+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Slow logon for two profiles? in Technical; From Maniac's earlier reply I presumed it was the profiles on the server as the local ones are to be ...
    Thank Post

Re: Slow logon for two profiles?

From Maniac's earlier reply I presumed it was the profiles on the server as the local ones are to be deleted so they don't interfere with the logon process.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Blog Entries

sorry you have lost me now

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by maniac
    and to speed things up even more the application data folder is deleted from the mandatory profile, so the local version of this is used at logon and disgarded at logoff.
    Mike.
    As 'maniac' says, they delete the Application Data folder from the server based mandatory profile (seems logical and Ok after your explanation to my question about it) so just asking is there a script that would do this task.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

oh right i get you sorry.

Well i would still have an application data folder someplace but have it redirected to the location.

Thank Post

But surely if its not written to if mandatory profiles are used and any software that requires an entry in that folder will have its entry in the local copy (default user) for which ever PC it was installed on, then its only use is for roaming profiles which I am trying to get away from.

If you understand my logic, I'm doing well for a Sunday night!!!

If you didn't, don't worry, think I've enough amunition now to attack the slow logons.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

well when you make the profile you will open up software such as Microsoft Office 2003 and the installer will come up. If you use the same application data folder you have there set to redirection when each user opens Microsoft Office 2003 they won't get the installer. But if you have profiles without the application data folder each and every time the user open Microsoft Office when they have just logged on the machine they will see the installer. Sorry I haven’t explained that well.

Thank Post

If you delete the 'application data' from the server copy of the mandatory profile, then the users application data folder will be created on the local machine at logon, based on the machines 'all users' application data folder.

The only file actually required in the mandatory profile is the user.man file itsself, everything else can be left out and it will run quite happily. Personally I leave the rest of the items in place, just the application data folder I remove because of its size.

If you re-direct it to a shared 'application data' area, then you run into all sorts of problems with multiple users all trying to read/write from the shared folder Never quite seen the point of this active directory setting as I've never got it to work!

As I say, my logon time isn't particulary fast, around 40 seconds, but it is reliable and consistant. We used to run roaming profiles here for the students about 2 years ago, one of the first changes I recommended when I started was moving to a mandatory policy, it halved the logon time overnight.

We still use roaming profiles for the staff as it allows them to customise their desktops, wallpaper etc, which we don't mind them doing.

Mike.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester
    well when you make the profile you will open up software such as Microsoft Office 2003 and the installer will come up. If you use the same application data folder you have there set to redirection when each user opens Microsoft Office 2003 they won't get the installer. But if you have profiles without the application data folder each and every time the user open Microsoft Office when they have just logged on the machine they will see the installer. Sorry I haven’t explained that well.
    These settings are stored in the user.dat (or .man) registry file and not the application data folder. Providing you have run through the initial setup wizard on the username you create the mandatory policy with, then the same settings will apply to all users using that policy. I register ours to 'Authorised User' with our school name as the company.

The same applies to windows media player, and software like Macromedia suite, paint shop pro, etc. However, if you run Cubase you will need a small section of the application data folder to stop the registration screen appearing, as this program does store these settings in this folder.

The brilliant thing I find about mandatory profiles is you can open up the user.man file as a hive in regedit, and if you know your way around the registry you can control virtually any aspect of the users environment including some settings you can't define through group policy.

Mike.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by maniac
    We still use roaming profiles for the staff as it allows them to customise their desktops, wallpaper etc, which we don't mind them doing.

Mike.
    Thanks, thats what we are aiming towards, just that at some point they were roaming profiles and now I just need to back up a little and remove all the rubbish they created i.e. the local profiles etc. Thanks for the info (thats everyone) its cleared up quite a few questions I had of the dark arts of roaming and mandatory profiles.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12