+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, IT Team sizes? in Technical; Morning all, I'm currently fighting the case why we need our team. I'm interested in seeing how you guys cope, ...

Thank Post

IT Team sizes?

Morning all,

I'm currently fighting the case why we need our team. I'm interested in seeing how you guys cope, how many Network Engineers/Technicians and or a Network Manager do you have?

How big is your team? How big is the schools network?

Cheers in advance!

Thank Post

Re: IT Team sizes?

My schools are a maximum of 100 computers with 2-3 servers, i am in for only one half day a week, with part of the hardware contract for the servers with a third party and the software with a network manager back at the office. We also have a projects team which works on new builds/upgrades and plugging any gaps which occur the teams are usually one 1-2 people though.

Thank Post

We have a Network Manager, ICT Technician, AV Technician, ICT Learning Resource Consultant, Primary Firstaider and Minibus driver. 5 Servers, 100+ curriculum machines, 30+ admin. Oh and there's just me and I have been known to clear blockages in the toilets!

Thank Post

2 technicians for about 450 XP clients - 4 servers and lots of lovely, lovely PDAs

1 technician (me) for the training centre - 70 XP machines, IP cameras etc

Thank Post

We have over 700 machines, and have 7 outreach sites (mainly primary schools). There's 2 placement students (me being one of them) as technician. There’s another technician that we hardly see as he's always at primary schools.
    We have a network manager, and an ICT Manager. Then there are two people that look after the learning gateway, but from time to time will help us with things.

So in total there are 6 of us in the office, with another one who is at our school over the holidays but at primary schools the rest of the time.

ooo, forgot the AV Technician. Although he now does some teaching aswell.

Thank Post

We have 1450 students (11-18) and approx 150 staff. 600 odd computers/laptops, usual kind of server and comms infrastructure, Smartboards, projectors etc

All the SIMs stuff including Census, implementing Lesson Monitor etc

Additionally we give our primary schools/partner schools 2 hours a week each of onsite tech support (we currently have 12 of those). Also we do other one off events eg. sports day, fashion show, productions etc.

We have me (ICT Technical Manager), 1 Senior Tech and 2 technicians (both training on the job). We are all term time only + 4 weeks so we usually have 1 person in on any given day of the hols.

Oh yes - I do first aid too

Hope that helps.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,501 Posts

1 server, 30 PCs, 140 kids, 25 staff and me (20 hours pw in term time + some holiday work)

I do, however, run the library and do the School's publicity in those hours as well.

Thank Post

We're a medium sized secondary school, 1009 students, 175 staff, 500 desktop PCs, 200 wireless laptops, 11 servers and lots and lots of cable.

There's 4 of us, one ICT coordinator who runs us all, Development Engineer (me!) and two technicians. We manage well, but really do need 4 people most of the time.

Mike.

Thank Post

Me + 1 technician for everything
    All requests for additional technician are given the auto-generated "We haven't got any money" response..

Despite the school spending precious £'s on painting ridiculous lines across the playground marking out where we can and cannot walk!!!!

Thank Post

We have:
    around 900 pupils, around 160 PCs, 160 thin clients;
    about 80 teachers all with laptops.
    20ish admin staff with PCs
    9 servers hosting: website, CMIS, TS, exchange, curriculum areas, staff areas plus all the usual DNS, DHCP, etc.
    We do the PA System, Content distribution screens, lighting rig, resource bookings e.g. cameras
    I also do timetabling and assessment.

In my team there is me (IT Manager) 2 techs. One spends 50% of his time at primary and infants - giving me 1.5 techs.
    We have just been given an admin member of staff, who will take calls a la help desk style, and also do some little bits and bobs for us. They've not really taken much of his other duties off him though.

Thank Post

1400 pupils and 130 ish staff. 500 PC's, 7 servers, 40 ish laptops, IP cameras and video conferencing. oh and SIMS which seems to consume allot of time.

We have 3 staff 2 full time one term time only.

Thank Post

1 NM (me) and 1 tech asst for approx 500 machines (inc 100 laptops) 7 servers, 25 aironets, split site (2 miles apart), 1200 pupils and approx 120 staff. I also teach 4 hours a week (was 8 hours) and do first aid..............

I managed to get requirement for an additional technician mentioned in the inspection report a year ago, I'm still waiting............

Approx 8 Servers, 120 Workstations, 100 Laptops, 50 Projectors+IWBs spread over 4 schools for me.

Thank Post

Superb results so far, all results show that our team of four is most definitely needed! We support over 800 machines, roughly 300 being laptops! Along with another site (leisure center) that has three servers and roughly 15 client machines.

22 servers if I remember correctly on the main site, loads of media kit and so forth.

We are hoping to get another member!

We're a brand new site, brand new kit, and loads of it! Would you agree we could do with another member? Another question, are your sites fairly new?

I presume newer sites will have more kit, requiring more staffing?

Cheers!

Thank Post

Hi Paul,

I thought it would only be a matter of time before the Principle there started cutting back, and what really annoys me is the amount of “tax payers” money that was wasted on clueless “consultants” with no educational background who thought nothing of lining their pockets with it.

I have provided link to a document on the BECTA website (link below) that you may be able to use as leverage however, I fear that the fact that the Principle there listened to these “consultants” and never really embraced the opportunity to use ICT to enhance teaching and learning, you are on a looser mate.

http://schools.becta.org.uk/upload-d...echnicians.pdf

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast