+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Cable Economisers - Not working in Technical; I recently purchased a few network cable economisers ( http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/Computer+...questid=551680 ). I planned to use them to allow 2 workstations ...

Thank Post

Cable Economisers - Not working

I recently purchased a few network cable economisers (http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/Computer+...questid=551680).

I planned to use them to allow 2 workstations to connect using the same network point (obviously different IP addresses). However, I have found only 1 port of the splitter works, the other (same one consistently throughout the three ordered) doesn't allow network connection.

Did I purchase the wrong economiser? I can't see why a certain port doesn't work!

Thank Post

Re: Cable Economisers - Not working

Stupid question probably, but it rang alarm bells when u said you had ordered 3 - You do know that you have to have one of these splitters at both ends right? so 2 pc's plug into 1 splitter, then that splitter is plugged into the socket on the wall - then, another splitter is plugged into the associated socket on the patch panel, and then 2 connection into the switch come out of the other side of this 2nd splitter. that way each pc has it's own switch port.

did that make sense? I apologise if that was pitched to low

HTH

Adam

Thank Post

Are you using one at either end of the stretch of cable? If not, you need to!

Thank Post

Oops didn't realise that

I'm a little confused here - I understand the 2 workstations into 1 network point side but what happens at the server switch?

I basically want to extend the number of network points in a room - so how does that work back at the server switch? From my understanding I need to have 2 network cables plugged into the splitter at the server?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

This any good?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post

nice pic! good man, that's what i was trying to explain. Bascially the splitter only really helps you if you can't have any more cable runs going to a location. It allows 2 network connections to share one network cable.

it DOES NOT however, give you any extra capacity. i.e. if you're switch has 2 ports left, you can't use a splitter to give you 4 ports. What you need in those cases is:

a) a bigger/additional switch in the same location as the current switch or

shudder...

b)a small (8 port of so) switch plugged into the network point in the classroom where you need the extra point. The problem with this solution is that you'll have 8 (or so) devices all sharing 1 100mb link back to the switch - that's what we call a bottle neck - v bad network design.

HTH

Thank Post

Thanks for all your help everyone.

I bought 3 splitters as I didn't realise you needed 1 at each end - do'h! Anyway got 1 pair set up & it's now fully working.

Finished updating that lab just in time for the weekend! 1 more week of work then 2 week holiday!

Have a good weekend everyone, cheers again.

Thank Post
    Sorry to revive an old thread.

I have two networks that I want to keep separate.

One, a mixture of cabled and WIFI is in my office (router, PCs, network printer, IP camera, and a NAS device), and other separate (wired) network links my cash registers and a PC in my office.

I want to add a wireless access point, that connects to my office router, in a room where one of the cash registers is.

Rather than running another cable can I use these economisers to utilise one the existing cables of the cash register network that already runs to exactly where I would have to run a second cable?

Basically I plan to have my router plugged into one port of the economiser, and the existing patch cable (that is part of the cash register network) into the other. At the other end of the cable run, a wireless access point, and the existing patch cable that plugs into one of my cash registers.

I then plan to install an ip camera, into the room with the cash register, that connects to the access point and ultimately my router in the office, so that I can view the camera online and record it via the NAS devise. I was also hoping that the access point could be used for WIFI

Does this sound valid?

Cheers!
    Can they be used in this way??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nomidics View Post
    Sorry to revive an old thread.

I have two networks that I want to keep separate.

One, a mixture of cabled and WIFI is in my office (router, PCs, network printer, IP camera, and a NAS device), and other separate (wired) network links my cash registers and a PC in my office.

I want to add a wireless access point, that connects to my office router, in a room where one of the cash registers is.

Rather than running another cable can I use these economisers to utilise one the existing cables of the cash register network that already runs to exactly where I would have to run a second cable?

Basically I plan to have my router plugged into one port of the economiser, and the existing patch cable (that is part of the cash register network) into the other. At the other end of the cable run, a wireless access point, and the existing patch cable that plugs into one of my cash registers.

I then plan to install an ip camera, into the room with the cash register, that connects to the access point and ultimately my router in the office, so that I can view the camera online and record it via the NAS devise. I was also hoping that the access point could be used for WIFI

Does this sound valid?

Cheers!
    Can they be used in this way??

So you want to split 1 network socket to network socket into 2? Yes it is possible, as long as you dont want to run Gig as 100Mbps just needs 2 pairs. The cash register to PC will work without a issue (Assuming its 100Mbps). Whereas you want to connect a Wireless CCTV Camera to a Access Point in the same room? connecting back to your office? Again if it is not 1Gbps then you are ok.

It is bad practice to do it and I would only recommend it to be a working fix while you or someone else runs another cable.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread