+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, 3 years strategic plan in Technical; I am preparing a 3 years strategic plan for our school the areas that i covered are: Video conferencing should ...

Thank Post

3 years strategic plan

I am preparing a 3 years strategic plan for our school the areas that i covered are:
    Video conferencing should be implemented.
    Online backup system implementation
    Website should be made more dynamic and informative
    MLE should be in use in all subject departments

I need to know your points of view in terms of what is going to be hot in the next 3 years in relation to school ICT, and any solutions that you might think i missed.

Thank Post
    A few thoughts

Technology that allows people to roam instead of having to sit at a computer. Such as wireless, PDAs, wireless DV cameras. Content will be expected to be accessable on a wide range of hand held devices.

More emphasis on VOIP to video conference to meetings, linking schools and organizations together. Ideal for collaboration. Students will work in mixed groups, "classes", "periods" and discrete lessons will be phased out, as "active learning" shows big benefits.

Web/software as a service/web resources to penetrate further, so planning for resiliance and speed on the internet connectivity is a must. Students will already be well versed in online office suites such as Google Apps, schools will have to consider if maintaining an in house suite of MS office applications still makes sense.

Virtualization. Energy pricing concerns, server power will mean less physical hardware and more virtual servers.

HD standard content will become the norm for video creation + editing, having implications for how data is stored and backed up.

</ramble>
    Last edited by klawd; 17th March 2008 at 01:13 PM. Reason: typo

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Also check with your RBC/LEA and see what projects they are planning/deploying within the next 3 years.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Video conferencing is a complete waste of money imo, classic case of someone seeing a technology and thinking its great. But in reality its not really ready for a roll-out.

Thank Post
    My 3 year plan is this:

2008-2009 - maintain current kit
    2009-onwards - dont care it'll be up to BSF..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ittech View Post
    Video conferencing is a complete waste of money imo, classic case of someone seeing a technology and thinking its great. But in reality its not really ready for a roll-out.
    We are probably in the same opinion here - we haven't really found a good idea / resource for us to use Video Conferencing in our lessons on a regular basis. We are however a designated language college and we often speak to our link schools in france, poland and spain. We also purchased VC equipment for 2 of our feeder primary schools and 2 french primary schools to allow them to link together.

We also use it weekly when our FLA (Foreign Language Assistant) talks to a Sixth Form Student in conversation classes in another school via VideoConferencing - which I admit does work well.

With the collaborative work of schools through diplomas etc I can imagine this working where a couple of schools share a teacher and that teacher is able to teach from the one school other students in other schools meaning the teacher does not have to travel etc. We undertook some research for our LA a couple of years ago where a teacher taught a history class in one school and we had several sixth form students watching and contributing via VC here. They was an OFSTED inspector at both venues to judge and grade the lesson and to see if our students had exactly the same lesson experience as the students at the other school.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread