+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Laptops not working properly offline, cached profiles and adobe reader - CC3 in Technical; Hi All Quick question about laptops being used away from a school on CC3 Normally they cache the profiles, but ...

Thank Post

Laptops not working properly offline, cached profiles and adobe reader - CC3

Hi All
    Quick question about laptops being used away from a school on CC3

Normally they cache the profiles, but I have 1 school where I can log in but my documents doesn't work. Simply states the location isnt available or similar.
    What do I need to do to the laptops to make them cache profiles and their docs (which are obviously normally stored on the server)
    Are there specific packages or applications I need to be checking or could it be settings in RMMC done wrong?

Sorry, I inherited the school and I'm new to CC3 (just started with it last year)

Also,
    there is also a long running issue which is that Adobe Reader doesn't work when the computers are offline or away from the school network.
    C++ error, I believe it's related to redirected folders or the like.

I experiemented for a while this week and the only way I could make it work was by running the program as a local user. ie right click - run as - and pick an account.
    Can't do that as a teacher, I was just trying as systemadmin.

It did work perfectly fine but not keen on setting up a local user on every computer needing to use it at home!
    I can make a shortcut that runs the commands to create an account, and launch reader using that account but it needs an admin account to run the part that creates the user, so doesn't really save me any time. Any tips? Apparently it must be adobe reader - as they use it for forms for reports.

Thanks! Hope you understand my brain dump!
    Last edited by computerguy; 15th February 2014 at 10:06 PM.

Thank Post
    Anyone? A lot of views! Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,005 Posts
    Is the station type set to "Shared Laptop" in the RMMC?

Thank Post
    I believe they were which is what I found odd about it. Perhaps setting to something else and setting to shared laptop again would help? I'll be in again tomorrow so hoping to be in with a few ideas. Thanks

Thank Post
    Does RM Synchronise run when the user logs on to the affected laptop? If not, it might be worth running this at least once even if there isn't anything in the users 'Synchronise' folder.

Quote Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
    Perhaps setting to something else and setting to shared laptop again would help?
    Definitely worth a try. Make sure you reboot so the change takes effect though.

Thank Post
    I didn't notice rm synchronise although I think some schools don't use it here as there was constant sync issues. I'll double check but pretty sure it wasn't running

Thank Post
    It's been a while since I last used a CC3 laptop, but I believe the user has to run RM Synchronise once before they can use the laptop properly at home. After this has been done, they can disable the automatic sync option by double-clicking on the Synchronise icon on the desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
    I think some schools don't use it here as there was constant sync issues.
    We had constant sync issues too (usually caused by long file and folder paths). It was really frustrating so teachers stopped using it, although I seem to remember that we had to keep RM Synchronise installed otherwise the laptops couldn't be used away from the CC3 network.

Thank Post

Laptops not working properly offline, cached profiles and adobe reader - CC3

Well this all helps I'll experiment with 1 of the laptops tomorrow. I can always put it back on short term and see how many issues they have. At least it's for a purpose. Once these kids reports are complete they don't really need them home again.

Thanks Arthur!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread