+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Managing and configuring iPads in Technical; Have got classes full of students with unrestricted iPads for the first time and would really appreciate any advice on ...

Thank Post

Smile Managing and configuring iPads

Have got classes full of students with unrestricted iPads for the first time and would really appreciate any advice on this, obviously they have all got 20 games installed but limited educational apps!

Is there a tool anyone has successfully used (preferably open source) similar to Impero/Ranger etc. to manage these devices during lessons?

What is the best way to configure the iPads with a set/approved list of apps?

Thank Post
    Not sure it will do what you want but look at Meraki, it's free.

TT

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    Not sure it will do what you want but look at Meraki, it's free.

TT
    Seconding this, but depending on your internet provider you might need some ports opened.

Thank Post
    I'll look into this, my school has recently purchased 35 iPads for a class, which for now I've configured using the Apple Configurator. I'm looking into MDM solutions though so I can easily manage them whenever, Air-Watch and Lightspeed's MDM services might be worth a look? The thing with iPads is that they are good, however you just can't lock them down far enough, a reply from Air-watch pretty much told me Apple does not allow locking or hiding the settings app.

Edit: This Meraki MDM, does it have VPP integration too?
    Last edited by ReisenUInaba; 13th February 2013 at 03:04 PM.

Thank Post
    I'm starting to hear good things about My Big Campus, which includes device management in school and out. Haven't had a chance to check it out properly yet but worth a look.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ReisenUInaba View Post
    Edit: This Meraki MDM, does it have VPP integration too?
    It does, yes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tsonga View Post
    Seconding this, but depending on your internet provider you might need some ports opened.
    That could explain the problems I am having at the moment. What ports need to be opened?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by esafety-adviser View Post
    I'm starting to hear good things about My Big Campus, which includes device management in school and out. Haven't had a chance to check it out properly yet but worth a look.
    My Big Campus isnt specifically MDM, Lightspeed have an MDM product but it's seperate to MBC.

Have seen both and the MDM looks very nice, not actually used it though. MBC could be quite powerful going forward.

8. Thanks to RTFM from:

Eappariello (19th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Meraki is alright for smaller groups of iPads, AirWatch is great but does cost money.

Unless you are looking at stopping Students from installing anything, they'll always be able to install games though you can block their access to things like Games Center. If they are using the iPads at home and at school this is where you could start having a few problems.

(One thing you could do with AirWatch is to block access to certain apps during specific times or setup a compliance policy to send a message to the student if they have something installed\configured that they shouldn't. Ultimately though, this sort of thing is all about student responsibility and classroom management.)

Thank Post
    I think we all have to think a little differently when dealing with mobile devices like IPADS. They are very personal, are designed to be personal, and for that reason we have to think about the ongoing management of them in a different way.
    A MDM can help track, audit, and manage (to an extent, but perhaps not like desktop PC's) the devices, and also help deliver Apps, and content to them. With mobile devices, unlike desktops, you might never know where or who is using them, so the ongoing management aspects are more important.

There are certain IOS payloads that you can pushed out with a MDM to help however - you can disable the iTunes store, you can limit Apps and content such as TV, Movies etc by age rating, you can turn of Apps altogether, and you can lock a device to a single App (Guided App mode). Put this together with the Global proxy feature and point the devices at a compatible filter, and you can also control the web content and App usage from the internet.

Choose a MDM that lets you give this control to the teachers in the classroom, and you can at least deliver the Apps and content the educators want to use, and also let them enforce restrictions when needed.

Im sure there is a solution out there like that

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by bw99 View Post
    Have got classes full of students with unrestricted iPads for the first time and would really appreciate any advice on this, obviously they have all got 20 games installed but limited educational apps!

Is there a tool anyone has successfully used (preferably open source) similar to Impero/Ranger etc. to manage these devices during lessons?

What is the best way to configure the iPads with a set/approved list of apps?
    Last edited by Eappariello; 19th February 2013 at 10:06 AM.

Thank Post
    MDM works well with the Apple Volume Licensing Programme, apparently. I'm looking closely at it for when we move to classes of iPads.

Thank Post
    Indeed it does. And you get 50% off if you buy over 20 copies (so if you need more than 11 worth buying 20 ).

A VPP compatible MDM will redeem the VPP codes and push out the paid Apps for you, without having to pull all the devices back to plug into Configurator.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by WithoutMotive View Post
    MDM works well with the Apple Volume Licensing Programme, apparently. I'm looking closely at it for when we move to classes of iPads.

Thank Post
    Whats wrong with just using OS X Server; Profile Manager?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanios View Post
    Whats wrong with just using OS X Server; Profile Manager?
    How much can be locked down with this setup though?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread