+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Connecting non RM laptops to a CC3 network in Technical; Hi guys i've not done this before but have been asked the question of how/and issues. someone has bought some ...

Thank Post

Connecting non RM laptops to a CC3 network

Hi guys

i've not done this before but have been asked the question of how/and issues. someone has bought some cheaper non RM laptops. what do i need to know?

thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Connecting non RM laptops to a CC3 network

Are you planning on building them on to make them regular CC3 clients, or just physically connect to the network?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Are you planning on building them on to make them regular CC3 clients, or just physically connect to the network?
    either, whatever is easiest but mainly just so they can access domain resources.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

As long as drivers are available on the server build area when you build them on (especially DOS drivers for the network card - build disk with proper drives is required) you should be OK. You can add driver files to the build area and build disks by using the RM Workstation Build Manager (under System Management folder on start menu).

Or you could SmartClient them on to the network if they already have a working install of Windows (instructions here).

5. Thanks to webman from:

bossman (20th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Hi there I am trying to do a similiar thing. I have an Acer 6930G which will not install on to the network although I appear to have the correct drivers on the RM Rebuild Disk (dos, ini and inf files which I downloaded from the manufacturers website). Is it still possible without loading it on to the CC3 network to access the shared drives??
    Thanks
    Ricky

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, this is possible - the shared "drives" are just standard Windows shares on a server. So just browse to the UNC path of the shared area and provide credentials when prompted. E.g.

Start > Run: \\rmc-svr-001\rmshared documents or \\rmc-svr-001\rmstaff (substituting in your own server names.)

You might need to supply the username in the format of DOMAIN\username.

But remember that Windows will probably try and remember the logon details, so this is no good if the laptop is shared amongst users.

8. Thanks to webman from:

bossman (20th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rickypike View Post
    Hi there I am trying to do a similiar thing. I have an Acer 6930G which will not install on to the network although I appear to have the correct drivers on the RM Rebuild Disk (dos, ini and inf files which I downloaded from the manufacturers website). Is it still possible without loading it on to the CC3 network to access the shared drives??
    Thanks
    Ricky
    What is the error and at what point is it falling over?

Also what is the Network Card on the laptop?

Another thing to note with new laptops, is that the majority have SATA hard drives, and the version of Windows XP on CC3 servers only has a handful of SATA controllers integrated into it. There is normally an option in the BIOS of most laptops to change the mode to IDE to get around this.

As a last resort you could Smartclient the laptop onto the network which should always work. This means installing a clean Windows XP withh drivers, but no other apps and then connecting to the CC3 server and entering some details where it will then join the CC3 system and start downloading packages. Document TEC406091 on the RM Support website tells you in full detail how to do this. The main problem with this method is there is no RM Restore partition, which means you need to do the full Smartclient process again (Install XP manually, then smartclient) if you need to rebuild the laptop.

Thank Post
    Hi thanks for the reply.

It seems to recognise the card which is an Atheros 8121/8113/8114 PCI-E ethernet but I then get the following error NET109: TCP 1.0 not loaded. Cannot connect to the DHCP Sever, please check cabling and reboot.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rickypike View Post
    Hi thanks for the reply.

It seems to recognise the card which is an Atheros 8121/8113/8114 PCI-E ethernet but I then get the following error NET109: TCP 1.0 not loaded. Cannot connect to the DHCP Sever, please check cabling and reboot.
    To me that suggests like the laptop isn't getting an IP address from your DHCP server. I'd check the network cable/socket.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    To me that suggests like the laptop isn't getting an IP address from your DHCP server. I'd check the network cable/socket.
    Actually it normally means it does not like the DOS network card driver or a network cable is unplugged, although it is quite a generic message and can mean other things. Unless all other machines are also displaying this error it is unlikely to be a DHCP problem, and more likely it does not like the DOS network card driver.

I would try adding DOS drivers to the station build manager from this download:
    Atheros Communications

Create a custom build disk with just that one driver and no other Network Card Drivers.

and if that does not work try this:
    Atheros Communications

I have noticed sometimes older versions of a DOS Network Card driver will work, while newer versions for the same card will not work - possibly due to different revisions of the network cards.

Thank Post
    You might also find this useful for other Windows XP drivers:

Acer Aspire 6930 - 6930G Windows XP and Vista Drivers

Thank Post
    Thanks for the info
    I have already downloaded the above drivers from the atheros site, these are the one's I have created the build disk with but they just don't seem to work. I've had problems before building non RM machines but this one is proving to be the biggest! Are there any other drivers I can try for this Atheros card, I have also e-mailed Acer regarding this to see if they can help (awaiting a reply). I will try creating a build disk with just the one dos driver on and see what happens, but think I have already done this. Can I edit any of the files that are required on the build disk eg. the inf or ini file?
    Thanks Ricky

Thank Post
    Have tried it with just that one dos driver on the build disk but still just get the same error. Driving me mad, never had this problem with any other network card apart from this Atheros one! Any other ideas please!
    Cheers
    Ricky

Thank Post
    Have you tried putting the sata drive in compatability mode in the bios of the laptop? Never really done laptops myself until now but apparently this can cause issues.

Thank Post
    I had a experience when I got non RM server had same problem to build without dos drive, unfortunately RM is not writing 3rt party dos drive anymore, please make sure with RM, this is, I heard. What I did, extra I just installed one of the available network card to server already it has dos drive here. Still our server’s optical network card is not useful.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast