+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Governor requesting Head has ability to get reports on user activity, file access etc in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Governor requesting Head has ability to get reports on user activity, file access etc

Hi

I have an "e-safety governor" (mmm!) asking me if there’s any provision for the Head to be able to pull user activity/file access etc reports from the server(s) for analysis. There’s nothing built-in to Windows Server that will package this information up nicely without purchasing some third party software reporting package, that I can see. And or using a SonicWall type network device to monitor everything. Papercut for example, for complex print activity reports.

Are any of you aware of anything, preferable free, that may produce some end-user friendly reports?

thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    For login tracking its easy enough to setup using Webman's login tracker - works well

Craig A Rodway

Apart from that no - I previously setup access to an Assistant head but it was Ad-hoc when they actually used it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,976 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can enable auditing on whatever you want tracked, file-wise, but it generates *massive* amounts of data. You can also track logins via the security logs on the AD server, so technically, you can do what you want on the server. However, due to the volume of data, you're going to get hardly any history at all - ie. the logs will fill in a day or so, then overwrite themselves.

You'd be better getting Impero IMO. Yes, it costs, but it does exactly what you want, and packages it up in a nice pretty bow.
    Last edited by localzuk; 15th January 2013 at 09:24 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,697 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by divadiow View Post
    Hi

I have an "e-safety governor" (mmm!) ...

thanks
    There's nothing wrong with Governors having ownership of eSafety. Some of us are extremely well qualified to do the job! Funnily enough I have IT in my portfolio too.

As governors it our job to challenge the running of the school. In this case the governor is challenging whether the Ht has access to the information that he/she would need in the event of a Safeguarding problem. I would query if the HT needs direct access to this information, or whether the they need the information to be readily available should it be necessary.

It is not the HT's role to be regularly monitoring this stuff... that job is definitely one that should be delegated. However there are times when the HT, as Designated CPO, may need access to more detail FAST. It is right that the governors are challenging whether the information necessary is available.

There is nothing builtin to Server 2008 that will produce this information for you.

PS another vote for Impero here.

Thank Post
    thanks all, will look into the Impero and Webmans...

Thank Post
    We have user activity exported to a logserver from AD, but the file-based modifications are only logged on sensitive areas (Say Personnel) and system files (for detecting system compromises). We use OSSEC (ossec.net) for that.

Can the head get these directly? No.
    Can I quickly pull them off after getting Name, Date(s) and indicated level of seriousness in a written* request (email is fine)? Yes.
    Can we manually pull file-based modifications that strongly indicate whose account did what? Yes

*audit trail.
    Last edited by pete; 15th January 2013 at 09:35 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread