+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, RM - a company in crisis? in Technical; FishCustard: I've just remembered that someone senior in support gave me his contact details to cover any situation. I emailed ...
    Thank Post
    FishCustard: I've just remembered that someone senior in support gave me his contact details to cover any situation. I emailed him, but he's on leave until next week. I emailed the person referred to in his Out of Office, but he's on leave until Thursday. In his Out of Office there's a group address, so I've emailed that...

Thank Post
    Still not heard anything about our account managers hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    I have a job open from July [possibly August... maybe September.] that needed a simple yes or no response.

I have yet to get ANYTHING back.

Le EDIT: Just checked, it was logged in September. Not as long as I thought, but still far longer than it needs to be.
    We've got a call open since May about our internet speeds!

Thank Post
    Just saw this on the RM Communities (RM partnered with Misco as hardware provider): http://www.rm.com/shop

Thank Post
    Being the only person in a large primary school I can say that having an RM network has been a godsend. Like some of you I dont have the tme to go investing in, setting up and troubleshooting loads of third party solutions or the time to go experimenting with policies and security settings. Their products are designed to work out of the box and in conjunction with all their other products. And if Im not happy with a product or think its too expensive I can always switch to someone else.

I think RM will be around for a long time yet. Most schools still do not have enough of an IT support team and many do not have enough experience to handle all the aspects of a network on their own. For example building computers onto the network and the drivers being supplied as Hardware Support Packs from RM. Something RM and Misco have promised to continue to do.

There is nothing nicer than knowing that if I cant get to the bottom of a problem, that I have someone the other end of the phone or the chat window that can help reslve the issue or at least point me in the right direction. They always get back to me within two hours and nearly always solve my issues the same day.

5. 2 Thanks to ReverentCreature:

sparkeh (12th December 2013), VeryPC_Colin_M (12th December 2013)

Thank Post
    You are certainly very lucky.

Unfortunately I have found that RM only promote their own products and will try to shoe horn one to fit your requirements rather than identify one that would be most appropriate. I don't think they understand Microsoft licensing fully or correctly and have noted that their fit for our school has resulted in us overpaying for years and on agreements that are not suitable.

I would strongly suggest that although it is working for you, a quick half hour phone call to some of the major software companies would result in your views changing dramatically.

As for their support, they are quick at getting back to you, but their solutions do not work - or your support contract doesn't quite cover it. I've found more joy using this forum and google than RM support.

However, each to their own I suspect :-)

7. Thanks to Springbok from:

VeryPC_Colin_M (12th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_ View Post
    Just saw this on the RM Communities (RM partnered with Misco as hardware provider): http://www.rm.com/shop
    Interesting article actually - I have never heard of Misco and wonder how they would compare with the likes of Stone or Dell?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
    I would strongly suggest that although it is working for you, a quick half hour phone call to some of the major software companies would result in your views changing dramatically.
    The only example I can think of of late was when we couldnt use the Endpoint Protection feature that comes with their Symantec RM Virus Protect 5 because it causes problems with other RM components. They leave the service disabled. So we went out and purchased a solution called DeviceLock from a company in the USA.

Other than that I have found their solutions do normally work. They have happy for me to alter settings on the network. Batch files, scripts, registry fragments, GPO's. It doesnt have to be kept the way that they set it up. And if I have made changes and something goes wrong, for me they have always continued to offer help or at least advice.

or your support contract doesn't quite cover it.
    Im suprised! They have never said that my support contract wont cover something. Unless its not their product in the first place.

I do shop around for cheaper hardware. Misco we have already used as a supplier for years. I have had the same helpful account manager for the past eight years.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Interesting article actually - I have never heard of Misco and wonder how they would compare with the likes of Stone or Dell?
    Misco shift boxes, Stone rebadge hardware as their own and Dell manufacturer their own kit.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Misco/Systemax have been around for a *very* long time. I was perusing their adverts in Computer Shopper in the early 90's. Chances are if you've been quote hunting or using Google Shopping you've probably seen some of their results. In this part of the country at least they have been one of the main educational hardware suppliers for many people and have quite a good reputation. But as above, all they do is shift boxes. Their educational staff have typically been quite good.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've been getting kit for schools almost exclusively for close on 10 years now. The key I found with them is getting a good account manager - mine is Michael Hinchliffe and he's ace. Very knowledgeable and sorts out good deals and most times delivery is the next day.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Misco shift boxes, Stone rebadge hardware as their own and Dell manufacturer their own kit.

Ben
    Stone build their own computers...?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Specifically they buy in OEM hardware and put it together. I do that as well but I've yet to scribble my name on the front of a computer Typically intel/gigabyte kit and the chassis are available to purchase OEM.

15. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

VeryPC_Colin_M (12th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Specifically they buy in OEM hardware and put it together. I do that as well but I've yet to scribble my name on the front of a computer Typically intel/gigabyte kit and the chassis are available to purchase OEM.
    And the problem with that is what, exactly? A computer is a computer, is it not? 4GB RAM is 4GB RAM? Does it matter if they make the 4GB RAM or buy it from somebody who has experience of making RAM?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I haven't said anything about a problem, we're happy with the kit we have from Stone. Solid machines with good warranty. Was just a clarification.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    I haven't said anything about a problem, we're happy with the kit we have from Stone. Solid machines with good warranty.
    Apologies. I thought you was being funny about them scribbling their name on things.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast