+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Changes to data protection act in Technical; Originally Posted by localzuk Also, markbooks should all now be done via your school's chosen MIS system. "should" according to ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,468 Times in 1,912 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Changes to data protection act

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    Also, markbooks should all now be done via your school's chosen MIS system.
    "should" according to whom? And how far does this go? If the French teacher does a 10 question vocab test every week, they might want to keep a copy of the results, but surely you wouldn't expect them to enter them all into the MIS. Even if they did, I'm sure that lots of staff would keep separate copies for their own records as well.
    Should, according to the DFES and according to your LA's.

All reports should be filed under your child's personal folder also, when they are released.
    They are, but can we be sure that the teacher didn't keep a copy for their own reference, or just forget to delete their draft copy?
    Thats irrelevant though, as you don't need to provide copies of copies. You just need to provide access to the data - if there are 3 places storing that same data, just provide a copy of one.

No information should be on a home computer - as this would be a breach of the DPA as it is not a maintained system which complies with your school policies.
    What about their pen drives? Our class lists often list dates of birth, and many teachers keep copies of class lists.

Minefield :-)
    Pen drives are there for the easy transfer of their work between machines. They aren't there for storing information. In other words, anything on a key should be also somewhere else. Why do your class lists contain dates of birth? Why would teachers need access to that information?

What I am pointing out is that these issues are simply procedural problems that should be solved by your school. They aren't impossible to solve - nearly all of them don't exist at our school (a few do though, but they will need to be sorted out).

Also, if there is information stored on teacher's accounts they should easily be able to provide you with it when asked. I don't see much taking 40 days to get together!

Thank Post

@sjplot - I wasn't trying to suggest that because it seemed impossible, we weren't bound by it, I was just saying that it seems impossible!

I'm open to suggestions for what we can do in order to fulfill our legal requirements because at present, I am not sure we can...

Thank Post

Should, according to the DFES and according to your LA's.
    We're indy, so not bound by what the LA says. I'd be interested to see your source from the DFES which says 'all marks must be recorded in a MIS' though...

Also, if there is information stored on teacher's accounts they should easily be able to provide you with it when asked. I don't see much taking 40 days to get together!
    I agree with your theory, but would it actually happen, if you said "okay everyone, we need everything you have on paper and computer (home and school) regarding x pupil who left in 1998. And we need it now please". Whose job would it be to go through all the files on the school network looking to see whether each one contains any personal information? How about the notepad which sits on my desk for random scribblings over the course of the day, and I keep for a little while after its full in case I need to refer back to it? Could you check them all the potential sources within the 40 day time-frame (remembering that about 10 of those 40 days are weekends)?

you don't need to provide copies of copies. You just need to provide access to the data - if there are 3 places storing that same data, just provide a copy of one.
    Good point!

Possibly I'm making an unnecessary drama out of this - in part it comes down to exactly what is, and isn't, covered by the term "personal information".

Thank Post

Why do your class lists contain dates of birth? Why would teachers need access to that information?
    It's quite useful in the Primary School, where age within the academic year can have a huge bearing on the child's ability - remember that in Year 1, the September-born child is nearly 20% older than the August-born.

Also, some tutors like to say "happy birthday" to form members on the appropriate day :-)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12