+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Vision and network broadcasts in Technical; Hi all, i've been lurking around these parts for awhile but only started posting recently... so .. hello I've been ...
    Thank Post

Vision and network broadcasts

Hi all, i've been lurking around these parts for awhile but only started posting recently... so .. hello

I've been monitoring my schools network and there seems to be alot of broadcast packets which i think i've tracked back to Vision Classroom management software which is running on all our classroom machines.

I suppose it'd be ok on a small network, but we have over 600 computers here and in wireshark vision packets must makeup at least 70% of the traffic!!

I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this, and how is it affecting your network?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Vision and network broadcasts

Doesn't it have a teacher / tutor package as part of it? I had these broadcasts with Synchroneyes but not with AB Tutor Control.

Thank Post

Yeh it has a student and a 'master' package.
    Only the student client is installed on the machine (via MSI + GPO) as the master/teacher client is installed manually by a tech onto the teachers laptop.

I'm 100% sure the broadcast packets are coming from the vision student client. I was just wondering if anyone here has or does currently use vision and if they've had any problems with network storms and what they've done to stop this.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries

IIRC the student package is constantly announcing itself to available teacher clients rather than the other way round.

We are now looking to block broadcast traffic on the ports for ABTutor to all IPs apart from the range that staff laptops sit on so we can get it running fully.

Thank Post

Sounds like a plan... Let me know how you get on with that. The school I'm at all the workstations and laptops are assigned IPs by DHCP, but I suppose it would be worth the hassle to change that in order to stop our switches going like there's some rave going on in the server room.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts

We run vision in 4 class rooms and can't say I've noticed a problem like this.

Ben

Thank Post

We're on Vision 6 here. I tried updating our computers to the latest, 6.5.2 but they just were uninstalling the old package and refusing to install the new one, which was strange. More trouble than it's worth!

I also find the teacher client over bulky. Really heavy on the resources over animated and stuff, it runs really slow (if it runs at all!!)

I've been looking at that LANView that I saw in another thread. I'm tempted to test it out on one of my primary schools and see how good it is before recommending it on the secondary school.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts

I don't like Vision 6 as much as I liked Mastereye 5 but it works fine on the machine here.

You need to install the lastest version of issscript that comes with it before you install the vision.msi itself.

I push out both the teacher and client using gpo and the msi with a transform for the teacher client to include serial number etc... I then target the install using wmi filter for either student pc or desktop pc.

I also use a seperate gpo for each room.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread