+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, LAN Ranger alternative in Technical; I'd stick with Ranger if I were you. Yes, you could cobble together similar utilities to achieve a solution but ...

Thank Post

Re: LAN Ranger alternative

I'd stick with Ranger if I were you. Yes, you could cobble together similar utilities to achieve a solution but the case for Ranger is that it gives this flexibility but also retains the overall management in a core application which should give the SMT confidence that they do not have a unique network that is unsupportable by anyone else except their existing network manager and technicians. I have to admit I maybe bias here.

Thank Post

Ranger isn't really all that flexible and i've found an alternative to almost everything other than LAN Ranger, we stick to mainly standard MS solutions especially now we have 2003 R2 for printer deployment and disk quotas. I don't think anyone who is familiar with Windows domains would have much trouble picking it up so i feel Ranger becomes an unnecessary expense.

Thank Post

For the remote log on/log off/power on/power off/ect; functions i highly recommend NetSupport Schools.
    We use it here, and although its mainly a teaching app, i find it invaluable myself, as i can ban internet sites through it faster than the kids can find them.

Thank Post
    Any1 tried LanView ? its 100% free

What is LanView3?
    LanView 3 contains many features such as listing all network stations, and their respective users, including their full names (if linked with User Extractor 3). In additon, LV3 boast the following;

Manage PC's and Users individually or by group

Remote Control using the popular VNC tools
    Shutdown, reboot and logoff machines
    Turn on PC's remotely (requires Wake On Lan support in stations BIOS)
    Turn on or off internet access for a station or user (where ever they sit!)
    Allocate a user or station to the Ignored group for 'Always on' Internet access
    Defrag or Scandisk remotely, and without logging in.
    Syncronise Time across remote PC's
    Send Messages to remote PC's
    Watch users and be warned when they login
    Allocate a user or station to the IAM Managers group so that they can control their own group's application access with simple Red and Green Buttons. (ideal for teachers controlling their classroom)
    Get Attention Screen. Stop the distractions. Customise the 'The teacher requires your attention' message
    Full support for scheduling. Wake up or shutdown groups of PCs at a pre-defined time.
    Enable or Disable application access at predefined times.

Thank Post
    We just started using Impero. A bit Primative in the interface but works well.

Defo alternative to Ranger Remote Control & Print Manager(when the print plug in is released)

Cost us 5k but each year the rolling cost is 1000 which will save us in the long run. COnsidering im saving 2750 each year now on Ranger RC thats not bad.

But I still need to use Lan Ranger & Ranger Administrator to enforce desktop environment & security policies.

Ive not found an alternative. Net support etc run on the same engine so no point moving to them.

But further suggestions would be welcome all..........

Thank Post

NetOp School

Have a look at NetOp School 5.5 the latest version works with Vista and a very high level of security policies

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by burgemaster View Post
    Any1 tried LanView ? its 100% free

Yep I use LanView and Slideshow here. Works 100% I've got a dedicated workstation setup just scrolling through all the active screens on the network.

All you do is install the server software on a normal machine then install the small client application on each machine and its done! You can control the PC's remotly which is great when you get a call from someone the other side of the building who cant seem to change their font!

Thank Post
    The problem with NetOP, NSS, Lanview and Ranger Remote is that they are all remote control apps they don't provide similar features to LanRanger.

We do use Ranger Remote currently i've been impressed with LanView but i see it as a potential replacement for Ranger Remote but not Lan Ranger.

Cheers.

Thank Post
    NetOp School also allows real time monitoring among it's features. NetOp Remote is a different product?

Thank Post
    How much is NetOp School per station approximatly?

It seems to be a remote teaching package am i looking at the wrong product?

http://www.netop.com/netop-8.htm

It looks good but it's still not a replacement for LanRanger really. It's still more of a teaching tool rather than a network/admin tool.

Cheers.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 14th May 2008 at 09:00 AM.

Thank Post
    We have used Impero for about 18 months now. It's very much a product in development still, which has some positives and negatives.

The positives are the development team are very approachable, easily contacted and receptive to ideas for enhancing the product. I have seen a significant number of product enhancements delivered as a result of suggestions made through some pretty active threads on their support forum.

The negatives are minor, occasionally they break something when a new release comes out, and secondly they do seem to release updates frequently so keeping up to date with new functions can be challenging.

Overall, we would say that it has been extremely effective in our school; staff like it as it gives them control as well as providing some useful facilities to aid teaching too.

The ICT support team like it because it has some useful facilities to execute tasks across multiple client PCs & monitor what is going on.

The students hate it, because it can be very effective at keeping them on task. They have even coined a new expression, "I have been imperoed"

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 729 Posts
    Moving up to CC4 summer with SAN back end and 10Tb backup solution including virtualisation software will only have to upgrade licenses at 45 each client but it will include a whole host of new features including total control for teachers, all this for 45 per client and will be ours for good and not have to keep shelling out every year or get bogged down rewriting scripts when there has been a Microsoft update makes life a lot easier so i can get on with other things to benefit the school.
    It's ok to save money and i don't condemn anyone who does but there comes a time when a little spent saves a whole fortune later on it depends on how you view it and the workloads placed upon the IT support.
    I would say over 6 years we have spent approx 250,000 on the network, some schools have spent in excess of between 2m - 3m depending on the size of the school and also if they have a sixth form.

Thank Post
    Another vote for Lanview here, in fact MST software have some excellent utilities.
    We ditched Ranger a while back and really haven't missed the horrible beast since.

Thank Post
    I can appreciate where you're coming from bossman but we have made big savings since we left RM for Ranger and i see us making even more savings once we remove Ranger. We feel we have the in house skill to not need RM and have developed a pretty low maintenance network here it's certainly not any more work than when we were RM.

Wow i've never seen even close to 2m - 3m, if only :-)

As i say LanRanger is the only tool we can't replace. Ranger Remote is a great tool but it's not as instant access as LanRanger for certain tasks.

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    The only feature i think we will really miss is LAN Ranger as it allows us to see which stations are turned on or logged on in real time and you can also shutdown all stations with one click (i know psshutdown will do this but it's not a slick).
    Sorry to harp on but Lanview will do this, it's free, it's in msi format so you can deploy the client through Group Policy and it's free.;-)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast