced Users
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    We are currently rolling out PCounter here for our photocopiers and network printers. Staff will use PIN's on the photocopier but we may look at purchasing swipe cards for all staff.

be careful when getting the cards, not all readers read what you expect.

If its barcode make sure the height of the barcode on the card is the correct height for the reader. Also check the reader will be able to read the symbology of the barcode a lot of UK sites use Telepen but the rest of the world hasnt heard of it so often the readers wont pick it up.

If its magstripe then that shouldn't be a problem.

If its Prox/Mifare then be aware often the only thing the reader will pick up is the manufacturers number from the card (its different for each card)
    This depends on any encryption on the card.

dont forget to add a password/pin to the account as well in case a card is stolen.
    Last edited by SOSAGES; 3rd June 2008 at 10:37 AM.

Thank Post
    just a quick few questions here guys. firstly im wondering do you actually need a printer management tool as there is a option you can tick on most modern good printers now to keep the print jobs so you can see who is taking the **ss. i do work in a school that has only 60 ish pc's so that could well be why we dont need a tool like that. and do you actually charge for certain printing??

Thank Post
    Print management software simplifies this process greatly. You can do instant searches on users, what they've printed where and when, produce useage graphs, see how my colour printing gets printed vs B/W.

Also asides from the monitoring side, you can introduce certain 'rules' to stop people printing multiple copies, stop users printing to certain printers, give users a certain number of 'credits' to encourage them to think about what they're printing, limit a colour printer to B/W only for certain users, and a hundred other settings.

So yes, I think it's a pretty essential part of most networks these days, especially when the likes of papercut do a version of their product you can use for free for monitoring purposes.

Some schools do charge users when when they go over their quota. Personally we don't, we use Papercut mainly for finding out how much stuff is actually being printed and where, so we can plan how much toner we need to order! We do have a few users on restricted accounts who have historically abused the printing system thou.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    Print management software simplifies this process greatly. You can do instant searches on users, what they've printed where and when, produce useage graphs, see how my colour printing gets printed vs B/W.

Also asides from the monitoring side, you can introduce certain 'rules' to stop people printing multiple copies, stop users printing to certain printers, give users a certain number of 'credits' to encourage them to think about what they're printing, limit a colour printer to B/W only for certain users, and a hundred other settings.

So yes, I think it's a pretty essential part of most networks these days, especially when the likes of papercut do a version of their product you can use for free for monitoring purposes.

Some schools do charge users when when they go over their quota. Personally we don't, we use Papercut mainly for finding out how much stuff is actually being printed and where, so we can plan how much toner we need to order! We do have a few users on restricted accounts who have historically abused the printing system thou.

Mike.
    ye fair enough lol not used one before so obviously dont know how many different tools you can use. with my school being small quite lucky i guess as there isnt that much toner abuse going on. cheers for that

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,615 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeymike View Post
    just a quick few questions here guys. firstly im wondering do you actually need a printer management tool as there is a option you can tick on most modern good printers now to keep the print jobs so you can see who is taking the **ss. i do work in a school that has only 60 ish pc's so that could well be why we dont need a tool like that. and do you actually charge for certain printing??
    I'm in a school with even fewer PCs than you and we use Print Manager Plus. Our toner bills were astronomical until we introduced PMP and used "real" pricing for the pages. It was made clear to all that PMP allowances were restrictions NOT budgets!

We charge 10p for mono and 35p for Colour - but this is not actually charged to anyone. Most staff have a limit of £6.32 per week and pupils are restricted to 70p per day. A few super-users have unlimited printing (like the secretary, bursar and me ) And a few staff have a higher print allowance which we control by making them members of sepcially set up AD Security Groups.

The toner bill has halved since we introduced it and everyone sems to be able to print what they need. I particularly like Print Job Verification where PMP tells the user exacytly what they are trying to print... e.g. 2 pages to the Colour Laser will cost you 70p and leave your allowance at £2.25, is this OK. At this point the user can OK or Cancel the job.

Thank Post
    We used PMP but then changed to Papercut a years ago.

Papercut is a lot more friendly to use I think and also a lot faster!

One thing I'm thinking of moving back to PMP for though is this ability:

We have mulitple departments who want to charge for using their printers (as they pay for toner).
    With Papercut you give your users a pool of money and then you can debit that on an individual printer basis, but it all debits from one big pot.
    This means when our students have £2.00 for printing from ICT printers it's all fine, but not Art and SEN want to charge too which doesn't work well as the print logs would all have to be checked to see where each user printed.

PMP on the other hand can be configured so that users get more than one pool of money which can be set to be debited when different printers are used.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Duplicate your print queues. So when a user is in a location they get print queues that reflect that location. So for example when they are in IT they get the the 'IT-Art', 'IT-IT and 'IT-SEN' Print Queues. You can then determine usage on a per printer and per location basis.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast