+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Clipart CD and CC3 in Technical; Since you've all be on the ball this morning...I'll try another issue I'm having. We have a Clipart CD, which ...

Thank Post

Clipart CD and CC3

Since you've all be on the ball this morning...I'll try another issue I'm having.

We have a Clipart CD, which runs an install program to dump it's browser program in Program Files, yet leaves all the clipart on the CD. I want to allocate this to a certain room only. So we built a package and of course it doesn't work without the CD in the drive, so we made a VC4 image on the V: drive and entered it into the CD-ROM Manager Access database.

Strange this is, this works on packagebuild machine, but not on any other machine. On my second test machine, the CD image gets loaded to U:, but the browser can't find any collections of clipart.

Anyone see a problem like this or found a solution?

Nick

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Clipart CD and CC3

The software might still be looking for the clipart resources on the local drive, H:. I think, IIRC, you will need to create the package once you have mounted it using the virtual drive so it knows where to look once it's allocated.

Thank Post

You need to build the virtual CD image first - then mount the image into Drive U and create the package using the installer from your virtual CD drive U, rather than using the installer off the actual CDROM.

The way you've done it means the package is always looking for the CD in the local CDROM drive rather than looking for the virtual CDROM.

RM Application Wizard has a wizard for doing what you need to do. Open up AppWiz and then click "Manage a Multimedia Title" then click "Install a new Multimedia Title" and the wizard will guide you through creating the virtual CDROM and creating the package.

Butuz

Thank Post

Mm doesn't quite work. Image was created fine, package was dropped ok, but it says it can't find any Collections of clipart despite the CD image being loaded onto U:

Any ideas, apart from this being an unreasonable stubborn piece of software

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

When making the package - did you install it after it had been mounted onto the virtual CD-ROM drive?

Thank Post

I used Butuz's suggestion of using the App Wizard to manage a Multimedia title. Strange thing is that it's not even appearing in the CD ROM Manager, despite during the above process it prompted me for details to enter into the db.

Should I use this order...

1. make the image
    2. mount it onto the U
    3. start the 1st scan
    4. run the install
    5. start the 2nd scan

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yes. You need to make sure that when you create the package - the software loads the resources from the location that will be available to all users later on - in your case, the U drive.

Thank Post

But how will the package know to load the image onto U. I thought this is what you use the CD Rom Manager and db for. Will give it a spin! Thanks

Thank Post

Ah out of interest how are you running the program - are you using the standard shortcut that was created by the package - or are you running CDROM player and running it like that?

If your using the program shortcut that came with the package - you can't. If you wish to use a shortcut to start a VCDROM program you need to create a special shortcut:

"C:\Program Files\Research Machines\CD ROM Player\CDROMPlayer.exe" /L:CDROMNAME

And replace CDROMNAME with the actual name of the VCD. This will launch the CDROM platyer title in the background, and automatically load the VCD into drive U.

The above should work provided that the title is set up correctly in CDROM database.

Andrew

Thank Post

I think I've tried both ways. Both with the same result. The software in itself is fine, but it can't see the clipart collection on drive U:
    Ta, will try that now.

Thank Post

Guys

Thanks for your help. still can't get it working and I feel it's down to the software itself rather than the processes you have suggested.

Got a reply from their support team who say that GSP software have issues with drive letters higher than N: (for some reason!) and asked to me install it on a drive lower/before N:......never mind!

Thanks again anyway. I think I'll look for a clipart collection which advertises network compatibility.

Nick

Thank Post

OK, so I thought around the problem and reckoned if I could install it locally on maybe 5 machines and copy the CD so that each machine would run it..that would work....

Wrong! Install it as administrator, it works, login as someone else, it doesn't. So I thought it's a permissions issue... I gave my test login full access to the program files directory where all the program's files are kept. Nada.

I guess it's a quirk of the software. I just can't admit defeat on this cheap piece of software!

Thank Post

multimedia title

Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    Ah out of interest how are you running the program - are you using the standard shortcut that was created by the package - or are you running CDROM player and running it like that?

If your using the program shortcut that came with the package - you can't. If you wish to use a shortcut to start a VCDROM program you need to create a special shortcut:

"C:\Program Files\Research Machines\CD ROM Player\CDROMPlayer.exe" /L:CDROMNAME

And replace CDROMNAME with the actual name of the VCD. This will launch the CDROM platyer title in the background, and automatically load the VCD into drive U.

The above should work provided that the title is set up correctly in CDROM database.

Andrew

Hi

anyone can tell me, multimedia title which was made and worked fine in admin account using created shortcut but which is not working from other user account. I have added the group who can use this title in RMMC still I got problem.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread