+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, AB Tutor easy to defeat ... just uninstall in Technical; Thanks everyone for replying. I have taken some reasonable steps to protect the ABT client: 1. By making the /program ...

Thank Post

Re: AB Tutor easy to defeat ... just uninstall

Thanks everyone for replying.

I have taken some reasonable steps to protect the ABT client:

1. By making the /program files/abcontrol folder invisible
    2. Using the registry function of the ABT control
    (a) prevented access to the control panel
    (b) disabled cmd.exe, run
    (c) prevented access to the task manager
    (d) made invisible msconfig, gpedit
    (e) disabled .bat files
    (f) disabled any access to network properties

There are still ways around these things though.

I have in my IT class a student who is rated one of the top 20 junior programmers in the world
    He was at the recent programming olympics! Luckily for me he is an ally rather than foe and lets me in on ways the other students are trying to get around the system.

OK all of this not ideal but I can only do what I can and hope the next NW manager is better.

I still think though the client and install files should be password protected.

Thank Post

do you think it is acceptable to allow the security of a school network to be run by one of the students. Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea??????????

Thank Post

mrphil,

My main point for starting the thread was to point out that in SOME situations it would be an advantage to have the client password protected. I still think ABT should seriously consider this.

Not all of us live in an ideal world. As you can see from my solution I am writing my own group policies 'round the backdoor'. If the NW manager was doing his job, the guest account would obviously have all the necessary restrictions.

I don't need reminding that the students have too many privileges. I am being squeezed from both ends - the lack of security from the network, teachers in the middle complaining about students not being on task, and students at the other end just wanting to play games and muck around.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Blog Entries

@mrphil

There are lots of bad ideas that go around schools that members have no control over for many reasons. All we can do is help where we can.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I do think tho' that it's a bit rich of maxy to be critical of ABTutor. What's to stop the kids completely wiping the PCs and installing their own O/S's?

What you're doing is slowly setting up a secure system the hard way using a tool whose prime purpose is not for this, and then criticising it.

What you really need is an Active Directory server and group policy restrictions on your users. Or if you're setting up standalone kiosk PCs use Steady State - for free.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@Mark

That is what he is doing a little of, but being prevented by the fact that the NM (presumably his boss) couldn't give a rat's ear about it all.

Part of me is tempted to let the OP know a variety of ways that things can be made to fall over on a more regular basis so that the whole problem needs to be addressed ... but I am not that sort of bloke.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Oh I get it - you're a Teacher.

Most times the situation is reversed - it's the teachers who want unrestricted access and the techs who pull their hair out trying to maintain a secure & reliable system despite it. We do, however, have one member on here at least who has argued the case _for_ open access much as you describe. He was running Novell too.

I agree with you that it's impossible to control kids fully, and safety measures have to be in place. My ex Head disagrees, and puts any blame onto the teachers for lack of control.

All I know is that with ABTutor installed, teachers re-gained control of lessons using IT.

I'm sure the logon local issue is actually to do with the client and not the server, but I stand to be corrected.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I get the impression is that he is a techie, working under an NM who can't be bothered ... and $deity knows that we have had members in this position before.

Thank Post

The OP's second message states they are the ICT Co-ordinator.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Oh $deity ... in that case the only thing to do is to apply serious boot leather to the backside of the NM to get him to change his ways. I have to admit that it is amusing to have an ICT Co-ordinator complaining about the system not being locked down enough rahter than the other way around.

@maxymaxy
    Point your NM in our direction and I am sure that various members with experience of a Novell/AD solution will be able to help. Failing that ... here is a clue-bat (a long bit of 2X4) to encourage all to have another look at security.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 842 Posts
    Blog Entries

I agree with a lot of the points but if I were you I would block vbs files as well as bat files. They are much more powerful.

Thank Post

Hi all,

Yes, I am a class room teacher TRYING to teach four senior IT subjects with at least one student who is way better than me. I get a small time allowance to help other teachers put teaching material onto our intranet. My title makes it sound like I have more say in how the network runs than I actually do.

Our NW manager is not the easiest person to converse with but the light at the end of the tunnel is he is leaving at the end of the year.

Yes I am asking a lot of the ABT client but it is able to deliver with the powerful registry editing function. I will stand my ground though and still think the client should be password protected to uninstall it and it should protect it's own install directory.

Thank Post

Fancy that, I've just replied to your post on AB Forums and find you here hah.

I haven't read the thread but am going to guess people have already said what I said before. The problem's not AB's fault, it's the entire network setup you have.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 2,021 Posts
    Blog Entries

maxymaxy, have you thought about going to your head and discussing this issue? ie. going above the NM's head?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    maxymaxy, have you thought about going to your head and discussing this issue? ie. going above the NM's head?
    The world has gone mad I tell ya!

A teacher complaining that the network SHOULDN'T be wide open to attack! - maxy - can you head over to the TES forums and argue for us??

Is the NM an x teacher by any chance? Our other member with Novell + open access + deep freeze thought it highly educationally valuable and indeed challenged his brighter students to break into the servers.

16. Thanks to mark from:

gwendes (14th October 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast