+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Request for comments on our latest installation in Technical; We put the trunking underneath the benching with a hole cut into the worktop at the back for the power ...
    Thank Post

Re: Request for comments on our latest installation

We put the trunking underneath the benching with a hole cut into the worktop at the back for the power and Cat5, we then just zip tie the excess to keep it away from stray legs, works a treat with no problems.

Thank Post

thats no good

Thank Post

I completely agree with unixman and plexer, that's an awful installation and equipment spec.

My initial thought was "lol"

sorry but it's almost comical.

Thank Post

I;m gonna have to agree with everyone on here. Very bad design, positioning etc. I think moving the PC Box on its side and placing behind the monitor would be a great start though. Have the keyboard and mouse on the benching. I would cable tie the cables behind so its all out of the way. I don't know if it would work or not, but perhaps tie wrapping the mouse and keyboard leads to the monitor base as well will give them extra security, but leave a good bit of slack for movement etc.

It just needs some refinement. I've had a similar room here, which was tidied up a bit, but you have to work with what you are given.

Thank Post

Why purchase flat screen monitors if your are going to abuse the added space they create on a desk.

Flat screen monitor with its small foot print give the pupil more room for hand written exercises and text books etc, and you've planted a workstation smack bang in the space, stand the units up on the feet that probably came with the units - which you've probably thrown away.

That keyboard position is terrible, completely un-usable and impractical. Forget about getting cables tidy, position the computers and monitors/Key boards in a way that makes them usable.

Thank Post

The problem with what some of you are suggesting of putting the base units side on behind the monitor is that this can be incredibly messy to look at. Side-on and in between the users, i.e. with all the cables pointing backwards would be much neater (although can provide nice little screens to hide what they're doing).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

Not a nice layout at all, needs re-jigging from scratch. Keyboard should be infront the screen with mouse to the left/right of the keyboard. Baseunits need to be on the floor, under the desk or if on the desk not squashing the user.

Thank Post

Thanks for the replies nice people!

To answer a few questions raised. A professional cabling company performed the installation and ICT had no say in the matter. We in ICT installed the machines as best we could. We chose the smallest footprint boxes we had in stock and went with flat screens to keep it compact. I assumed the cabling people, would be fitting it to the wall behind or underneath the benching. The keyboards are on top of the base units simply because there is no where else to put them. I am reluctant to put the base units on their sides as they are prone to fall over. The monitors are more stable than they appear. Apparently there are plans to put the base units underneath, which will help recover some space.

Yes, we've said the trunking should be removed and not mounted on the surface. Our pleas have fallen on deaf ears. Trunking on the bench is a waste of space. I also have visions of bottles of drink being knocked over and spilling into the power sockets with dire consequences. Try as we might, we cannot keep drinks completely out of the classrooms.

I am not happy about the data and electrical cabling running in the same trunking. I pointed this out to the big wigs, who checked back with the installers, and were told it is OK to do this. It was then pointed out to me that we have similar cabling on other areas of the school, which I didn't know about. That might explain some of the intermittent problems that we experience. They are exactly as unixman described; shared drives vanishing, connections to CMIS terminating for no reason, eportal dropping off the face of the planet etc. I know it's a very bad idea to run data and power cabling together, but them in charge seem unwilling to accept my advice.

We in ICT are between a rock and a hard place; we are probably going to have to make the best of this mess, and when network traffic grinds to a halt as a consequence of collisions, we can say "well we warned you". This room is connected to the rest of the network by a fibre link. I don't if the EMI will just affect this room or have wider consequences.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by john
    Keyboard should be infront the screen with mouse to the left/right of the keyboard
    Not all our classroom PCs are like this

See here on our virtual tour for example:

http://www.theovalprimary.co.uk/inde...ask=view&id=13

You can see that the keyboard is to the left of the monitor and when the monitor is in use, they just turn it so they can see what they are doing. There is no room to do it any other way. The desk cannot be any larger due to the doorway being just to the right of it. That just happens to be where the network point is located

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by _Bat_
    You can see that the keyboard is to the left of the monitor and when the monitor is in use, they just turn it so they can see what they are doing. There is no room to do it any other way. The desk cannot be any larger due to the doorway being just to the right of it. That just happens to be where the network point is located
    I know you're making the best out of the situation; but that is a very bad set up for prolonged use. Anyone using that workstaion for any amount of time should experience shoulder pains from looking over all the time. Monitor should always be directly infront of keyboard/mouse.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    I know you're making the best out of the situation; but that is a very bad set up for prolonged use.
    To be honest, the monitor is rarely used. I'm not sure you what you can see from the photo, but the projector is connected directly to the computer. The monitor is disconnected. This is how it is in most classrooms and this is how it stays almost permanantly in most. I sent an e-mail around asking if they wanted the laptops connected to the projectors, or the PCs (stating the consequences of using the PCs) and this is how they wanted it. We cannot afford a VGA splitter for each classroom.

So basically the kids use the interactive whiteboard in the classrooms... the keyboard and mouse aren't used for long periods at a time (mainly just for eportal - marking the register).

Any word processing etc. for the teacher or pupils is usually done in the ICT Suite which is obviously a much better setup.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ah right, that's not too bad then

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by john
    Baseunits need to be on the floor
    Only if you fancy constantly having to crack them open and go at them with an air duster - I find the PCs on the floor suck all sorts of dust and fluff through the fans, and I clean them far more frequently than the others. Wherever possible, I make sure they are on the desks - less likely to get kicked, too.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by openhgs
    Apparently there are plans to put the base units underneath, which will help recover some space.
    We installed some of these Duoflex to attach base units to the underside of the benching. Installation takes slightly longer, but once they're in they look good.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries

I would suggest that it goes further than being uncomfortable for use, I would say it is a health and safety risk. Speak to the health and safety people at your LEA if the school isn't paying any attention.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast