+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, GPOs combined with mandatory profile in Technical; Hi all I have recently taken over as ICT manager for a secondary school. The network has a network management ...

Thank Post

GPOs combined with mandatory profile

Hi all

I have recently taken over as ICT manager for a secondary school. The network has a network management software setup. The software is CSE Network manager. I have just started to get my head around it as I have been used to using the vanilla setup in other schools. I am currently busy planning to get the network back onto a vanilla setup using GPOs and mandatory profiles. However, after working with the management software for a few months it does seem quite good and has some useful utilities, but it the cost is a big drawback.

It would be good to get some views on vanilla v management sotware.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: GPOs combined with mandatory profile

Management software should compliment vanilla setups, not dominate them. The minute the management software gets in the way of the flexability of a vanilla network then it becomes a hinderance IMHO.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

Are you refering to workspace explorer ? If so, which version ?
    I have found it very good for central management of applications etc - as you state its expensive but I think saves quite a bit of time and effort on managing PCs.....

Thank Post

We had the ranger suite of software installed on this network when I first started, which is designed to make it easier to restrict workstations, and provide useful functions like user tracking, bulk adding and removing users, etc.

Initially I liked this software, but over time I discovered its many limitations and problems it created (specifically how it slowed login times down, and didn't work properly with mandatory profiles) We've now removed ranger as of august this year and are running a vanilla network with a few tweaks to make it do what we want. Result, faster logon times and a more reliable network, and several thousend pounds a year saved. I've yet to find a suite of network management software which has really impressed me.

Mike.

Thank Post

Thanks for the feedback.

Do you combine a mandatory profile with GPO or just use a GPO to lock stuff down? Its just that we do a SLA for another school and I have recently stripped CSE software and went back to vanilla, but there has been issues with certain software apps. Its like a permissions issue when trying to run the software when logged in with the mandatory profile. The programs start up and run ok, but some functionality doesnt seem to be there. For example when there are speratate image folders attached to the software.

Thank Post

Here we tend to use a default profile housed in netlogon for basic application configuration then use folder redirection to provide a desktop and start menu that is also held in a share. Any other settings are provided using group policy.

Thank Post

We combine a mandatory profile with GPO, and find this gives us the best secure and consistant environment for our students. You have to make sure the permissions are all set properly on a mandatory policy, or you can get strange things happening like file access issues, GPO's not applying and the like.

Mike.

Thank Post

Thanks again for the replies, it is good to get view of people who are in the same position.

Since my last post I have had a nightmare with the CSE software falling over and mixing all the printer scripts up in the school. So now I am going to get away from using this software and go back to a vanilla setup.

It is quite a large high school so it would be good to get some advice on how I should go about this to make the job as painless as possible. When I took the software off at the other school it is small with only 2 suites, but had quite a few problems.

ta

ed

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread