+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Slow logon for two profiles? in Technical; I know this has been discussed previously, but in general the network (roadming) profiles don't take that long to load ...
    Thank Post

Slow logon for two profiles?

I know this has been discussed previously, but in general the network (roadming) profiles don't take that long to load at logon but we have two specific logon profiles that seem to take a lot longer than any other to load, so I don't think its any of the DNS settings etc as its limited to just a couple no matter where they are loaded. All of our profiles use redirected folders for thier My Documents and a global desktop (same for all users). Any suggestions what I could do to reduce their logon time, can I remove anything from the profile which is not needed (suggestions?) or is it that their My Documents redirected folder has quite alot of files in it? Open to any suggestions.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,534 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Slow logon for two profiles?

Maybe the profile size is big

Thank Post

The size of these profiles would seem to be the first thing to check.

To prevent long logon times we have taken the following actions:

all student accounts use a mandatory profile, all students get the same profile all the time (and they can't change anything).

when they log off the locally stored profile gets deleted, if there are a lot of locally stored profiles you may get long initial logon times

As you have we redirect every users folders to a network share, some of our students amass a lot of files though not data as we set disk quotas and we don't have any problems with slow logon (well no ones complained :? ).

Some times you get this type of issue and there doesn't seem to be any reason, recently we have a couple of staff where their laptops wouldn't synchronise correctly and apart from the amount of data they had there didn't appear to be any reason for this. We created a new account for each of them and copied all their data to the new account and sync worked fine!

Thank Post

Redirected folders should make no difference to the logon speeds, infact roaming profiles themselves don't take that long to load, but they do take a while to appy sometimes, and the same goes for group policy objects, the more there are to load, the slower the logon.

We use simelar to the above, all users have a mandatory profile, and all local profiles are deleted when the user logs off as this can cause slow downs, as the policies are merged at logon if there's already a local profile in existance.

We have the users desktop, start menu and my documents folders re-directed to various places, and to speed things up even more the application data folder is deleted from the mandatory profile, so the local version of this is used at logon and disgarded at logoff. We find this gives an average logon time of around 40seconds, maybe upto 60 seconds on some of our slower machines. This may not sound breathtakingly fast (we have the 'wait for network at logon' policy enabled) but it is very consistant, and doesn't change much even when the network is busy.

Mike.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by maniac
    We use simelar to the above, all users have a mandatory profile, and all local profiles are deleted when the user logs off as this can cause slow downs, as the policies are merged at logon if there's already a local profile in existance.

and to speed things up even more the application data folder is deleted from the mandatory profile, so the local version of this is used at logon and disgarded at logoff.
    Many thansk for the replys, have started looking at using a common ntuser.man for all the class logons, loaded from a central location just to make things easier to manage.

How do you delete the local profiles? Do you do this via a script or via a GPO setting? If its a script, have you got an example?
    The same with the application data folder, as that is one of the largest parts of the profiles is that deleted by script or GPO setting?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

There is an option in GP to delete the local profiles

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Sorry no i think the policy is only for when a user has just been using that profile not all the profiles.

Thank Post

Thanks, think I've found a script sent in by another user of EduGeek so I'll try that. Just need to know the best way to delete the Application Directory off the profile.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Please can you attach the script here so other members who may need it can get it as well. Thanks

Thank Post

Here it is, just did a search on the forums:

http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?nam...profile+script

This could be whats causing the problems as peolpe are starting to complain that logon is progressivly getting slower (although times are between 40 to 90 seconds). The original problem is I think the size of the profiles and I will sort that by making a small default profile mandatory for them. Just need to get the best way to delete the Application directory.

Thanks Guys, God am I glad of this forum for tech support.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thanks

Thank Post

As a slight aside, if I manually delete the Application Data folder from the users profile and make sure the ntuser.man is set, when the user logs on then off will the directory be recreated, thus forcing me to delete the foleder again so it won't be copied again at the next logon or is it not created due to it being a mandatory profile?

Sorry for the inane questions be we have all got to learn somewhere and don't ever see me going on any courses that would enable me to answer my specific questions.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

It won't be created because its a mandatory profile. Any mandatory profile doesn’t change the original file.

Thank Post

Whoopee! Sorts that little problem out, as if I swap them over to a central profile and I need to reset anything I'll only have to delete one folder :-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

when you say delete Application Data folder is that on the server or on the clients?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast