+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 67
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Impero Education Pro question - No suppliers please! in Technical; Anyone here using Impero and making good use of the power management functionality? I am just wondering what lengths people ...
  1. #31

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,160
    Thank Post
    403
    Thanked 623 Times in 569 Posts
    Rep Power
    181
    Anyone here using Impero and making good use of the power management functionality? I am just wondering what lengths people go to with this.

  2. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

    russdev (19th May 2014)

  3. #32
    WithoutMotive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wigan, UK
    Posts
    628
    Thank Post
    41
    Thanked 47 Times in 41 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    As @Gaz said, we've had it for years now but still don't use all the features. It's great value for money with a brilliant support team.

  4. Thanks to WithoutMotive from:

    russdev (19th May 2014)

  5. #33

    DaveP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Posts
    8,981
    Thank Post
    352
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    1131
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Anyone here using Impero and making good use of the power management functionality? I am just wondering what lengths people go to with this.
    Student stations [Those stations used predominantly, but not exclusively, by students]

    Prevent duplicate logons
    Force logoff after one hour of no keyboard/mouse activity
    Shutdown after two hours of no keyboard/mouse activity

    All stations:

    Shutdown at 6:30 pm [Two stations excepted at the request of The Head]
    Last edited by DaveP; 18th May 2014 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Add missing comma.

  6. Thanks to DaveP from:

    russdev (19th May 2014)

  7. #34
    ellsandell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    65
    Thank Post
    13
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Student stations [Those stations used predominantly, but not exclusively by students]

    Prevent duplicate logons
    Force logoff after one hour of no keyboard/mouse activity
    Shutdown after two hours of no keyboard/mouse activity

    All stations:

    Shutdown at 6:30 pm [Two stations excepted at the request of The Head]

    What kinda cost savings did you have before/after? (Electricity)

  8. Thanks to ellsandell from:

    russdev (19th May 2014)

  9. #35

    DaveP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Posts
    8,981
    Thank Post
    352
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    1131
    Quote Originally Posted by ellsandell View Post
    What kinda cost savings did you have before/after? (Electricity)
    Couldn't say as I haven't looked into it but I suspect that the savings will be significant as the IT rooms are/were always VERY warm.

    Impero has a power savings reporting function. I might look into it tomorrow if it isn't too busy in the office.

  10. Thanks to DaveP from:

    russdev (19th May 2014)

  11. #36

    synaesthesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    6,043
    Thank Post
    590
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    467
    We also use the duplicate logon stopper, similarly we've yet to get numbers from our site super but older machines are turned on and off automatically. We don't bother with anything new as they're SSD based, they are turned on when needed. All are shut down at particular times though. Some people hate it when they're working, 4pm hits and the machine tries to shut down, especially if they're off collecting a printout to come back and see their machine off before they can hit cancel! (ditto they also dislike the fact it keeps trying to log them off after pressing cancel)

  12. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

    russdev (19th May 2014)

  13. #37
    ellsandell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    65
    Thank Post
    13
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Couldn't say as I haven't looked into it but I suspect that the savings will be significant as the IT rooms are/were always VERY warm.

    Impero has a power savings reporting function. I might look into it tomorrow if it isn't too busy in the office.
    If you could?

    Just were planning on approaching our SMT about it and having some hard numbers from other schools is very helpful.

  14. Thanks to ellsandell from:

    russdev (19th May 2014)

  15. #38
    alan-d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sutton Coldfield
    Posts
    2,414
    Thank Post
    360
    Thanked 256 Times in 187 Posts
    Rep Power
    75
    I intend to have a demo of Impero when I get time but maybe one of you can answer this;

    We use a lot of laptops throughout the school and have tried to run NetSupport on them. We found that it killed the wireless bandwidth and slowed things down too much. How does Impero compare when using laptops over wireless?

    Admittedly we have upgraded our Wireless network since we last tested netsupport on laptops but it's not likely to improve this situation.

  16. Thanks to alan-d from:

    russdev (19th May 2014)

  17. #39

    DaveP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Posts
    8,981
    Thank Post
    352
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    1131
    Quote Originally Posted by ellsandell View Post
    If you could?

    Just were planning on approaching our SMT about it and having some hard numbers from other schools is very helpful.
    This is just a quick run through of the power saving report for the entire network using Impero's default settings except for:

    Report coverage: 1 month backwards from today
    Potential savings: Idle time slider changed to one hour:


  18. 3 Thanks to DaveP:

    Cache (19th May 2014), ellsandell (19th May 2014), russdev (19th May 2014)

  19. #40

    russdev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    6,930
    Thank Post
    709
    Thanked 552 Times in 367 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by alan-d View Post
    I intend to have a demo of Impero when I get time but maybe one of you can answer this;

    We use a lot of laptops throughout the school and have tried to run NetSupport on them. We found that it killed the wireless bandwidth and slowed things down too much. How does Impero compare when using laptops over wireless?

    Admittedly we have upgraded our Wireless network since we last tested netsupport on laptops but it's not likely to improve this situation.
    To be honest shouldn't have any issue with wireless the most bandwidth intensive element we do is remote control and shouldn't have any major issue on the wireless networks.

    Russell

  20. #41
    alan-d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sutton Coldfield
    Posts
    2,414
    Thank Post
    360
    Thanked 256 Times in 187 Posts
    Rep Power
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    To be honest shouldn't have any issue with wireless the most bandwidth intensive element we do is remote control and shouldn't have any major issue on the wireless networks.

    Russell
    That's what NetSupport said when we purchased that some years ago . It was a different story when we tried to run 32 laptops in one classroom with NetSupport on.

  21. #42

    russdev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    6,930
    Thank Post
    709
    Thanked 552 Times in 367 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by alan-d View Post
    That's what NetSupport said when we purchased that some years ago . It was a different story when we tried to run 32 laptops in one classroom with NetSupport on.
    I can't comment on what netsupport claim about their software. However if worried about Impero Is suggest you can get a fully functional trial and try it..

    Russell

  22. Thanks to russdev from:

    alan-d (19th May 2014)

  23. #43
    Cache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    1,224
    Thank Post
    455
    Thanked 177 Times in 174 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    This is just a quick run through of the power saving report for the entire network using Impero's default settings except for:

    Report coverage: 1 month backwards from today
    Potential savings: Idle time slider changed to one hour:

    That's a nice interesting picture.....

    Can I ask, taking your previous comment before and the picture above - do you disable standby on your machines? If you do is it for any particular reason? (I'm just being nosey)

  24. #44

    DaveP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Posts
    8,981
    Thank Post
    352
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    1131
    Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    That's a nice interesting picture.....

    Can I ask, taking your previous comment before and the picture above - do you disable standby on your machines? If you do is it for any particular reason? (I'm just being nosey)
    Not nosey at all!

    We haven't disabled standby. However I do think that it might be of benefit as I am hoping to avoid ungraceful power downs/restarts as far as possible. It seems that our students [despite being instructed to the contrary many times] will reach for the power supply socket switch upon seeing a dark screen rather than try the mouse/keyboard first.

    Also their impatience means that if the station is in the process of waking up they will often reset the station. Why? I really don't know! I just wish they would not.

  25. Thanks to DaveP from:

    Cache (19th May 2014)

  26. #45
    Boredguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Swindon
    Posts
    596
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 133 Times in 124 Posts
    Rep Power
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by alan-d View Post
    I intend to have a demo of Impero when I get time but maybe one of you can answer this;

    We use a lot of laptops throughout the school and have tried to run NetSupport on them. We found that it killed the wireless bandwidth and slowed things down too much. How does Impero compare when using laptops over wireless?

    Admittedly we have upgraded our Wireless network since we last tested netsupport on laptops but it's not likely to improve this situation.
    We use Impero on all our windows devices, and not noticed any issues over Wifi for the laptops and most of them are on 54mb single channel AP's!
    Even seems fine when the staff take their laptop home and connect in via the VPN. Couple of times in the holidays I've almost shut down someone's laptop by accident as I was not expecting them to be connected at that that point.

  27. Thanks to Boredguy from:

    alan-d (20th May 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Another Sky Drive Pro Question/Issue
    By funkyfin2000 in forum Cloud Services
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 7th November 2013, 12:28 PM
  2. Recommended Educational Wordpress Primary Website Suppliers
    By SimpleSi in forum Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10th October 2013, 03:07 PM
  3. Motherboard Supplier please
    By witch in forum Hardware
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th September 2013, 03:17 PM
  4. Toshiba Satellite Pro A120 - No Sound
    By firefox_2006 in forum Hardware
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 8th December 2010, 02:54 PM
  5. Mac Pro Questions
    By mac_shinobi in forum Mac
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 29th June 2008, 12:04 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •