+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Security of RMCC3 in Technical; Originally Posted by Jose This is true but surely any system designed to be used in a school would be ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose View Post
    This is true but surely any system designed to be used in a school would be designed to work with these software products regardless of whose fault it is.
    Solutions providers should provide solutions not excuses.
    Sorry to jump on the band wagon but have not had problems running decent software. Some I have interesting times with but not had to reject any software for being impossible.

Now I will highlight my term, "decent". We have rejected some absolutely crud software. Demanding write access to the whole of c:, not allowing any option of where to install etc etc. Now I could have made these work but I wasn't likely to do that. As for saying that CC3 should magically be able to make any software work with out comprimising security.. Well anyone that can produce that will instantly get my money and eternal adoration.

Software vendors should produce decent software not piles of poo but hey, thats life. You may as well say that I should be able to buy a gallon of crude oil & stick it in my car. Should work, engine produces should make it so.

& while I am being picky & stroppy you do realise the term RM Luddite is an oxymoron? Be like having a Ford Pedestrian.

& WHY AM I STUCK ON CAR ANALOGIES!!!!!!?????

I have to go to my cupboard now

Ohhh and as for default security, I would agree with the bit over zealous. As with any system though make sure you know what you are doing before you slacken security as you can't blame a system security if you told it to allow something. 5-6 years here without incident (touch wood).
    Last edited by TechMonkey; 21st January 2008 at 03:37 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    Is it just me that's slightly concerned about a person signing up on this board just to ask how easy it is to hack into a network?

Andrew
    No, I am a parent of a child who has been banned from using the school computer system because they think the child might be able to hack it, although they have never done so in the past. I am trying to find out, therefore, how secure the system is so that I can try to persuade the school to change its mind.

Many thanks for all the posts.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice101 View Post
    No, I am a parent of a child who has been banned from using the school computer system because they think the child might be able to hack it, although they have never done so in the past. I am trying to find out, therefore, how secure the system is so that I can try to persuade the school to change its mind.

Many thanks for all the posts.
    In that case my appologies! So your child has not actually been proven to have hacked the network? If not - I do not see how they could ban your child from the network because of a "percieved / possible threat".

Out of the box CC3 is very secure. It can of course be made very insecure by inexperienced / bad managment... but that is the same with any system.

Butuz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose View Post
    This is true but surely any system designed to be used in a school would be designed to work with these software products regardless of whose fault it is.
    Solutions providers should provide solutions not excuses.
    Basically you're saying that if Ford made a new Mondeo that was twice as wide as the old one, so that it no longer fitted on most UK roads - you would expect the Gov't to dig up all of the roads in the UK and make them twice as wide, JUST to fit this one badly designed poorly executed car? Personally - i would blame ford...they should be sensible enough to make cars that actually fit on 99% of UK roads.......

Edit - haha another car analogy

Butuz

Thank Post
    Thanks - I know very little about computers and don't understand a lot of what's in the above posts! However, there does seem to be general agreement that it's a secure system.

Thank Post
    I think it really depends what form the "hack" took. There are entire forums on the net dedicated to "hacking" RM CC3 but it all depends how an individual school has it setup.

I personally don't think it is any more or less secure than a vanilla network....

Cheers
    Jona

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,603 Posts
    Alice101 - all of us manage our networks with the intention of them being secure; whether they are CC3 or not.

If you have been browsing this board in the month you have been a member, you will also see that some of us (particularly those in secondary education) spend a significant amount of time bolting things down, because, no matter what is in place, the little dears will try to get round the network security to run their flash games, get on facebook, or whatever.

I am in no way implying that this is what you child has been doing; I'm just trying to explain why school IT staff can get uptight.

Do you know in what way your child is supposed to have endangered the school network? It may help us to help you.

Thank Post
    The problem started when some spam emails were sent to the school from an external machine. The content was harmless. The school fears that if the child has access to its email via its website they will be able to get further into the system.

Thank Post
    Did the spam emails originate from your child's email address? Have you seen full headers - proving what account they came from?

Thank Post
    No - from another computer : I don't know how it was done. It was well over 2 yrs ago and the school ban is still running.

The strange thing, to me, is that the child is now allowed to access the school email from their own home computer - because the school is so inconvenienced by the ban. If it's ok to do this from home, why is it unsafe to do it within school? Is there any difference?

Thank Post
    So 2 years ago, your child was banned from the school network due to spam emails that were sent to their school email address?

My son has rules in place in his home-school agreement saying that his schoool email is not to be used for any contact witht the outside world. It's a major disciplinary offence... maybe this is where the problem started?

At my school, we use RM's EasyMail which is not brilliant, but one thing I can do is set up quickly who the students are allowed to send and receive emails from. They are set at "Local and schools", so they can only send and receive emails between themselves and other .sch.uk email addresses. (I'm in the primary sector, so this is possibly overkill for secondary)

I would think that a lifetime ban at school seems a little silly, if the child has access from home. I would have thought that use only when the child could be supervised at school would have been more appropriate. I'm sure your school is aware of hacking via the internet! A carefully worded letter to the school governors may be in order.

Thank Post
    I just checked the home-school agreement (secondary school) and there is no reference to emails specifically and to whom then can/cannot be sent.

Thank Post
    Alice you may be able to glean so more ammunition/information about cc3 from this

http://www.secondarycc3.rm.com/

Thank Post
    Many thanks indeed.

Thank Post
    Since it seems to be an e-mail issue the fact that is a CC3 network seems to be largely irelavent to me. I would have thought a letter sent to the head / bursar / network manager at the school requesting the ban to be reconsidered / lifted in light of the amount of time passed would be the best way forward.

Cheers
    Jona

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast