+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Screen surveillance on students private laptops with a clientless tool/service in Technical; Hello, because more and more students are bringing their private laptops to lessons and courses in our university, teachers want ...

Thank Post

Screen surveillance on students private laptops with a clientless tool/service

Hello,

because more and more students are bringing their private laptops to lessons and courses in our university, teachers want to let them use their laptops during exams as well. Partly because they want the students to have access to the same set of tools they have during the lessons and projects and partly to limit the dependence on computer classrooms.

Private laptops are off course difficult to monitor by the teacher: students can bring their own internet with their cell phone (and they need internet access anyway to access the excercises) and because laptops have small screens it is even difficult to have a quick glance at the screen to check if they are chatting or sharing files (or just to give students the impression that they are checking it...)
    Just having a mosaic on their screen up front which gives them a quick overview of all the screens would be a big help: it would be easy to spot suspicious activity.

I know that some vendors of classroom surveillance software also offer clients to install on students laptops. However, because of the large number of students and the technical difficulties arising with using installed clients (not to mention the fears for privacy by installing a remote surveillance tool) I would like a solution which is less invasive.

Would there exist a solution which works like teamviewer, but offers the surveilling person a mosaic overview of up to 20-30 screens with the option to enlarge a screen? I give the example of teamviewer because it does not need the remotely controlled/viewed person to install a client and because the protocol just works.
    It doesn't necessarily have to allow remote control, just remote viewing. It needs to be clientless and needs to use a robust protocol so there are no problems with firewalls.
    It should also be able to monitor mac laptops.
    It should also have a licensing model which just charges for concurrent sessions and not on a per-user basis as we have a lot of students which might just use it a couple of times over years. Even better, it might be free...

Would anything like that exist?
    Thank you!

Thank Post
    Sounds like a program that could easily be open to privacy abuse. I certainly wouldn't allow anyone to install such software on any of my devices.

Thank Post
    Which is why I want a solution without a client and which requires the student to actively accept the connection with the teacher (for instance by entering a pin code on a website) :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ben604 View Post
    Sounds like a program that could easily be open to privacy abuse. I certainly wouldn't allow anyone to install such software on any of my devices.
    This isn't really our business to be honest. It for the school to decide. We are just here to provide a solution.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread