+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Urgent Help needed! in Technical; Hi all! This is my first post on these forums, and hopefully not my last! I work as a ICT ...

Thank Post

Urgent Help needed!

Hi all!

This is my first post on these forums, and hopefully not my last!

I work as a ICT and AV Technician at a school in gloucestershire.

I have a problem, our current network manager has accused me of browsing the internet while i should of been working. I deny this, however, he has produced what he claims, as factual evidence that i have been browsing the internet for 2 hours on one day.

This evidence was a report generated by Websense explorer (v6.3).

I do not dispute that the software is not accurate, on the contrary it appears to be very good. But, the URLs that websense has logged as my activity do not appear to be actual websites, however i believe they are in fact connections made to ad servers, by spyware cookies and in the case of urs.microsoft.com phishing data. (that is being sent back to microsoft). And also websites that contain google-analytics tracking code.

So what im asking, is if any of you guys can agree with me that, in fact, the websites in my picture are, mostly outside of my control. (i did not browse on them, the spyware did).

Any help would be much appreciated in this matter, as i would like to get my name cleared, for i have not done any wrong doing.

Thank you!

P.S. It is also part of my job to search for new AV and IT equipment, thus the main sites that i use for this is dabs and ebuyer.

Thanks!

This is the screenshot, this is not the only part of it, however, i felt that the first section contained enough for you guys to help me!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,890 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So, you left your browser open whilst ou did other things and the adware / banners kept a connection going whilst you didn't realise?

Fine ... test it. Tomorrow go to the bbc site for 10 mins and then to ne of the other sites for 15 mins, but click on nothing ... leave the browser and see what happens.

If things are the way you say they are this should generate enough evidence

3. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

The_GuRu (7th February 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hang on a sec. Are those times connection times? As in, the time that the server was communicating back and forth with the client? If so, then it would indicate that you had spent an awful lot more time online. Actually reading the stuff on sites takes a lot more time. I would say you could at least double the time for each site. And you can ignore all of the analytics details - as they can be initialised with Ajax on pages left open very easily. (Sites changing their adverts dynamically whilst you browse for example).

So, my guess would be that actual time browsing would be closer to an hour in total, with about 40 minutes of that being to dabs/ebuyer/microdirect.

5. Thanks to localzuk from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 935 Posts
    The times shown are the total amount of time spent on that site / accessing that site in the specified period of the report, so if its for a 24hr period, then for example, dabs.com is 9mins 30 seconds in total in that 24hrs.

It will be banner ads, and others stuff some of it, mine probably logs high as i leave Live Messenger signed in 24x7 and other sites like BBC opened and minimised all the time etc

7. Thanks to john from:

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Your NM's a bit draconian isn't he/she?! And obviously doesn't understand what happens when you leave a browser open on a site that has banner ads....

9. Thanks to tech_guy from:

Thank Post
    Sounds like n your network manager doesn't know what he's doing. Explain to him slowly...the way we have to with teachers.

11. Thanks to iatkinson from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    The times shown are the total amount of time spent on that site / accessing that site in the specified period of the report, so if its for a 24hr period, then for example, dabs.com is 9mins 30 seconds in total in that 24hrs.

It will be banner ads, and others stuff some of it, mine probably logs high as i leave Live Messenger signed in 24x7 and other sites like BBC opened and minimised all the time etc
    That doesn't explain anything I'm afraid - does it log the time the page is open on the client's machine or just time the time that data is passing back and forth between client and server? There would be a major difference between the 2.

13. Thanks to localzuk from:

Thank Post

Smile Thanks!

Thanks for the quick replies!

Its a good question, im not sure how websense is able to log the time on the net, ive searched their administrators guide and documentation on their site to no avail.

My understanding is that most websites, are not connection orientated, so im confused as to how it logs this.

Another concern i have is with Internet explorer 7, im sure like many of you, when a teacher rings or a job is placed on your helpdesk system you leave your pc, and everything that you were working on open on it until you come back.

If when i come back to the pc, and start accessing dabs, ebuyer etc again, will websense then say im still browsing on that particular site, even though i have been on a job for the last 10mins?

With IE 7, you can have multiple tabs/pages open at once in the same window........ is websense recording the activity of the other pages i dont have open and logging it has me actually browsing the net?

From what i am aware, websense it tied directly into our celestix firewall, and does not install client side software to aid its logging.

As a note, there is about 70 to 100 or more url entries to that log page, most of them are only 1 second long browse time and are ad servers or spyware cookies.

I would love to test out that theory, but the laptop i have been using for the last few months is not personal allocated one, i have been using and old tecra off the shelf(i have admittedly been told to bring my personel one in, however as i was only using it to access the help desk i did not see the need to). Thus the laptop is now gone, allocated to some teacher in a far gone area of the school.

My network manager has presented this to our business manager, so, it is not he i have to convice, it is my technically young business manger who has happily looked at the above evidence and taken it at face value, seen the total at the page end of 2hrs not having a clue what any of the log entries mean.

At the end of the day, atm, its my network mangers word against mine, and hes is the schools technical expert as such, and i am only a 'mere' technician.

So, i have a mamoth task ahead of me... theres alot of unbelievers that need to be enlightened, wish me luck!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,890 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Contact your union for assistance.

16. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

Thank Post
    It looks to me that you have a non techie with a new toy. Also sounds as though he has no idea of how the internet works, how modern websites work or even a basic idea of how to interprete the information.

Best go to your union, also maybe fire a shot across his / her bow about bullying as this certainly counts as causing unfounded stress.

I spend a good proportion of my time on the internet, during downtime or whilst waiting for things to complete, doing research, keeping my knowledge up to date.

I have browsers open all day, google mail for one.

However I do not browse sites unrelated to work, except during lunch.

18. Thanks to ICT_GUY from:

Thank Post
    Does the work get done at your place or are there always a lot of jobs left? If everything runs pretty smoothly then maybe explain to your network manager that as everything is running well in between jobs you were researching prices for new kit for the school network.

He/she should understand, and if he/she really does have an issue then there's a trust issue at your workplace. My manager trusts me to get on with work that needs doing, and I do it. Because of this relationship I'm also able to browse the internet at work.

If there really is an issue then maybe an investment in some helpdesk software could be a worthy cause, as it will monitor the time spent on jobs.

20. Thanks to Andi from:

Thank Post
    Scenario 1.

You are wasting company time and NM is out to nail you with hard evidence.

Good luck in trying to beat the rap

(Or just own up and don't do it again )

Scenario 2.

The NM thinks for some strange reason that you are wasting company time or doesn't like you and is just looking for an excuse to nail you.

Explain to (NMs) line manager that you are a good employee and ask for some time off normal duties to show how similar weblogs can be produced by just having a machine logged onto a legimate website while you are off doing other activities

Remember most humans operate on the smoke/fire scenario and are much more likely to believe the simplest explanation so you may have your work cut out .

Good luck again.

regards
    Simon
    PS back onto fixing network after power failure - this post was a test from the server to prove that the main connection is working

22. Thanks to SimpleSi from:

Thank Post
    I think your in a pretty strong position since the top 3 sites in your screenshot are all advertising, etc. In fact most of the ones in that list are.

Perhaphs you should get your NM to run a log on his own internet usage to show the use of advertising / searching engine tracking / etc.

As far as I can see you went on dabs, nzhearld, google, ebuyer, microdirect, edinburgh.gov.uk. It would seem that most of these arfe justifiable and work related...??

Cheers
    Jona

24. Thanks to Jona from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jona View Post
    As far as I can see you went on dabs, nzhearld, google, ebuyer, microdirect, edinburgh.gov.uk. It would seem that most of these arfe justifiable and work related...??
    I was thinking the same thing - you have some sites which are obviously banner adservers and a collection of sites which (with the exception of the NZ Herald) all seem business-related.

As others have suggested, is there perhaps a larger game of politics at play here? Is your NM "out to get you", as it were? Either way, accusations have been made about your effectiveness at work, and if I were you, I would get my union rep in on this.

26. Thanks to enjay from:

Thank Post

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    I was thinking the same thing - you have some sites which are obviously banner adservers and a collection of sites which (with the exception of the NZ Herald) all seem business-related.

As others have suggested, is there perhaps a larger game of politics at play here? Is your NM "out to get you", as it were? Either way, accusations have been made about your effectiveness at work, and if I were you, I would get my union rep in on this.
    This is something i believe fully in, and my union rep has gotten involved in.

I would quite happily put my hand up, presented with evidence that i browse the internet, and admit to it. As at the end of the day, you cant dispute that, its your user account, your pc, in a secure workshop.... etc

However, as seen, this is not the case. Im not saying i dont browse the internet, just not for the amount of time that has been claimed. And its not like this isnt obvious, the first 3 sites in the list are clearly not urls that i have browsed to, however my NM has conviently not mentioned this to the higher powers. Its extremly frustrating as im sure you will agree.

Things are about to get interesting!

And a BIG thank you to all that have contributed to this thread so far, your help is greatly appreciated! Im Glad im not going mad! Drinks are on me! ;-)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast