+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, network cabling contractor in Technical; For the past 8 years our school has a single contractor who is doing our cabling, switches and wireless APs ...

Thank Post

network cabling contractor

For the past 8 years our school has a single contractor who is doing our cabling, switches and wireless APs (basically all the infrastructure work). I have only started working in this school for the past 4 months and i noticed that they do not do a professional job (our library was down for over a week because of a faulty switch but they were taking their time to attend). I am now strongly considering finding another company to provide us with the services stated, point to be noted is that we also have to keep the current contractor because of the work they done in the past is covered under their maintenance. but I am worried whether having 2 or more contractors will generate more problems such as blaming each other for problems that may arise in the future.
    Please advice me on the above and if you think there will be no problem then could you give me your suggestion that which company should i use that you have experience with and do a good job and are (professional, competitive, reliable).

thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ralco McNeils here they do 99% of networking and av working very good company.

Russ

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    Ralco McNeils here they do 99% of networking and av working very good company.

Russ
    we are based in north west London

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Fine they go all over the uk I mean will travel just about anywhere ...

Give them a call.

Russ

Thank Post
    point to be noted is that we also have to keep the current contractor because of the work they done in the past is covered under their maintenance.
    When does your contract with the current person end? The reason I'm asking is because if you get another company to do any work for you which involves changing some of the work which your current contractor has done then will there be problems?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 1,416 Posts
    Doesn't sound like they have a contract with their existing firm just that the school has employed one firm to do all their work.

Have you confonted the company with your concerns? if so what did they say, if you haven't maybe you should.

I use 1 cabling contractor for everything that is paid for directly from the school but lea funded projects are likely to use another firm.

Never had any issues with one contractor blaming another.

Ben

Thank Post
    I have put forward my concerns to the contractor, but he is trying to put the blame on my department, saying that we have done something wrong causing the switches to pack up, which has greatly frastrated me, and he is trying to get me out of the picture and speak to my line manager. i have explained the cause of the problem and the delayed response from the company and she has fully backed me up. I dont see a positive reation between me and the contractor hence i want to bring someone else in.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by z4ydi View Post
    I have put forward my concerns to the contractor, but he is trying to put the blame on my department, saying that we have done something wrong causing the switches to pack up, which has greatly frastrated me, and he is trying to get me out of the picture and speak to my line manager. i have explained the cause of the problem and the delayed response from the company and she has fully backed me up. I dont see a positive reation between me and the contractor hence i want to bring someone else in.
    If that is how they behave, I'd jump ship and find someone new anyway. If something goes wrong with something of theirs in the future, they sound like they would argue about it regardless of whether you had a new contractor or not.

Thank Post
    I'd have to agree with Localzuk... Ditch them and run...

As to the rest, ensure that your new cabler/supplier is aware of the potential issue and ask them to ensure that they fully document all the work they do so you can deal with any attempts to palm off responsibility to them.

At the end of the day though you may find it's better and more cost effective to just dump them and replace stuff yourself rather than spend hours and money arguing the toss with an unprofessional firm.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We use NETbuilder LTD fantastic company, Cheap, Reliable, good warranty on the work they do and all the staff are very friendly. They have recently done alot of work for us and I would recommend them to anybody.

http://netbuilder.co.uk/

Thank Post
    datacabling installations limited.

quote my name: chrissmall - IT Network Manager for Rutlish School

Guaranteed HONESTY, QUALITY, RESPECT and BEST PRICES. What you got to loose.

Sam Barr - 07968871935
    http://www.dci-ltd.co.uk/
    Last edited by chrissmall; 21st May 2008 at 12:44 PM. Reason: added contact Name and Number

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 1,416 Posts
    If a switch has packed up then what make/model is it?

If it's under warranty then just have it replaced direct.

Ben

Thank Post
    Ditch them - a new company will take on the support of the existing kit.

Give Network & Cabling Solutions a ring on 01622 791001 - they cover pretty much everywhere (def London) - they've moved with me from school to school, known their directors for 10 odd years. Try to get them to send out Dave Pateman.

Thank Post
    We use Frontweb Services who can also do any electrical work and office refurbs if required. Not sure they do a maintenance contract but we have not had to call them out for anything.

Tel 024 76673322 Based in Coventry but cover the UK.

They are a subcontracting company to JBC Computers http://www.jbc.co.uk/ who will do the maintenance contracts. It's up to you whether you contact them direct or go via JBC either way you will get the same engineers
    Last edited by alan-d; 21st May 2008 at 02:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Teksys are educational approved & did ours to a good standard.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast