+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, RM CC4 Server 2003R2 and Server 2008R2 in Technical; I have a RM CC4 Server 2003R2 network. I was told by RM this time last year that i cannot ...

Thank Post

RM CC4 Server 2003R2 and Server 2008R2

I have a RM CC4 Server 2003R2 network. I was told by RM this time last year that i cannot add a vanilla Windows server 2008R2 to my network which at the time wasnt a major issue. I now really need to add this server so i can install exchange 2013. Can anyone tell me is this possible without all the RM components on my DC's throwing a fit? I have CC4 UPD110 installed which i believe is the update which allows for 20082.
    Thanks

Thank Post
    There is no reason why you can't have a vanilla 2008 R2 server on your domain with CC4.2 (2003 R2) domain controllers. I did exactly that for our SIMS server, application server and web server.

CC4 update 110 allows 2008 R2 servers to be made 'CC4 member servers' with all the CC4 components and allows them to be managed through the RMMC.

Hope this helps.

Thank Post
    I have 8 vanilla servers on my network. Only the 3 2003R2 DCs are actually running CC4.2

The others are just domain members, which I have added them to a different OU in the AD, allowing some form of central managing via GPO.

I now have 2008R2 and 2012 running on the system - albeit without RM support for the vanilla machines.

It also helps as you don't need to buy CC4 Additional Server licenses because they're not running CC4

4. Thanks to RowlandoGloom from:

kai91 (5th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Hi Chris

I just read your post about adding 2008 R2 servers to CC4 as members servers, how have you done this? Did you smart client them, I have tried to smart client the server but the smart client process failed, is there any steps I need to do to get a server to smart client?

We currently have CC4 running on a 2003 first server and a 2008 R2 secondary server with a 2008 R2 CC4 Anywhere server, I want an additional members severs to act as our print sever so I can run Paper Cut MF.

Cheers, Andy

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Not that I know anything about CC4 but isn't smartclient something you just do to... well... clients?

With CC3 at least, if you wanted a server to be a member of the domain then you just joined the domain with it in the conventional Microsoft manner and that was it, job done. As it wasn't hosting any RM components it didn't need any special RM stuff doing to it. I'd be shocked if that wasn't still the case, that would be a serious step backwards in functionality.
    Last edited by Roberto; 13th May 2013 at 08:55 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 781 Posts
    Got 4 VM windows 2008R2 servers on our CC4.2 one is our Sims server, no problem at all just build your server using your network naming convention and using a static IP, then use the Microsoft way of joining the machine to your network, simple.

We also have Linux servers as part of the domain also.

Enjoy

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    Got 4 VM windows 2008R2 servers on our CC4.2 one is our Sims server, no problem at all just build your server using your network naming convention and using a static IP, then use the Microsoft way of joining the machine to your network, simple.

We also have Linux servers as part of the domain also.

Enjoy
    Didn't you upgrade recently to CC4? Or was it before 2008 was available for your FRDC?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 781 Posts
    It was before 2008R2 was available, been on windows 7 for nearly 2.5 years now just designing our new windows 9 client structure with 2012 server platform.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    Not that I know anything about CC4 but isn't smartclient something you just do to... well... clients?

With CC3 at least, if you wanted a server to be a member of the domain then you just joined the domain with it in the conventional Microsoft manner and that was it, job done. As it wasn't hosting any RM components it didn't need any special RM stuff doing to it. I'd be shocked if that wasn't still the case, that would be a serious step backwards in functionality.
    I have added the server to the domain in the normal way and it shows in AD, what I need is the server to show in the RM management console. As the server will be the print server I will need the server in the management console so I can deploy it's printers.

Cheers, Andy

Thank Post
    In the olden days of CC3, all you needed to do was set the print queues to be listed in the AD, and it then appeared in the RMMC.
    You won't get any printer credits or other RM monitoring goodies since you would need a CC4 server license, but you should still be able to see it and deploy via the console unlike as Roberto said previously it's gone backwards.

I'm sure that it should just work though

12. Thanks to Boredguy from:

andymacfarlane (15th May 2013)

Thank Post
    All you need to deploy a printer is the printer shared and listed in AD. I've got printers connected via USB to individual pcs shared in this way, with printer credits (you just deploy the printer credits framework package if you want printer credits operating on that workstation).

It's the same method as CC3, list in AD means it shows up in RMMC

14. Thanks to nickbro from:

andymacfarlane (15th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nickbro View Post
    All you need to deploy a printer is the printer shared and listed in AD. I've got printers connected via USB to individual pcs shared in this way, with printer credits (you just deploy the printer credits framework package if you want printer credits operating on that workstation).

It's the same method as CC3, list in AD means it shows up in RMMC
    Hi Nick,

Thanks everyone for your advice. I am not sure why the server wouldn't smart client I have rebuilt in and manually added it to the domain now.

Cheers, Andy

Thank Post
    Smart Client is purely for workstations to add them to the CC4 domain with the additional software.

For servers you just add them as normal

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread