+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Impero console rights issue in Technical; I'm looking to get Impero set up so that the following happens: Any teacher can use the console from the ...
    Thank Post

Impero console rights issue

I'm looking to get Impero set up so that the following happens:

Any teacher can use the console from the teacher PC in an IT room (after entering the password) and see the PCs in that room. Only that room.

So if a teacher logs on in IT1, they see the IT1 machines. If they later log in in IT2, they see the IT2 machines.

I thought (and the Impero documentation implies) that you do this by assigning rights to the PCs, but when I do that I just get 'you don't have permission' errors when opening the console.

I contacted support, who told me that what I want to do is impossible, which is a bit odd as this should be pretty basic stuff for a classroom management app.

Am I going about this the right way?

2. Thanks to FishCustard from:

russdev (12th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Hi,

If you have set your PC's in groups as per room, then it is possible. We have 2 labs and in each the teachers can only see and manage the PC's in that lab.

wdp

Quote Originally Posted by FishCustard View Post
    I'm looking to get Impero set up so that the following happens:

Any teacher can use the console from the teacher PC in an IT room (after entering the password) and see the PCs in that room. Only that room.

So if a teacher logs on in IT1, they see the IT1 machines. If they later log in in IT2, they see the IT2 machines.

I thought (and the Impero documentation implies) that you do this by assigning rights to the PCs, but when I do that I just get 'you don't have permission' errors when opening the console.

I contacted support, who told me that what I want to do is impossible, which is a bit odd as this should be pretty basic stuff for a classroom management app.

Am I going about this the right way?

4. Thanks to Out_of_Sync from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts
    I had mine setup like that and it worked fine?!

At the time a bug in Impero meant you had to make an AD Group for the teacher PC in each room but once you did that you give the rights to that group (that group being only the teachers machine) and set its rights and off you went. You then made groups in Impero obviously and set all the PCs in that room in that group and away you went.

So teacher logged into the PC in the room they saw that room, if I logged onto that PC in the room I got the entire LAN as I had higher level rights it worked well.

We also had a bug with it using the groups and password combination which caused issues but that has, I think, been fixed assuming you are on the latest version of the product. @russdev will be able to confirm what release that was fixed in

6. Thanks to john from:

Thank Post
    @john - that's exactly what I did (AD group for the teacher PC), rights assigned. I could well be being a donkey here, I'll grab some screenshots of the Impero rights console later so you can sanity-check it.

PS - yep, latest version.

8. Thanks to FishCustard from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Slightly off topic but I rang the Impero help desk at about 1250 hours spoke to a chap who seemed to have difficulty understanding my name and school details then after explaining my issue he tells me Technical Support were out to lunch ring back in half an hour. Not the level of Service either expected nor in the past experienced from Impero!!

10. Thanks to speckytecky from:

Thank Post
    I have this working by assigning the access rights to the computer and I have never had a problem. Teacher logs in and enters password and can only see the group that I have assigned to that workstation.

I have the latest version installed but it also worked on all previous versions (last two years).

Seems strange that support would say it wasn't possible!

I have never had any problems with the support from Impero so it is interesting to hear this kind of feedback.

12. Thanks to HC_Netman from:

Thank Post
    I think @russdev needs to have a look at where that support experience went wrong as it doesn't sound like what I have had from them in the past (been a few months since I spoke to anyone but would surprise me such a change...)

14. Thanks to john from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi

Right the OP I believe has a session booked at this afternoon with technical support I believe there has been some miscommunication on what OP was trying to achieve. However @speckytecky just spoke to Support manager as there is no way you should of got that reply. Can me send the schools details (via pm) and I will use it to track this back so that we can found out what is going on.

Russell
    Last edited by russdev; 9th September 2013 at 03:23 PM.

16. 2 Thanks to russdev:

john (9th September 2013), speckytecky (9th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    OK. Certainly a one off I reckon as Impero Support is one of the main reasons we have the excellent system. Thanks Rus PM on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    Hi

Right the OP I believe has a session booked at this afternoon with technical support I believe there has been some miscommunication on what OP was trying to achieve. However @speckytecky just spoke to Support manager as there is no way you should of got that reply. Can me send the schools details (via pm) and I will use it to track this back so that we can found out what is going on.

Russell

18. Thanks to speckytecky from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HC_Netman View Post
    I have this working by assigning the access rights to the computer and I have never had a problem. Teacher logs in and enters password and can only see the group that I have assigned to that workstation.

I have the latest version installed but it also worked on all previous versions (last two years).

Seems strange that support would say it wasn't possible!

I have never had any problems with the support from Impero so it is interesting to hear this kind of feedback.
    Yep thats how we do it too. One of the main reasons for getting the software and was the first thing i set up.

20. Thanks to timbo343 from:

Thank Post
    Did you get a solution to what you wanted to achieve @FishCustard ? Just curious as I think I have the same "issue"

22. Thanks to DrPerceptron from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPerceptron View Post
    Did you get a solution to what you wanted to achieve @FishCustard ? Just curious as I think I have the same "issue"
    I just wanted to follow up I believe @FishCustard spoke to support but if still got an issue let me know. I believe support manager has left a message with for @speckytecky just to say sorry and worked with the person who they spoke to make sure that didn't happen in the future. Lastly @DrPerceptron sent you a pm and we can arrange a support person to give you a call and help you solve you issue.

Russell

24. 2 Thanks to russdev:

john (12th September 2013), speckytecky (13th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    I just wanted to follow up I believe @FishCustard spoke to support but if still got an issue let me know. I believe support manager has left a message with for @speckytecky just to say sorry and worked with the person who they spoke to make sure that didn't happen in the future. Lastly @DrPerceptron sent you a pm and we can arrange a support person to give you a call and help you solve you issue.

Russell
    Excellent support from a good company Thanks for chasing and following up Russ

26. Thanks to john from:

Thank Post
    @russdev - sorry for not getting back to you, been busy with 101 different things. Haven't had a chance to properly test it, but I believe that my issue was caused by a corrupt permissions/settings file on the server. I'll report back when I know everything is working as expected.

28. Thanks to FishCustard from:

russdev (13th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FishCustard View Post
    @russdev - sorry for not getting back to you, been busy with 101 different things. Haven't had a chance to properly test it, but I believe that my issue was caused by a corrupt permissions/settings file on the server. I'll report back when I know everything is working as expected.
    No problem hopefully everything ok.

Russell

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread