+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, NetSupport, Group Policy & Event Ids 1030/1058 in Technical; In our current network setup we are using Active Directory and Group Policies being deployed to WinXP Pro Client computers ...

Thank Post

Question NetSupport, Group Policy & Event Ids 1030/1058

In our current network setup we are using Active Directory and Group Policies being deployed to WinXP Pro Client computers in several schools in our board. On those WinXP Pro computers we have installed NetSupport School 9.

Since we started pushing out policies to the WinXP Pro clients we started noticing event ids 1030 and 1058 appearing in the event viewer of computers connected to the domain. We thus begin troubleshooting these errors by every means possible and it eventually came down to NetSupport. We uninstalled this application as we did others before. After a restart we checked the event logs and there were no 1030 or 1058 events. Also, after removable, group policies applied quickly and logons were much faster.

Has anyone heard of this problem in regards to NetSupport? Could it have to do with it modifying msgina.dll?

They really like this program in the schools and we would like to continue to offer it but we also need to have our security working properly. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 1,459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have done the same as you, but not had any problems. Contact Netsupport for the latest ADM files.

Thank Post
    What about using the Deploy utility to install NSS? That's my chosen way of doing it... it's worked really well for us, no issues really and it's only a few clicks - same as a GPO really, but it doesn't have to process the GPO every boot

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 1,459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Its not a GPO to install NSS. Its to lock it down

Thank Post
    oooo... ignore me

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ucdsb View Post
    In our current network setup we are using Active Directory and Group Policies being deployed to WinXP Pro Client computers in several schools in our board. On those WinXP Pro computers we have installed NetSupport School 9.

Since we started pushing out policies to the WinXP Pro clients we started noticing event ids 1030 and 1058 appearing in the event viewer of computers connected to the domain. We thus begin troubleshooting these errors by every means possible and it eventually came down to NetSupport. We uninstalled this application as we did others before. After a restart we checked the event logs and there were no 1030 or 1058 events. Also, after removable, group policies applied quickly and logons were much faster.

Has anyone heard of this problem in regards to NetSupport? Could it have to do with it modifying msgina.dll?

They really like this program in the schools and we would like to continue to offer it but we also need to have our security working properly. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    I'll check these log Id's in the morning, see if I can figure out what they mean and why they are being logged.

Rob

Thank Post
    Here are the descriptions of the event ids coming up.

Event 1030
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Userenv
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1030
    Description:
    Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. Check the event log for possible messages previously logged by the policy engine that describes the reason for this.

Event 1058
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Userenv
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1058
    Description:
    Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO CN={31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=domain,DC=l ocal. The file must be present at the location <\\Random_Domain_Name.local\sysvol\domain.local\Po licies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\gpt.i ni>

Essentially what is happening is that NetSupport is somehow preventing the group policies from applying to the workstation and is slowing the logon process. This is even happening when the service is turned off. With NetSupport removed, group policies apply quickly and the computer logs in faster. We have not tried them yet but would the .adm files mentioned by FN-GreaterManchester help to alleviate this issue do you think?

Thank Post
    Its worth trying the updated templates. It rules that out if nothing else.

When you say it happens when the service is turned off do you mean the NetSupport client32.exe service is stopped?

I'll get one of techies to have a look at those even log entries and see if we can figure out whats going on.

Thank Post
    Our techies have found this article relating to those event log ID's:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834649

One thing that may be interfering and causing these is our LSP, this is active even if the main service is stopped so it could explain it.

I presume from your info. that you are located in Canada? If so could I ask that you contact our tech support people in Atlanta, GA (http://www.netsupport-inc.com/support/index.asp). They will then be able to talk you through gathering more detailed information that will help us diagnose the issue.

Rob

Thank Post
    Just noticed you have already raised a Problem Report with our tech support guys, I'll chase them up for you.

Rob

Thank Post
    Yes, it does happen when the client32.exe service is stopped.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread