+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Impero Education Pro question - No suppliers please! in Technical; Impero has been excellent for us so far, saved a lot of time and the teachers that wanted it all ...
    Thank Post
    Impero has been excellent for us so far, saved a lot of time and the teachers that wanted it all still use it - which is a pretty good indication of its usefulness. As said earlier I wouldn't use it for Print management as that side of things is fairly basic. As far as E-safety you have to tweak it until you get the results you actually want to be looking at instead of a wall of alerts, but the Impero support in sorting that out has been brilliant (and fast). One word of caution - our Impero doesn't play nicely with Server2003, some kind of database issue that causes the server software to crash when you go too far into a user history.

2. Thanks to Love_Sausage from:

russdev (17th February 2014)

Thank Post
    I'd echo most of the replies here. I'd used two or three products for remote control & classroom / network management before getting Impero. Don't use all of it, but often when I think 'I wonder if I can do xyz on my network', Impero seem to have got there before me. Can't fault their support either.

4. Thanks to howartp from:

russdev (17th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Something I forgot to mention. It may not play nice with some AV software as it hooks into lots of different files, the program is also encrypted using a program (Themida) that virus writers use to mask their virus' so our AV (ESET) freaked out until we added in the exceptions. Unfortunately Impero won't give ESET the files to whitelist.
    Hope OP doesn't mind me posting.

Wanted to clarify. We would love to give ESET a copy and tried but sadly they are only one (and I mean only one) AV provider who insists that we give them a un-themida version (lets be honest no company is going to give their source code away) all others we submit a Themida version and goes through and gets white listed. Obviously once added exceptions in ESET it all plays nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Love_Sausage View Post
    Impero has been excellent for us so far, saved a lot of time and the teachers that wanted it all still use it - which is a pretty good indication of its usefulness. As said earlier I wouldn't use it for Print management as that side of things is fairly basic. As far as E-safety you have to tweak it until you get the results you actually want to be looking at instead of a wall of alerts, but the Impero support in sorting that out has been brilliant (and fast). One word of caution - our Impero doesn't play nicely with Server2003, some kind of database issue that causes the server software to crash when you go too far into a user history.
    Just to again clarify the server 2003 bug (if it what I think it is) has been fixed in a 4.1X release.

Russ

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 866 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Forgot to mention in my reply: Impero has a feature on the console that deals with an issue that has been vexing many Network Managers in this thread:

Link: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/securi...ble-admin.html

[Lock the users screen when the network cable is pulled out]

Thank Post
    Hope OP doesn't mind me chipping in here with a question, but I think it is on topic. Can you manage OSX clients alongside Windows clients from the same console?

Thank Post
    How does Impero justify their maintenance and support being nearly 3 times more expensive than Netsupport? not a dig just an open question to those already paying for it. I managed to bump them down to only 2 times more expensive but that's only if I go whole network not just the IT rooms..looking at the figures I'm gonna have a hard time selling Impero.

Thank Post
    When we were using literally everything except Impero it was all Client based and was virtually useless. If the sun was out and it wasn't a full moon recently then you could probably find all the machines in the room and they would work, but really, it was such a faff that it wasn't worth it.

With Impero we set the machine to lock on no network connection and that's it, the machines have always connected to the server and the teacher console can always see the machines when they're turned on.

Have you had a trial of the software? The other thinsg you can do with it beyond basic classroom management are worth the cost - MIMIC Scripts, OSX deployments, remote support, software licensing restrictions and to some extent the reporting and inventories (which I still don't get why they're so hard to use)

10. Thanks to DrPerceptron from:

Griff (7th March 2014)

Thank Post
    How does it compare to Securus for E-safety?

Thank Post
    Got the trial in now just setting up today looks good on first glance much easier to setup than NetSupport but then we are using an old version of NetSupport so cannot really compare.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    How does it compare to Securus for E-safety?
    Out of the box, it doesn't - I think the newer versions of Securus also have the capability for detecting flesh tones etc which I imagine.

Correctly configured, it is probably a little better than Securus as you could get an instant notification in the room it occurs (assuming the teacher is using the console) and have it dealt with immediately,

Thank Post
    Used it a while back in a school with serious discipline problems. Immediately saw the benefit, although the kids became rowdy because they couldn't get away with being off task! Compared to other classroom management products its streets ahead - centralised management of the PCs, rooms and staff users makes it so much more reliable. (Used NetSupport in a previous school - ended up with a raft of policies making it communicate on a different port for each room just so the connected PCs didn't follow the teacher to the wrong suite). All the bells and whistles seem to work well, including the power management which is one argument for justifying the cost - "Look at the potential power savings!". The staff really like the instant alerts if the kids try blocked activities (no sitting staring at 30 thumbnails). If you need classroom management software, and want some simple network management tools then all you have to do is justify the cost, which is also streets ahead of rivals!

15. Thanks to alexsanger from:

Griff (7th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Good feedback cheers people sorry to hijack an old thread but hey seemed relevant..3 days into trial and we are really enjoying it compared to NetSupport this thing is a breeze to setup and manage I am sat here in a state of paranoia because normally something has broken by now...mmm

17. Thanks to Griff from:

russdev (14th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the comments. Disagree with comments about Securus out the box (but I would say that ) certainly based on new version released at BETT.

Thank Post
    Is there a way to sign up for notifications of Impero updates? We had a problem fixed recently by an update we had no idea was out.

Thank Post

Impero Education Pro question - No suppliers please!

NetSupport School has come along way since the version you used Griff, I would recommend that you give it another look. there are many options to support connection to different types of class and there is also a dedicated technicians console providing policies, inventory, and many other support tools. The optional (but recommended) annual maintenance is also not as expensive as some other solutions.

If you are interested PM me.

Matt Jones, NetSupport Ltd.
    matt.jones@netsupportsoftware.com

Sent from my iPad using EduGeek

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast