+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Ranger 8 and Windows 7 Start/Desktop redirection failure.. in Technical; I've been battling with this for the best part of 2 weeks trying to get the start menu and desktops ...

Thank Post

Question Ranger 8 and Windows 7 Start/Desktop redirection failure..

I've been battling with this for the best part of 2 weeks trying to get the start menu and desktops to redirect correctly on my test network, it simply doesn't work on my Windows 7 clients.

*However* I think I may have spotted the problem, I am waiting to hear back on how to properly fix it, but if you're having this problem, take a look on one of the Windows 7 clients in the Program Files\Ranger folder, there's a file called RangerUserServices.exe which handles the redirection during login, the file is 236kB, and is present and correct on all our XP machines, however on my Windows 7 test machines, the file, although it exists, is completely empty, 0 bytes.

I have confirmed this behaviour on three separate testing machines running Win7 Pro and Enterprise. Every other file copies correctly from the ranger share, however that one reliably sticks at 0kB after a clean ranger install, even running the Ranger setup user, and telling it to check the installation fails to identify the issue, and telling it to install again over the top makes no difference either.

If I manually copy in the file from my server share, everything starts working correctly, redirections actually occur! It's very strange, and no idea why that one file would fail to copy, but that seems to be whats 'breaking' things for my windows 7 testing machines.

It would be interesting to see if anyone else who is may be having issues redirecting desktop/start menu in Windows 7 can see the same behavior?

Thank Post
    Apologies for double post, but the problem has been solved by support.

It seems one of the clupdate folders at the server side had a corrupt (empty) version of the RangerUserServices.exe file. Once that file was replaced with a good copy, windows 7 clients, after a fresh install of the Ranger client, started redirecting as they should.

According to support they saw this issue one time during the ranger 7.4 release, but the issue was fixed as of Ranger 8 - so they are confused as to how it could have happened, but the main thing is we're sorted. So if you've got issues with redirection for Desktop/Start Menu on Windows 7 or 8, check the \\rangerserver\Ranger\clupdate\ subfolders for dodgy copies of files!

Now I can get on actually updating to Windows 7!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread