+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Program Sets on a Windows Vanilla Network in Technical; Good Morning All, Is it possible to create program sets on a Windows Server 2003 R2 Vanilla network, Like in ...

Thank Post

Program Sets on a Windows Vanilla Network

Good Morning All,

Is it possible to create program sets on a Windows Server 2003 R2 Vanilla network, Like in RM CC3 and CC4, you can use the RMMC to create program sets which will appear on the users all programs list. The reason I want to do this is so the resources I assign to users are organized in the correct subject folder. Can this be done via gpo?

Thanks Guys,

Superaz300

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    You could redirect the Start Menu policy which is what I done at the last place I would heavily test beforehand though specially if running mixed environment XP/Win 7 etc. You then have freedom to organise the folders by subject area or what ever. I had issues with a few things i.e. security settings for the links to work.

All you do is create a shortcut to the application (wether that be a Web based, local computer or network based) and place it in the relevant place/folder.

We moved from a similar custom Windows interface to that method and there were no complaints from users not able to find applications.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I use GPPs to build the start menu so you can add a check in to see if the software is installed (kinda like the way CCx only displays shortcuts for installed software).

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    I use GPPs to build the start menu so you can add a check in to see if the software is installed (kinda like the way CCx only displays shortcuts for installed software).
    Didn't think there were Group Policy Preferences in 2003, also if running XP would need the Preference extensions installed on clients?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Davit2005 View Post
    Didn't think there were Group Policy Preferences in 2003, also if running XP would need the Preference extensions installed on clients?
    You can't create or edit them on a 2003 box but you can use RSAT from a Vista/Win 7/Win 8 machine to do this.
    Some educational reading: Group Policy Preference Server 2003
    So...yeah was on topic really.

Thank Post
    Hey Guys,

Thankyou for all these replies, I dont know what to do for the best really because all my clients are mainly Windows XP and Windows 7. All I need to do is for the shortcuts for the programs to appear in there folders, I dont want the software to appear on the desktop.

Does anybody know any 3rd party software that can do this for me.

Thanks Guys,

Superaz300

Thank Post
    If you check out this old thread there is an autoit script that re-creates the "RM CC3" style program sets on the workstation based on a central repository.

PS, scripts is on page 3 but the rest is background info

8. Thanks to Boredguy from:

superaz300 (22nd July 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information