+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Security of RMCC3 in Technical; Sadly, I have tried that and failed....

Thank Post
    Sadly, I have tried that and failed.

Thank Post
    I called RM themselves but no one can talk to me because I don't have a support contract! I explained my problem but there was nothing to be done.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,632 Posts
    If you have tried and failed with the governors, you probably need to go to the LEA... something along the lines of your childe being disadvantaged as he/she heads towards GSCEs by not being able to use the computers and software wavailable in school.

Thank Post
    Thanks - yes, I am considering this and am trying to gain some technical knowledge first.

Thank Post
    So if I've understood this correctly your son was banned from the school network because his email account was used to send spam emails. Have you got copies of the email messages and as somebody else mentioned have you seen the email headers? The security of the network is irrelevant I feel. You can send spam email messages regardless of whether a network is secure or not. Can I also ask why are you investigating this now? Two years seems an awful long time to sit on something like this.

If I was you I would firstly request to see the email messages and the headers of the email, to confirm that they're not spoofed messages. I would then want to know the exact reasoning for the ban and why the school feel that your son is a threat to the network. If the emails are harmless then a slap on the wrist and a reminder not to do it again would seem a fair punishment to me. That does of course depend on who the spam emails were sent to and the contents of the email. Nevertheless banning a user from the whole network for that seems a little unfair. Surely they could have just prevented him from using the school email facilities?

The school fears that if the child has access to its email via its website they will be able to get further into the system.
    You said that the child can now access email through the website so what is the issue here? If they're letting your son access email from home, presumably through the website, then surely they no longer feel that his access is a threat?
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 20th February 2008 at 09:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Right feel should chime in here sure ALice101 will not mind me saying I have spoken off the public forum to her about this. Issue is no longer about email issue is about accessing email from with in school and what school feel that he maybe able to gain access to by logging into the school system. So question she asked about security of cc3 networks was the right question as emails being sent really is besides the point.

Russ

Thank Post
    So if I've understood this they've banned him from the network because they feel that he is a threat. Without reading through the thread again I'm sure I recall Alice101 saying that he had not attempted to hack the network before so I am wondering what their reasoning for this is. There has to be more to it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Right as alice101 said student was accused of sending some spam emails and child's had the access disabled to the computers. They will now allow student to use email at home but still will not allow access to the computers in school. As they feel that student can access stuff from computers that should not be able to aka feel student is a risk to the system.

So alice101 question about how secure cc3 network is good question so around about way if logged into a out of box cc3 system;

A) Could the student access secure confidential information such as student records.

No unless the school had made system unsecure

b) What would student have access to under a student login.

Student shared area and running programs from start menu such as Microsoft office

Russ
    Last edited by russdev; 21st February 2008 at 11:39 AM.

Thank Post
    So shouldn't they ban ALL students from the network if they have the same permissions? If Alice's son hasn't gone out his way to attempt to hack the network then he is just as much a a threat to the network as any other student who has an account with the same permissions.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123