+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Internal Private IP Address Range, Need Advice! in Technical; Originally Posted by Michael I'm sure if you go through the right channels, additional IPs can be allocated by simply ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I'm sure if you go through the right channels, additional IPs can be allocated by simply tweaking the subnet mask (easiest way).

As I say, for most Primary schools a 255.255.252.0 subnet offering 1024 IPs should be suffice.
    This is exactly what I'm after. will be contacting the LEA when I get back in to the office tomorrow and see if this is an option over another IP address range!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickC View Post
    I'm in the same boat. /24 subnet mask and starting to run out of addresses. Noob question. Why do we have to use countys internal IP range? Why can't the router have the 10.0.x.x etc address and then NAT to the whole school and use what ever address scheme we want?
    Quite. We just left a couple of servers on the internal range, used a bit of firewalling, and deployed a huge internal range that allowed us to section off areas as much as we liked - not sure our LEA would have liked that, but we did it when we went Academy...our ISP were not overly pleased, but once we set up the change requests for the NAT it all worked as we'd imagined.

3. Thanks to Gibson335 from:

speckytecky (11th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Well yes and no, have you run out of IPs at a Birmingham school? I haven't as yet, not even close.
    Only because I am aware of the limitation and keep us within it.
    Last edited by foofighterjim; 10th July 2014 at 04:25 PM.

Thank Post
    Could you add a Guest Wifi for the gadgets and keep the main wifi for official domain devices? (depending on the policy of whether you give out the wifi key or not I guess)...

Following some issues of it being given out, we no longer give out the main curric wifi key, but people use the guest wifi as required, that has a 192.168.0.0 range, so doesn't affect our main domain/dhcp range...

6. Thanks to RichCowell from:

Thank Post
    Do your LEA provide a gateway? In Brum we have CISCO 2500s set up to route traffic out to the MAN, the core proxy servers and ultimately the internet.

If they provide all of this, your really don't want to be changing subnet masks - you may end up cutting your users off from LEA resources/the internet.

I'd also not arbitrarily pick a new IP range and add it to your DHCP - your LEA may have assigned that to another school and you could cause no end of headaches.

If you can't get the LEA to any of this, try VLANing.

8. Thanks to Trapper from:

Thank Post
    Jim: Brum have plenty of IP ranges left. I've have 5 full address ranges. Four are continuous and were assigned back when BGfL started. The fifth was for our remote site annex and they just pulled a range out for me.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RichCowell View Post
    Could you add a Guest Wifi for the gadgets and keep the main wifi for official domain devices? (depending on the policy of whether you give out the wifi key or not I guess)...

Following some issues of it being given out, we no longer give out the main curric wifi key, but people use the guest wifi as required, that has a 192.168.0.0 range, so doesn't affect our main domain/dhcp range...
    we use ruckus wifi equipment. so we already do that. but im aware of us maxing out pretty soon on IPs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    Do your LEA provide a gateway? In Brum we have CISCO 2500s set up to route traffic out to the MAN, the core proxy servers and ultimately the internet.

If they provide all of this, your really don't want to be changing subnet masks - you may end up cutting your users off from LEA resources/the internet.

I'd also not arbitrarily pick a new IP range and add it to your DHCP - your LEA may have assigned that to another school and you could cause no end of headaches.

If you can't get the LEA to any of this, try VLANing.
    well if the LEA gives us the new IP range then it shouldnt conflct, unless someone out there is using it unofficially. then id superscope them both together. if as you say subnetting will be more of a issue.

im not confident in using VLans, so thats not an option right now. will look into it in the near future

Thank Post
    Just tweaking subnets on your Routers seems a risky business if your provider has not allocated them to you! If this is a truly managed network that they are providing for you I would also say that giving individual schools the keys to the realm seems an erroneous practice to me and if tech departments in and around Birmingham have just been allowed to participate in such activities then it must make for a very flaky network and I guess that this is really not the case.

NAT would seem the way to go here as this then frees you from the shackles of this type of setup, you know where your network starts and the Brum network ends. Anything you do on your side of the NAT is irrelevant to anything past the NAT. This also gives you more scope for managing and securing your own internal network. If indeed external companies need access to internal resources then you have a whole host of available IP’s that you can direct NAT to etc etc.

On the other hand I can see why this type of setup is installed as there is an extra layer of hardware needed in most cases by each school and someone in each school to be available to manage that, so as a cost approach the install is not the wrong way.

Note that I am guessing a bit here as I do not know the ins and outs of your individual networks, and it’s a bit like plumbing what makes sense to one don’t always make sense to another! But that does not make any solution wrong or right.
    Last edited by HPlum78; 11th July 2014 at 11:26 AM.

Thank Post
    thank you all for your suggestions. i think taking into consideration of support from our LEA Networks team it might just be easier to have another ip range then super scope them together.

If we moved away from the LEA Network team support i think it would be plausible to run a NAT within my network. I don't want to over complicate things, and i dont think i would need any more than another 100 ips as for the size of the building and the amount of wireless hardware we have

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12