+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, NSS 9 - tutor PCs need setup for every user that logs on. in Technical; Afternoon peeps, Just had staff come back after the summer break, when they went to use the newly installed NSS9 ...

Thank Post

NSS 9 - tutor PCs need setup for every user that logs on.

Afternoon peeps,

Just had staff come back after the summer break, when they went to use the newly installed NSS9 on the tutor PCs I've noticed that I'm having to set it up from scratch for each teacher that uses it.

Is this on purpose? and is there a way of having it work the same for all users on the computer?

At the moment I have to setup all the configuration settings as if it was a brand new install. It's ok doing this a few times, but there could be 30 staff using it on any of our 3 tutor Pcs 8O

Thank Post

Re: NSS 9 - tutor PCs need setup for every user that logs on

I have had a similar problem with other programs. The way I have fixed a few others is to install Wininstall LE. Before the program is setup for a new user, I run discover. I then setup the program for the user, then run Wininstall discover again.

If you go into the package folder (program files>ondemand>packages), you can then track all the changes that were made to the system. If the reg keys are in "current user," you could write a logon script to write these keys to the registry, during the login process.
    If files changed in Documents and Settings, you could either copy the files to the default profile on the domain (not ideal, but gets the job done) or write another script to copy these files during login.

Hope this helps, at least a little.

Thank Post

Re: NSS 9 - tutor PCs need setup for every user that logs on.

Ah used that before, cheers might have a look at it. Seems very stupid for it to be setup like this, pretty sure version 8 wasn't :-(

Thank Post

Re: NSS 9 - tutor PCs need setup for every user that logs on

Halfman,

You can create a 'default' configuration that all new users will inherit when they login. Do this by copying settings from the "HKCU\Software\NetSupport Ltd\PCICTL\ConfigList\NetSupport School" key to the "HKLM\Software\NetSupport Ltd\PCICTL\ConfigList\NetSupport School" registry key

Doing this means that when a new teacher logs in NSS will determine that they have no profile and will copy settings from HKLM first. Once they have copied the settings they refer to their own key and not the HKLM one.

In version 9 we had to change it so that NSS no longer saved its settings in HKLM but rather used HKCU. This was a result of Vista. On Vista your application can't write to HKLM or write to

( HKLM = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE & HKCU = HKEY_CURRENT_USER)

However, the downside of this approach is that if you want to make a configuration change for all users on a PC you have to do it in all profiles. If you think you will need to do this then using AD Templates might be better.

Rob

Thank Post

Re: NSS 9 - tutor PCs need setup for every user that logs on.

Cheers RD, if nothing else it'll save me a bit of fiddling and setting up as I can just run the reg file on the computer for each user.

Time saver if nothing else!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread