+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Impero Education Pro question - No suppliers please! in Technical; *EDIT: Possibly wrong forum!* Hi All, Can I just ask those that use this software, whether it is worth using? ...
    Thank Post

Impero Education Pro question - No suppliers please!

*EDIT: Possibly wrong forum!*

Hi All,

Can I just ask those that use this software, whether it is worth using?

We have had a message that this will be available to purchase by the School soon. We have had no issues that I know of regarding pupil useage and I keep up with day to day, update/print/patch management etc. As you do in the role of an IT tech.

However lately I have been looking into remote access, SCCM, print management, power management and a lot of the things mentioned in the 'sales' list. I am really liking the 'look' of it from an lonely do-it-all/NM/tech's role position. In fact the more I think of it, the more appealing it sounds rather than have to install all sorts of separate programs/roles and services on my servers/network to do it.

E-safety - key word detection ensures usage can be closely monitored, highlighting any violations, (such as
    inappropriate email content or web searches) to the e-safety coordinator and ICT Technician. Additional
    blocks and filters can also be put in place.
    Inventory management - keeping on top of ever-expanding software and hardware can be daunting. This
    feature will enable ICT Technicians and ICT / Computing Subject leaders to have an up-to-date inventory.
    Computer usage monitoring - the intelligent reporting function draws from a log of network activity to
    provide a comprehensive account of power usage, print history, deleted items, violation alerts, CPU and
    memory usage,
    Licence management - managing licence compliance at a network level means one licence can be shared
    between a number of computers, cutting down on the amount being spent on software and essentially
    providing more for less. Acting as your virtual licence manager, the intelligent monitoring functionality
    highlights how many licences are being used and restricts access to the software before this exceeds its
    legal limit.
    Patch management – ICT Technicians can quickly and easily keep software up-to-date and automatically
    patch all vulnerable software, to the latest version, saving valuable staff hours from the laborious manual
    download process.
    Desktop utilization - reports the utilisation patterns of specific devices by monitoring usage, ensuring value
    for money from all devices and supporting refresh plans and budgets.
    Additional key features also include:
    • Print management
    • Power management
    • Remote control and support
    • Computer lab management

Please respect that I do not wish to hear from anyone who has a biased view...

If you wish to say anything that you might not wish to make public feel free to PM me!

Kol.

2. Thanks to Koldov from:

russdev (17th February 2014)

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 870 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have Impero on our network: It came in with a new network deployment during the Summer break last year.

Although we do not use all of the features available would not be without it now. We have allowed a small number of staff to have access to the console connecting to their classrooms only and the feedback from these staff is also very positive.

We did have PaperCut on our old network. With the advent of Impero I did not renew our PaperCut as Impero has a print credit feature. I feel that this was a mistake now and that I should have kept PaperCut for our new network. Aside from that I think it was a good investment.

4. 2 Thanks to DaveP:

Koldov (14th February 2014), russdev (17th February 2014)

Gaz

Thank Post
    Its a bit of a swiss army knife. I probably only use a small percentage of what it can actually do.

Features I like are, remote viewing, msi deploy (better than using GP if you only need to install something on 1 machine and you want to do it instantly) power management (start up and shut down at certain times) Password reset for trusted SLT.

6. 2 Thanks to Gaz:

Thank Post
    Could a MOD please move to the 'Network and Classroom Management' forum please?

Kol.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 772 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We're very happy with it and believe it's worth every penny. Again we don't use all features - patch and licence management for instance, but for quick & dirty MSI deployment, classroom management, first level website & keyword filtering, remote support etc it's awesome. Logging is great and has helped us deal with problems whether they're user, computer or security related. Even gets used just to find people now and then.
    Some of the teachers have really taken to it, so we've added second monitors to our ICT suites for Impero to be used exclusively for them, aiding in classroom management.

9. 2 Thanks to synaesthesia:

Thank Post
    As others have said, great tool, many features we don't use, but those we do use are excellent. We happen to have power management anyway, and won't get rid of PaperCut, and there are bits and pieces we prefer to use existing methods for, but overall if the price doesn't prevent you, I'd go for it.

11. 2 Thanks to Gibson335:

Thank Post
    We've had it for about a month now - classroom management & internet abuse has been massively improved and it's given us as technical staff a bunch of new tools to save on the leg work.

Quite expensive but its better than anything else I've seen.

13. 2 Thanks to CamelMan:

Gaz

Thank Post
    Something I forgot to mention. It may not play nice with some AV software as it hooks into lots of different files, the program is also encrypted using a program (Themida) that virus writers use to mask their virus' so our AV (ESET) freaked out until we added in the exceptions. Unfortunately Impero won't give ESET the files to whitelist.

15. Thanks to Gaz from:

Koldov (14th February 2014)

Thank Post
    It is invaluable for controlled assessments, supporting end users from my chair ~(V IMPORTANT!)~ and resolving any issues where time is a factor.
    Simple tasks of finding out what student X was doing in lesson 3 weeks ago, If student Y saved any coursework 4 months ago that she now says is lost or which user just printed out 20 copies of the heads face on a donkeys butt can be completed with ease.

You might not need it .. but it ticks the boxes of what schools are required to do.

17. 2 Thanks to Galway:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Something I forgot to mention. It may not play nice with some AV software as it hooks into lots of different files, the program is also encrypted using a program (Themida) that virus writers use to mask their virus' so our AV (ESET) freaked out until we added in the exceptions. Unfortunately Impero won't give ESET the files to whitelist.
    Well, we gave ESET NOD32 the boot when we signed up for EES and swapped to the MSCEP, so if anyone knows if they play nicely together please shout!

Liking what I hear so far, seems like it has a lot of features I was scratching around trying to get sorted out here.

Kol.

19. Thanks to Koldov from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We use MSSCEP here with Impero and it all works nicely. Likewise, one of my primary schools is using it with Sophos without a hitch.

21. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post

I feel that this was a mistake now and that I should have kept PaperCut for our new network. Aside from that I think it was a good investment.
    I didn't think you had to renew papercut as it was a one-off cost? You only renew the support and for upgrades. if you purchased it already then its yours to put on your new network.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely - we still use papercut, not paid for upgrades though so still on 11. but it's worth it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Moving to Network and Classroom Management forum.

25. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

Koldov (14th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Yup, we also use papercut as its a far more refined solution. Don't have the support contract but its so stable and reliable its frankly not required.

When we moved to being an Academy I lost out account information and just emailed them our school purchase order from 4 years ago and they ensured I had the latest licenced sofware and game me all the bumf to licence it before the handset had gone cold.

Papercut and Impero - Both legends in my eyes.

27. Thanks to Galway from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast