+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Managing your iPads in Technical; Currently we have fifteen iPads that I've been lumbered with managing, on top of my existing duties (but that's another ...

Thank Post

Managing your iPads

Currently we have fifteen iPads that I've been lumbered with managing, on top of my existing duties (but that's another discussion...).

How do you do it? I'm looking for any and all advice in how to effectively manage things; from installing apps to backup/restore settings to the best way to loan them out to staff.

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    You use a Mobile Device Management solution (MDM), There are several good ones around - I recommend Meraki.

This guide is VERY handy - https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/mer...epaper_ios.pdf

3. Thanks to SovietRussia from:

fromtheinternet (6th August 2013)

Thank Post
    Meraki looks exactly like what I'm after. Thanks very much!

Thank Post
    the best way of managing them is probably using the apple configurator with ether a imac or a mac server. Im trying to get meraki working in a school that uses SWGFL filtering, all ports have been unblocked that meraki specified but the devices will still not sync up. AirWatch is another alternative to look into

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fromtheinternet View Post
    Currently we have fifteen iPads that I've been lumbered with managing, on top of my existing duties (but that's another discussion...).

How do you do it? I'm looking for any and all advice in how to effectively manage things; from installing apps to backup/restore settings to the best way to loan them out to staff.

Thanks in advance.
    Use Apple Configurator and a VPP account to manage them and install apps. You can create an SOE image and load that on all the iPads. If you have a charge and sync cart, you can do them all at once including installing apps. Anything you can manage with MDM you can do with Configurator. With MDM you'd have to manually enroll each iPad and install each app anyway so Configurator is actually quicker. You have to use Configurator to place the iPads in supervised mode for MDM to be able to use some features as well. So, again there is no reason at all to use MDM in your circumstances. I wouldn't. Backup/restore is also taken care of with Configurator.

We have the iPads bar coded and cataloged in our library management system and they are checked out just like a book. That way they can be reserved and reminders come up when they are due, fines, etc.

Thank Post
    We don't have a sync cart. I've asked for one, but they're too expensive. Apparently it's more cost effective for me to do everything one device at a time.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Apparently it's more cost effective for me to do everything one device at a time.
    In that case, I would create a "Change Request" document and procedure that stipulates a minimum three week timeframe (only making changes during term breaks is better) for considering, testing, and installing any new apps or app updates onto the iPads. Since you have to do them all manually and the school probably won't want to give them up during class hours for you to manually backup, test. and update them - so you'll have to do it after hours, or during school breaks.

If they don't like that, then say "fine, but the iPads will be out of service for a minimum of three days whenever updates or new apps need to be added - or you can pay for a sync cart and we won't have that issue. Your choice".

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We don't have a sync cart. I've asked for one, but they're too expensive. Apparently it's more cost effective for me to do everything one device at a time.
    Ask them for one of these - http://www.griffintechnology.com/business/multidock

I have one in the office to sync the iPads we have in the library. It does 10 at a time and costs barely more than a single iPad. To be frank, if the school doesn't have enough money for that, then I wouldn't be sticking around for long as they seem willing to waste your time and can't do a simple cost-benefit analysis based on the amount of hours it will save you multiplied by your hourly rate. The opportunity cost of those lost hours along....sheesh.

Thank Post
    I'll tag on the end of this thread as I'm in the same boat.

I've made a Meraki account and installed Apple Configurator. Both appear to offer the same restrictions. My question is do I need to use both Meraki and Configurator or will using Configurator alone suffice?

Edit:
    Re installing apps. Do I setup an iPad with all the apps or are they installed via Meraki or Configurator?
    Last edited by Jobos; 15th January 2014 at 12:28 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread