+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Urgent Help needed! in Technical; Originally Posted by The_GuRu However, as seen, this is not the case. Im not saying i dont browse the internet, ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The_GuRu View Post
    However, as seen, this is not the case. Im not saying i dont browse the internet, just not for the amount of time that has been claimed.
    Remember (or rather remind your NM) that Websense is only recording the amount of time those websites were displayed on your screen, not the amount of time you spent reading them.

2. Thanks to enjay from:

The_GuRu (19th February 2008)

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iatkinson View Post
    Sounds like n your network manager doesn't know what he's doing. Explain to him slowly...the way we have to with teachers.

LOL Ace post!

4. Thanks to tech_guy from:

PEO
    Thank Post
    your nm seem a little perfetic, why would he/she be monitoring you internet, just seems a little excessive.

6. Thanks to PEO from:

Thank Post
    Having just skim read through the Admin manual for this product you may want to ask for the same report to be run asking for Hits rather than time.
    If your top site lists a low number of hits then that would lend strength to your banner ad argument.
    Think about it, how many websites do you know that can actually keep anyones attention for 30 minutes solid without having to request new data, refresh content, navigate to a second page etc..

Websense considers a "hit" as one request for data from the listed URL. A banner ad or pop up is most likely going to ask for this stuff once and then just sit there. Whereas reading a news web site will list multiple hits for your one visit as you browse different news articles etc.

Also the Browse Time value is in itself a seperate report. Ask for the drill down data from the suspected adserver duration values. If it is an adserver then the information from this should lend weight to your "it was on and was left on" argument

oh and server.iad.liveperson.net is in fact a cookie which is used in quite a few common third party chat clients. If a regularly visited site uses one of these components then just visiting the site may very well install and activate the cookie (without actually initiating the embedded chat compnonent). More info can be gleaned from www.liveperson.com
    Last edited by JohnCondon; 7th February 2008 at 04:05 PM.

8. Thanks to JohnCondon from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    as long as you are doing your job properly what's the problem? So you go on the internet???? BIG DEAL. good job nobody monitors our internet usage here... all you'd get would be facebook and sky sports football.... honestly... if there is nothing better to do....

Look up your NM's browsing times and throw it in his face.

10. Thanks to Joanne from:

Thank Post
    You are correct - the "stateless" nature of the web means it is near impossible to calculate browsing times - and certainly you cannot prove that someone was viewing the site. As product manager at SmoothWall, I have seen our similar report deprecated due to inaccuracy - we *may* reintroduce it if there's demand, and we feel it can be made accurate. Other companies may not be as bothered about reporting accuracy.

I would be happy to speak to your NM/Head/Union rep/any or all of the above and explain this from a position of impartiality, and reasonable knowledge in the field.

Certainly before taking action, the actual browsing logs should be examined in detail - smells of witch hunt to me.

12. Thanks to tom_newton from:

Thank Post
    The browse time in Websense is defined by a user-configurable interval for how long a page should take to read. Each night, at 2am by default, it calculates all the browse times from the page hits and writes the results into the database.

The exact rules for browse time are available in the help for the database admin tool. Assuming you're on the most uptodate version of websense (6.3.1), it goes like this:

Internet Browse Time Configuration

Read Time Threshold (default - 3 minutes)

A session starts when a user opens a browser and HTTP traffic is generated. A session stays open as long as the user generates HTTP traffic with no time gap larger than the parameter set for the Read Time Threshold.

Note: Changing the IBT Read Time Threshold value will cause your Explorer IBT reports to be inconsistent. You should accept the default or change it as few times as possible.

Last Read Time (default - 3 minutes)

When the time gap of HTTP traffic is longer than the Read Time Threshold, the session is ended and the value of the Last Read Time is added to the session time. This is because it is assumed that there should be time associated with the last web page requested.

Click Update to set the edited Internet Browse Time Configuration options.

Note: After upgrade, these options return to the original default settings.
    Basically, any time you hit a page a 3 minute session is started because it assumes a gap of any less than 3 minutes constitutes continuous browsing. As John Condon says, you can change from browse time view to hits view with one click. That will show you each hit for you on that day in "time sequence" order. Different people have different levels of detail stored in their databases - our database is currently at a rather chunky 20GB - to balance storage space against more detail.

I would question how meaningful the browse-time-by-hostname is in itself. If I'm on edugeek.net it also seems to log approximately the same browse time for www.edugeek.net for that day, presumably because the site is giving me data from both hostnames. These times are then added together despite running concurrently. As people have said there is also the question of banners etc automatically reloading, which Websense will see as new activity. Finally, the aggregate data doesn't tell you how much of the time was spent during working hours.

You really do need to see the time sequence data to make a fair assessment. It can be exported to PDF directly within the page via the PDF icon near the top-right of your screenshot.

14. Thanks to sahmeepee from:

Thank Post

Thumbs up

I do apologise for not replying for a while!

However i thought that you would like to know that the internet evidence presented against me has now been thrown out thanks to it not being true!

A panel of governors agreed that the evidence "did not stack up" and was thrown out!

I provided the links and print offs of the replies to this thread as evidence and also used the expert advice of my CCNA lecturer.

I Would also like to say a BIG BIG thank you to Mr Tom Newton who volunteed to be an impartial 3rd party to back me up if needed.

I cannot thank you enough for the support, speically as we have not met or know each other!

A Big thanks to everyone who helped contribute to the thread, i owe you all! Although im unsure of exactly how to repay you all...!

Thank you from one very happy IT Tech!! ;-)

16. 2 Thanks to The_GuRu:

Edu-IT (20th February 2008), tech_guy (20th February 2008)

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Glad to hear everything worked out in your favour!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Great result! Well done

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Well Done

Thank Post
    Wasn't involved in the original thread but I'm curious to know whether your NM's obvious management "style" issues were resolved or not?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm glad we could help.

*gets all warm and fluffy inside*

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12