+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Connecting non RM laptops to a CC3 network in Technical; I have a couple of laptops which I cant get to build directly on CC3 so I have an external ...

Thank Post
    I have a couple of laptops which I cant get to build directly on CC3 so I have an external HDD to which I image the laptops using PING as a plain XP laptop and then smartclient them.

If the laptops need rebuilding, I reload the image and then smartclient again.

Not ideal but works for me.

Thank Post
    Hi All,

we have just purchased a whole bunch of Acer Netbooks and Notebooks which both have the Atheros LAN driver onboard. After a fair while of reading other peoples experiences regarding which NDIS drivers will work for an RM rebuild I managed to find a version that would work (Partially), basically what is happening is that the install begins and fully installs windows but upon atempting to complete the rest of the RM build ie Join the domain and install packages it then fails. Upon manual investigation it was apparent that it was not picking up the windows based LAN driver which it requires to complete the build. Currently I am still investigating this and so far it has been a real time consuming practice. Has anyone else out there had any experience with getting to this stage, or have any ideas for a solution. If i install the same driver which is installed on the server from a memory stick once the RM build fails it will install fine so I cannot see that it is necasarily a driver issue.

To be honest I will be glad to see the day when we move away from legacy USB/Floppy builds and implement PXE installs with such methods as WDS or SCCM.

Any insights would be great. Thanks all :-)

Thank Post
    Hi GAMe

I have managed to get our laptops on CC3 without too much hassle, surprisingly...I take it you are trying to build to a CC3 network? Have you tried adding the LAN driver into the rm build area and then rebuild the usb/floppy disk with those drivers in there? (or have you done this and the falling over as you said above)?

Can you let me know the model numbers you have and I'll have a look see if i can find anything for you.

Thank Post

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by graywoodford View Post
    Hi GAMe

I have managed to get our laptops on CC3 without too much hassle, surprisingly...I take it you are trying to build to a CC3 network? Have you tried adding the LAN driver into the rm build area and then rebuild the usb/floppy disk with those drivers in there? (or have you done this and the falling over as you said above)?

Can you let me know the model numbers you have and I'll have a look see if i can find anything for you.
    Hi Graywwoodford,

thanks for your speedy responce. Yes we are trying to build to a CC3 network and I have tried multiple versions of DOS and Windows drivers. I dont have any problem getting it to build from the floppy/USB and start installing windows but just after it completes the windows installer and goes for its first logon I am left with a command prompt window telling me error 1231 has occured. This is due to the fact that the windows drivers for this LAN card are not being copied accross during the initial DOS build part. I have tried a whole number of versions of win drivers for this card all of which install fine If I do them manually on the station after it fails but for some reason are not being detected at the DOS phase. The model of card is a Atheros AR8132 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller.

Any help would be good

Thanks in advance

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GAMe View Post
    Hi Graywwoodford,

thanks for your speedy responce. Yes we are trying to build to a CC3 network and I have tried multiple versions of DOS and Windows drivers. I dont have any problem getting it to build from the floppy/USB and start installing windows but just after it completes the windows installer and goes for its first logon I am left with a command prompt window telling me error 1231 has occured. This is due to the fact that the windows drivers for this LAN card are not being copied accross during the initial DOS build part. I have tried a whole number of versions of win drivers for this card all of which install fine If I do them manually on the station after it fails but for some reason are not being detected at the DOS phase. The model of card is a Atheros AR8132 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller.

Any help would be good

Thanks in advance
    Sounds like you have managed to add the DOS drivers to the build disk but you need to add the windows drivers to the build area.

chilbs
    Last edited by chilbs; 11th June 2010 at 09:38 AM.

Thank Post
    Here is a link to the latest drivers 1.0.0.41 not sure if you have used these.
    Atheros AR8131/AR8132 - WikiDrivers - Wiki-style resource and guide for device drivers

Have you checked when it is building from the usb stick/floppy at first that it has picked up the correct driver? have you removed all other drivers from the build disk?
    You can manually add in drivers to the build area so if it is not in a hardware support pack it will pick these drivers on build so should correct the issue you are having, have you tried adding them in to the build area? There is a document on th RM site that helps with this TEC140677 have a look, i had to do it for some laptops we had in.

Thank Post
    Here is a link to the latest drivers 1.0.0.41 not sure if you have used these.
    Atheros AR8131/AR8132 - WikiDrivers - Wiki-style resource and guide for device drivers

Have you checked when it is building from the usb stick/floppy at first that it has picked up the correct driver? have you removed all other drivers from the build disk?
    You can manually add in drivers to the build area so if it is not in a hardware support pack it will pick these drivers on build so should correct the issue you are having, have you tried adding them in to the build area? There is a document on th RM site that helps with this TEC140677 have a look, i had to do it for some laptops we had in.
    Hi again,

yes it is the windows drivers not the DOS ones and yes they have been added to the custom windows drivers in build manager . I have added custom drivers for a long time to the RM build area so I know what im doing when it comes to that but for some reason during the initial DOS portion of the build it does not copy down the ATHEROS windows LAN driver. I have tried the latest version and alos tried creating a custom build type with just the atheros drivers on the disk and still no luck

currently I am looking into another solution to inject it myself.

Thanks again

Thank Post
    cool...just a quick check have you set the laptop/netbook hard drive to compatibility mode in the bios? I was having loads of issues until i changed this.

Thank Post
    cool...just a quick check have you set the laptop/netbook hard drive to compatibility mode in the bios? I was having loads of issues until i changed this.
    Hi again,

yeah that isnt an issue which would effect the LAN drivers that setting basically switches the disk mode to IDE from AHCI (Which is not supported by the windows xp installer). Normally if that is not set to IDE or compatability mode the installer will blue screen out about a 3rd of the way into the installer.

but thanks again for all your help, if i find the cure I will share it to the world

Thank Post
    cool cheers dude sorry couldnt much more help

Thank Post

Thumbs up

cool cheers dude sorry couldnt much more help
    Thanks again for your input but I have now resolved the issue by creating a kind of "hack" to work with RMs Build area which will now let me add any driver (Including HD Audio drivers, which in the past were a pain also). I achieved this by modifying one of the Windows installer ini files and injecting my own drivers in... I will merely use this option as a backup meaning any drivers which will not install via RM will 100% work with my backup method. Its a little bit of a lengthy process to detail exactly what I did but if anyone is desperate to know they may contact me at Ilfracombe College

Thanks everyone

Shaun

Thank Post
    Hi GAMe looks like youve cracked it, just we had some Samsung Netbooks which had a very similar problem which turned out to be the wireless driver! We practically did the same as you and spent ages trying to see why the build failed so far in, then our techie turned was playin with the BIOS and turned off the wireless and the thing built straight upto the load up screen We just installed the drivers after! pain in the backside but got it to work

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12