+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Talk to me about classroom management software... in Technical; We've basically been given the OK to redo our entire network, which includes sacking-off RM Tutor. I'm not going to ...

Thank Post

Talk to me about classroom management software...

We've basically been given the OK to redo our entire network, which includes sacking-off RM Tutor. I'm not going to leave the teaching staff with no way to control the computers of unruly students.

I've heard of Impero, but thats about it... What are my options?

2. Thanks to Oaktech from:

russdev (15th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Netsupport, ABTutor, Impero, iTalc

We have experience of Impero and iTalc. The latter is free and boy do you know it. We went for Impero as it does classroom management and a hell of a lot more and worth it's weight in gold as a result, but obviously not everything is a one size fits all. Can't remember which of NetSupport or AB RM Tutor is based on. If you need to know anything about Impero feel free to poke me.
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 9th January 2014 at 09:50 AM.

4. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

Thank Post
    Cheers,

We've had a demo of Impero and it seems really good, but I can't just turn round to management and go: "Here, buy this..." I have to give them options, with pros and cons for each! I'll get investigating. I'm getting a list together of people to visit at BETT!

6. Thanks to Oaktech from:

Thank Post
    Another one for impero really good and easy for teachers to use.

One bit of advise it's all in the intial set up :-)

8. Thanks to pickman from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We looked at NetSupport, ABTutor and LanSchool two or three years ago as a project, installed demos in three different rooms, got opinions from teachers etc.

NetSupport cost too much & did too much, in that it replicated a lot of functionality we already had in place for monitoring, software deployment, and it had a recurring cost year on year. It'd be the right fit for some, but not for us.

ABTutor wasn't overly easy to use and none of the teaching staff got on with it. May have improved now, but we didn't like it back then. We ended the demo run of this one early, in fact.

LanSchool ended up being our preferred option, as it did just what we needed it to do and did it well, easy to install and most importantly easy to use. Pricing was excellent and a one-off fee, with no recurring charge, though I know they've changed their pricing recently so I don't know if that holds true. Still, if all you want to do is manage classrooms, this does it very well and is used by a lot of staff here which is as good a recommendation as I can make, if staff make the effort.

As a point of interest, we were technically replacing RM Tutor as well - just two or three years after we'd already replaced CC3... point is, staff were used to the capabilities of RM Tutor and were more than happy with LanSchool as a replacement. Well worth looking at IMO.
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 9th January 2014 at 10:07 AM.

Thank Post
    AB Tutor was the last one we used (2012) and that version was fine. Had some nice features for the more tech savvy teachers too.

Thank Post
    Impero gets a big thumbs up here. It's really good.

12. Thanks to Mark182 from:

Thank Post
    Impero is a great tool for your teaching staff and for the IT team.

It has features such as live viewing of screens where your IT staff can assist users if they have issues or take immediate control of their screen in order to solve an issue.
    We have noticed that this has helped to increase response times within the IT Support department which obviously keeps everyone happy (work mentioning that to the budget holders !!)

You can set up permissions for users or certain computers. So for example if you have IT rooms which are bookable or used by different staff you can make the teachers PC in the room able to view the screens just for that room so that they can tailor the PC's to their needs for example limit the class down to certain software or websites or generate quiz's and to do lists to encourage student engagement and check progress

We have had a contract with Impero since 2011 (we bought this to replace RM Tutor) and they are a great company who always want to improve their software, for example when we updated to the previous version of impero we found a few bugs and reported these and then in the V4.0.22 release we found they had all been addressed.

Could talk for a long time about this product as it really has benefited our academy for both Staff and Students

14. Thanks to JamesBanks7 from:

Thank Post
    How long have you had 4.0.22 out of interest?

Ignoring the issue we have with 4.0.13 (authentication) Impero has been brilliant, I think we're 3 years into a 5 year contract, the software actually works relatively faultlessly in comparison to others, the server/client nature of the software means that you don't have to discover clients each time you load up (NetSupport) and clients are infinitely less likely to just 'vanish' off the network.

Not to mention the sheer bulk of additional functions it has - MIMIC scripts are incredibly useful with the notoriously rubbish educational software that doesn't have MSIs and hates any sort of creativity.
    Last edited by DrPerceptron; 9th January 2014 at 01:03 PM.

16. Thanks to DrPerceptron from:

Thank Post
    4.0.22 was released at the back end of November 2013 and we got it a few days after

Thank Post
    ab tutor still the best one we've used it since 2006 latest version works well with Win7

Thank Post
    This is of interest to me, as I am looking at iTalc at the moment (we used to be impero based a couple of years back, but then went with Dameware then for carrying out our remote support on a one to one basis which is fine for that purpose), but we would like to have the ability back to look at and remote logon a classroom again if possible and iTalc is a bit of a headache to setup so far, in that it lacks ctrl+alt+del function as far as I can see as well as being a bit laborous setting up the computers on it with no auto discovery.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Plus 1 for ABtutor here. Even came to a good costing for site licence. Well worth talking about your situation with them.

Thank Post
    Another vote for impero here. Definately a real bonus to our place. Not just from the classroom management or the IT admin side but the esafety side too.

22. Thanks to timbo343 from:

Thank Post
    Does anyone have any stats for how this software is used ?

Do Teachers GET it ? or is it just something else that they ignore and don't use ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast