+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, iPad Use Policy in Technical; We've got a fairly modest number of iPads in school, but they're growing all the time, and students are now ...
    JMB

Thank Post

iPad Use Policy

We've got a fairly modest number of iPads in school, but they're growing all the time, and students are now starting to bring theirs in with them. Does anyone have an iPad use policy? Ideally one they won't mind me "borrowing from", and also ideally in an SEN setting. Thanks!!

Thank Post
    just out of interest here, do you have a BYOD policy? primary, secondary or academy school?

Thank Post
    A handy starter for what you're after...?
    iPad Acceptable Use Policy

However I think we're all getting a bit bogged down in policies. It's confusing pupils, staff and even those who write the things (me included). Rather than an AUP, an internet policy, a behaviour (ICT) policy, an iPAD policy etc. etc. I'd suggest we need a simple, straight forward responsible use policy.

It's about respecting the equipment, others and yourself. It's about being nice; it's about being positive. It's about being responsible for your actions.

4. Thanks to IrritableTech from:

speckytecky (30th March 2013)

JMB

Thank Post
    Thanks, guys. We're a special school, so we have students from reception to FE ages. We don't have a BYOD policy, although obviously we have acceptable use/internet policies. But since iPads present such unique problems (mobile internet access, cameras, etc.), we've been looking at establishing a policy in line with our eSafety policies. I do wonder if a BYOD device policy is the way forward - a blanket, catchall policy that covers ANYTHING.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    Thanks, guys. We're a special school, so we have students from reception to FE ages. We don't have a BYOD policy, although obviously we have acceptable use/internet policies. But since iPads present such unique problems (mobile internet access, cameras, etc.), we've been looking at establishing a policy in line with our eSafety policies. I do wonder if a BYOD device policy is the way forward - a blanket, catchall policy that covers ANYTHING.
    If that is what your schools is going forward with, then i would just incorporate it into the BYOD policy, saves you the hastle of creating yet another policy.

Thank Post
    A day ago, an article appeared online on one of our major newspapers: Designing A GooD BYOD Policy | Mobility Policy Is All About The User

I count this as one of the worst articles on the subject ever written....

Here was my response to the article (pending perusal by newspaper), and it may apply here:

Completely missing the point is that in the workplace, workers are there to work, and they must abide by company policy. The article seems to pontificate that users be able to being along any device they see fit and put the onus back on the IT department to work FOR them to enable them to use devices that they also use in their personal lives.

This equation is completely backwards. The company, which not only pays their salary, also puts in place policies to decide what devices can be used in the workplace and what security implications there are using such devices. The company should have zero interest in making ANY effort to enable users to enable their personal devices on a company network.

Ive seen plenty of educational institutions and some companies start to and accomplish setting up BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) infrastructure and policies, and at their cost, and my response to this is "Are you mental?". Who in their right mind would spend capital expenditure to enable users to use whatever device they own in a company/educational institution environment. the side effects or loss of productivity, security and the time spent catering to some random persons one off device having issues is just a massive time vampire hovering over the whole idea.

Certainly where i work, people go there TO work, get paid for doing that work.

The company or institution is there to make money/teach, not subject itself to the whims and wants of a tablet/iphone carrying timewaster.

Implying theres some sort of right for users to expect this is unprofessional, completely uninformed and goes against the core responsibility of the IT department has to its employer, to provide a functional and secure environment for the benefit of the company not the end user....

8. 2 Thanks to stylemessiah:

speckytecky (30th March 2013), SYNACK (30th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Why do we have ICT in education?

1) To steamline the administration processes of the establishment.
    2) To enhance the education of the student by enriching what is delivered in the classroom.

As long as BYOD contributes to these goals then it should be embraced.

IT departments in education need to create a much better relationship with end users and that is what the newspaper article alluded to.

If a user has a mobile phone or 3G tablet with a signal, then we literally have no control over what that user does with that device (other than to ban the use comletely).

So the policy needs to all about acceptable behaviour by staff and student whilst on the premises no matter what device they use.

What services you provide to a device will be dictated by compliance with legislation and existing ICT policies. From the outset it would seem sensible to provide a list of tested (and therefore supported platforms). Any other device support would be on a best effort / time availability basis.

So if that means using a vendor that offers multiplatform support whilst maintaining security and compliance delivering your resources to BYOD, well so be it.

Go to the senior management team and tell them the cost. It is up to them to decide if the implementation cost outweighs the benefits.

It is our job to select the most appropriate system and make it work.

Thank Post
    You may want to throw this in the mix, Bring your own device (BYOD) - Data Protection Guidance for Organisations - ICO
    Everyone has their own ideas but clearly our "blame" culture is the driving force behind always having someone to blame when something goes wrong even if the conduit is wholly in the hand of the device owner.

This is the ICO take on the matter.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We've not yet reached the 'allowing people to bring their own devices in' stage yet at our school, they are still told 'no'. However, I do feel I can offer a tidbit of guidance on this.

You are asking for an iPad policy - this makes me think the devices are being thought of in isolation rather than in conjunction with the rest of the school. Instead of focussing on the type of device, create a general 'acceptable behaviour policy', which encompasses both general behaviour and ICT behaviour. Isolating ICT from everything else is just a perpetuation of the idea that ICT is in some way special or different from everything else in school, which it isn't. It leads to people being banned from using a computer etc... Which is pointless. If a child misbehaves with a paintbrush in art, they end up following the school behaviour policies, why then should misbehaviour with an iPad be different?

Include the behaviour you expect from people in your general behaviour policy.

12. Thanks to localzuk from:

SYNACK (30th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Great post to a useful link.

Just also want to mention that if a member of staff has a work issued I-pad that can download paid for content, then this can have tax implications for the user and the employer.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread