+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Granting Permission: Task Mgr, Admin rights for install in Technical; Hi - I just started at a new school with a newly appointed ICT co-ordinator...talk about blind leading the blind..anyhow. ...

Thank Post

Granting Permission: Task Mgr, Admin rights for install

Hi - I just started at a new school with a newly appointed ICT co-ordinator...talk about blind leading the blind..anyhow.

A couple of very basic questions:
    1) From RM Management Console 2.204.0.0 how do you grant a user permission to run task manager (to kill off badly behaved software when it locks the machine up).

2) How do you install software on a particular users machine that requires admin rights to install? Obviously logging in as the staff user will not allow that but there's no point in logging in as the admin either. Do you temporarily change their permissions to Domain Admin level, install and then reset to Staff level?

I did say they would be really really basic questions.

cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Granting Permission: Task Mgr, Admin rights for install

well for question 2 you could use remote install via GPO if it is an MSI

Thank Post

1) To allow the user to run task manager on all computers, the RM way is to create a new usertype (aka user GPO) using Type Manager which is accessed under Configuration Settings>User types in RM management console. Copy an existing default type to create your custom one. Open the properties of your new user type, then uncheck Disable Task Manager in the General category. Then assign the new type to a user to test (in the user's properties).

To just allow access to task manager to one particular machine, you could make the user a privileged user of that computer, although it does give near local administrator rights on that computer.

2) To deploy software to multiple computers, you can use the rm application deployment mechanism. You can use RM application wizard to import MSIs, or repackage legacy EXE setups. You can then deploy software to computers under the workstations node in the management console.

To install a single piece of software on to one or two machines, you could logon as the setup user. Or if the end user needs to install software themself, you could make them a privileged user of that workstation, by opening the properties of that workstation in the management console.

CC3 manuals to be found here (you may need a login for RM support).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You can also build your own packages by writing your own ini file and using batch scripts. This will allow you to install thinks that are difficult to package.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts

Any piece of software that requires an end user to have admin rights is a no go-er in my book.
    I had a head of year in English who decided to go against the grain and purchase Quizdom because he thought (hehe) it was great as he had seen it working on the rep's laptop.
    When i rang their support the first thing they mentioned was that it would not network as it was a stand alone app and that the user needed admin rights to run it (won't go into too much detail but it requires quite a lot of registry keys to be altered and added).
    Having spoke to the then ICT co-ordinator i was informed by SLT that under no circumstances was i to give admin rights to anybody but myself which makes good sense.
    So to get around this i installed the app on his laptop which the school owns and he can run it to his hearts content and also link it in to his IWB.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread