+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Spiceworks cannot connect in Technical; I have been using Spiceworks for some time now and like it's simplicity. However, I keep getting errors from some ...
    Thank Post

Spiceworks cannot connect

I have been using Spiceworks for some time now and like it's simplicity. However, I keep getting errors from some of the laptops. Spiceworks can recognise the machines but can only connect to the wireless cards.

This is fine if the machine in question is within range of an access point, if not the icon shows the machine to be off line. I know that the laptops are plugged into the network, I've tested it on my desk, but Spiceworks displays a connection error on the wired IP address.

Has anyone come across this issue? Whilst this is not a life and death problem it is rather annoying.

Many thanks.

Thank Post
    I'm confused. If the laptops aren't in range of a wireless access point then how do they connect to the network? Are you saying that when the laptops are connected to the wireless network Spiceworks detects them but when they're connected via cable it doesn't?

Thank Post

Re: Spiceworks connection issues

Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    I'm confused. If the laptops aren't in range of a wireless access point then how do they connect to the network? Are you saying that when the laptops are connected to the wireless network Spiceworks detects them but when they're connected via cable it doesn't?
    Yep that's exactly what I mean. I had one of the laptops on the desk next to my computer. It found the access point and connected to the network. Spiceworks found it and displayed correctly. I plugged the cable into the network socket and switched off the wireless card - Spiceworks threw a wobbly and gave me an error on the wired IP and an offline icon on the wireless IP.

Thank Post
    Have you tried connecting the laptop to the network via cable and then running the inventory scanner and seeing whether or not it still comes up with errors after the scan has completed? You might also want to send an email to Spiceworks support and see what they have to say. The support they provide is excellent in my opinion.

Thank Post
    My first guess would be a DNS issue. If you navigate to the 'Inventory' tab and select 'DNS' do you see any errors? Chances are there is a stale record out there. You can try flushing your DNS records (Start > Run > cmd > C:\>ipconfig /flushdns.

What bucket is the laptop going into? i.e. workstation, unknowns? What did the error read?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpicyGirl View Post
    My first guess would be a DNS issue. If you navigate to the 'Inventory' tab and select 'DNS' do you see any errors? Chances are there is a stale record out there. You can try flushing your DNS records (Start > Run > cmd > C:\>ipconfig /flushdns.

What bucket is the laptop going into? i.e. workstation, unknowns? What did the error read?
    Laptops go into a Laptop category.
    Message from the wired connection:
    This device appears to be a Windows computer, but it isn't responding to remote requests. This can happen for a number of reasons including permission settings for the user specified.
    Whereas the wireless connection is fine.

I have flushed the DNS and it hasn't made any difference, even after a full re-scan of the network. And yes I tried scanning just the one laptop with the same result.

Frustrating or what?

Thank Post
    There is a post about this on the Spiceworks community site, I'm not sure whether it will help you though. My advice would be to contact the support team at Spiceworks as suggested in the post on the community site.

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2923

Thank Post
    There is a post about this on the Spiceworks community site, I'm not sure whether it will help you though. My advice would be to contact the support team at Spiceworks as suggested in the post on the community site.

Thanks for this I will pop over there and take a look.

Thank Post

I actually am Spiceworks support, thought I'd pop over and see if I could help some users on here

Do you have a firewall enabled on the device?

Thank Post

I actually am Spiceworks support, thought I'd pop over and see if I could help some users on here

Do you have a firewall enabled on the device?
    No, firewall is switched off. I've now got another laptop with the same symptoms. Let's me in on the wireless IP but not on the LAN - most odd. Thanks for the support is it most appreciated.

Thank Post
    Just to check - is the firewall completely disabled, or is it just disabled for the wireless interface?

Thank Post

Firewall off

Quote Originally Posted by mrcrazy04 View Post
    Just to check - is the firewall completely disabled, or is it just disabled for the wireless interface?
    Completely and utterly OFF for both cards.

Thank Post
    leco,

I think its time for us to take a look at your log files rather than speculate what may be causing the issue. Can you please send a support request to Spiceworks at support@spiceworks.com. Be sure to advise that the firewall is off and give us the error. Also, please send us your log files, below is a link with instructions.

http://community.spiceworks.com/help...y_Log_Files%3F

Thank Post
    leco,
    I think its time for us to take a look at your log files rather than speculate what may be causing the issue. Can you please send a support request to Spiceworks at support@spiceworks.com. Be sure to advise that the firewall is off and give us the error. Also, please send us your log files, below is a link with instructions.
    OK will try and do this tomorrow - been busy today with auditors wanting asset reports:-(

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread