+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, PC's dropping off the domain? in Technical; Had this happening before but now its happened again. Had some new PC's delivred that the company had imaged for ...
    Thank Post

PC's dropping off the domain?

Had this happening before but now its happened again. Had some new PC's delivred that the company had imaged for us before delivery. I changed thier name and created new SID's before adding them to the domain. All went well and that was just before Christmas, now this morning I had three of them at login say that they could not access the domain. Taking them off the domain and then readding them allowed them to work fully again as normal. Had this before with some PCs that had been imaged and once re added to the domain they have not caused a problem since, so hoping this is the case again but what causes it in the firts place. All other PC's have been fine and even PC's imaged at the same time as the three that played up this morning?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,091 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I wish I knew why it happens. I have a set of 21 machines and this very thing happens to one or two every 6 months or so. Sometimes I can take them off the domain and put them back and all is OK, but sometimes nothing works except a re-image. The only thing is they are in my 'old' IT suite which somehow doesn't 'see' the network quite as well as the computers in the new suite. They work fine, but, for example, it takes 40 mins to image one machine in that room, and 10 in the other.
    So maybe that has some bearing on the situation? Are yours all in the same place?

Thank Post
    Does Event Log have anything to say about it?

In the past where I've had PC's being wierd and just deciding they aren't allowed any group policies at all, the Event Log has given insight into its madness.

Thank Post
    When I next get a chance I'll have a look at the event log. Glad in some ways its not just me it happens to!

Thank Post

sysprep

have you tried sysprepping the machine, and using mini-setup/generate new sid

i have never really had any sucess with any other programs that are supposed to change the sid of a machine, the only reliable thing i have found is to sysprep

give it a go, if it stays on the domain, i'm sure it will be the sid altering software

Thank Post
    This happened to me with 2 laptops, upon further investigation it appears that the laptops had the same name!

Just a thought but if the machines are ghosted it could be something to do with identification and sid.

Thank Post
    A point to mention is, if you use a domain, it's preferable to not have the reference PC on the domain when it's referenced.

I made the mistake once with a room of computers and I kept doing the same thing, over and over again until I asked on the web

Thank Post
    I always sysprep a machine before taking it's image... That way you've got the new SSID + reset grace period and it runs through mini-setup for you and you can rename the machine there.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread