+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Network and Classroom Management Thread, staff discipline in Technical; Dont know much about macs but just found this; http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...orwindows.html Thats what he had on there I think. Still it ...
    Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    Dont know much about macs but just found this;
    http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...orwindows.html

Thats what he had on there I think. Still it shows his intentions or look suspicious

Just spoke to the building manager who is testing the one left win98 box I think this will help underline the issue (ill grab the pc's same time would be best).. He doing it tommorow

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Bonjour is an Apple network protocol.
    <pedant>Bonjour is the Apple branding of their zeroconf solution and formerly it was called Rendezvous. Bonjour is an IETF standardised version as it is compatible with SLP, the version which was standardised with other companies including Sun, HP and Novell. In reality it now uses mDNS and DNS-SD but keeps the backward compatibility with SLP.

Back in the day the .local was the domain 'suffix' used within the hosts table to make use of mDNS or SLP. This was documented but Microsoft still included using .local as good practice for a W2K based domain with no FQDN. This led to a series of issues with systems trying to integrate into Windows networks if they had some zeroconf functionality. An example was the inability to authenticate or bind Macs to a windows network. Apple and Sun have since worked on this and from 10.4 onwards it did not matter that .local was used in a Windows domain.

A number of MS courses *still* refer to .local as the domain to be used for domains with no FQDN, and everyone else has learnt to work around it.</pedant>

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    Blacksheep> this sounds scarily familar, which SouthWales school are you in? If you don't want it public, PM me, but is it near the valleys?

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    I dont care that much who knows where I am (been here too long!) but its easier to be not linked directly, lets say its on the valley side of Bridgend but I am not up the valleys, although its a valley serving school! Is that enough info? At least that wont come up on the search! PM me if you want more.
    After all its nice to talk to like minded people who understand, as I wont get that with many issues here! Busy board though, I bet SLT are lurking lol

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    thats ok then, thought you were the person unlucky enough to have taken over my old post in an 'end of the line' valley school and the mice had been at play whilst the cat was away for 6-9months

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    >play whilst the cat was away for 6-9months

Id expect they dont see why there would be a problem if the machines were wide open, DIY installs etc.! IF anythng like here..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far, at least I dont feel im the only one who thinks it should be done right. Lots of problems with that department as that one guys mentality has seemed to spread to others to some degree and the HOD is not exactly friendly. Through hassling the management he has managed to get admin (local!) access to his PC (or the schools PC where he sits!) and one other guy did in the dept. but I have made them sign policy sheet to say that any illegal software installed is their responsibilty plus a nice but about if they try anything on like network scanning I will disconnect them from the school net (and I will regardless of Head).
    The 98 machines are the other story but he will only try to get more with time, he has got this far. The original 98 box procurment was years ago but they all but been decommisioned by me over time. Just these other 4 still remain.
    FYI I am the school network manager (they officially call me network coordinator whatever that means, probably viewed as IT technician).
    Did I mention the big wallet of copied CDs and the 'well they do it in other schools' reply I get!
    'home machine' mentality is the best way I can describe it
    OK.. in our School only 2 people have the Administrator Password.. that's me the ICT Manager and the Head Teacher... even the HOD does not have anything above staff access to the site PC's...

Don't worry about little things like copied CD's worry about the bigger things of being in charge of you network...

Thank Post
    Hard drive magenets waved not so gently across the mobo. Works a treat.

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    Or just remote manage the PC, mess with the registry and put him in the queue to repair "Well only if you hadnt messed with it.."

>Copied CDs
    Yeh well ive "told him" and on the policy I put a part about staff being responsible for installing any CDs (on the machines with admin access), and that they must be original/legal copies. It wont actually do much but ive covered myself at least.

Last week he is trying to get my asst.tech to give him a spare monitor. It turns out not for school use either, either way I would want a fault reported.
    Thankfully this one isnt easily pressured, you wont beleive some of the Uni trainees I have had managment problems with. Senior managment is a bit of a laugh not really in touch with the real day to day issues I have to deal with. Dont expect them to discipline someone they dont see why I got a problem half the time!

Admin rights to his department FFS what next, why the hell do I hit a wall with senior-management with that one! "well my machine in the house" etc. and it looks like the whole department just think im a control freak now.. idiots!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    Or just remote manage the PC, mess with the registry and put him in the queue to repair "Well only if you hadnt messed with it.."

>Copied CDs
    Yeh well ive "told him" and on the policy I put a part about staff being responsible for installing any CDs (on the machines with admin access), and that they must be original/legal copies. It wont actually do much but ive covered myself at least.

Last week he is trying to get my asst.tech to give him a spare monitor. It turns out not for school use either, either way I would want a fault reported.
    Thankfully this one isnt easily pressured, you wont beleive some of the Uni trainees I have had managment problems with. Senior managment is a bit of a laugh not really in touch with the real day to day issues I have to deal with. Dont expect them to discipline someone they dont see why I got a problem half the time!

Admin rights to his department FFS what next, why the hell do I hit a wall with senior-management with that one! "well my machine in the house" etc. and it looks like the whole department just think im a control freak now.. idiots!
    Go at it from a different angle.

Have a policy where the admin password changes on a daily basis for "security" or change it to a 16 digit hexidecimal number.

Have a personal admin account that you use for yourself "so you can track what you do" (which is human friendly).

You will find that most people will give in pretty damn quickly, tough password security policies knock the wind out of lusers sails very very quickly.

(I used to use this tatic when I had idiot kids come in who had difficulty answering the question what password do you want? When they had to type in a 32 character password correctly, they pretty much always had an answer next time.)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    OK.. in our School only 2 people have the Administrator Password.. that's me the ICT Manager and the Head Teacher... even the HOD does not have anything above staff access to the site PC's...
    I don't understand why anyone in schools other than the IT support folks have the admin password. No-one else needs it as far as I can see.

Thank Post
    Same here noone outside IT support has an admin password.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    same here... I dread to think what could happen if certain members of staff got on the servers!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    No one has the admin password here but me and a trusted TA (not even the IT co ordinator)

Thank Post

bonjour

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Bonjour is an Apple network protocol.
    This will be on there from installing iTunes

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12