+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Any way to lock machines unless a teacher is present in the room? in Technical; So, we all know what teachers and ICT equipment are like.... I want to have all of the student workstations ...

Thank Post

Any way to lock machines unless a teacher is present in the room?

So, we all know what teachers and ICT equipment are like....

I want to have all of the student workstations to be locked unless a teacher is logged in to the teacher machine in the room, that way even if they send students into the room without supervision the students wont be able to use the machines. I am going to couple that with some custom logon logging stuff and get a more complete solution and if needbe start charging departments. Any ideas?

We use Impero so an obvious solution is to force the teacher to login and use the Unlock button, but the trick there is to get the machines to lock automatically.

Thank Post
    i did have a program that locked a pc if i walked away from it used bluetooth to my phone so walked out of range and it locked my laptop

it might be possible to code something to enable disable computer accounts in ad when teacher logs on / off but it sounds a bit liable to bork thngs

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowx View Post
    So, we all know what teachers and ICT equipment are like....

I want to have all of the student workstations to be locked unless a teacher is logged in to the teacher machine in the room, that way even if they send students into the room without supervision the students wont be able to use the machines.
    You know what will happen. Unsupervised students will be given the teachers log on and told to log that account onto the teachers machine first.

Thank Post
    very crude but should work

on teachers pc as a login script (granted if a pupil logged in to that pc it would work but that can be blocked in ad)

copy "c:\windows\enable.txt" "\\server\roomx$\enable.txt" /y

logoff script

del "\\server\roomx$\enable.txt" /q

logon script on pcs in that room

if not exist "\\server\roomx$\enable.txt" shutdown /l

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Moving to Networks and Classroom management forum.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    You know what will happen. Unsupervised students will be given the teachers log on and told to log that account onto the teachers machine first.
    This. Unfortunately you've fallen into the "let's solve everything with technology" trap. If staff are not supposed to send pupils in unsupervised, that is people problem and is for SMT to deal with. Apparently it's why they get paid more than us, so make the buggers earn it.

Thank Post
    Other problem you will face is the student's reaction to not being able to logon...
    1. They will smash the room to bits in boredom or frustration or just because they're horrible
    2. They will use not being able to logon as an excuse for everything.

Better to just keep them out of the room if they're not going to be able to logon anyway!.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,350 Times in 928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    ...Better to just keep them out of the room if they're not going to be able to logon anyway!.
    Agreed. However we have put measures in place to prevent access to a particular room that has been trashed here [putting things back in order during the half term break]

Measures include:

Changing the lock.
    Combination keypad.
    Check the room to make sure it is locked in the morning, at break and at lunch but somehow they still get in unsupervised?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    This. Unfortunately you've fallen into the "let's solve everything with technology" trap. If staff are not supposed to send pupils in unsupervised, that is people problem and is for SMT to deal with. Apparently it's why they get paid more than us, so make the buggers earn it.
    I totally agree.

My solution would be a lock on the door.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm confused, what's wrong with keeping the room locked and holding the teachers who use it responsible for when it's left unlocked? If you have issues with damage/vandalism fit CCTV, it'll probably pay for itself within a term.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Measures include:

Changing the lock.
    Combination keypad.
    We change combination lock codes every half term. Kids know the new code by the end of the week...

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    I totally agree.

My solution would be a lock on the door.
    Doesn't work either kids learn the code (see above) or staff complain about having to walk to reception for the key.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    If you have issues with damage/vandalism fit CCTV, it'll probably pay for itself within a term.
    Mmmm, getting SMT to agree to this can be fun. They don't want to be accused of spying on teachers during lessons...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you can't trust your users you have no choice but to monitor them. CCTV the room and hand out detentions for kids getting in without a teacher. You can back up the CCTV footage with login session history too. Double bonus detentions for the kids who figure this out and log in as their friends.

Thank Post
    I'm confused, what's wrong with keeping the room locked and holding the teachers who use it responsible for when it's left unlocked? If you have issues with damage/vandalism fit CCTV, it'll probably pay for itself within a term.
    A lot of you touched on the same "solution" which is to keep the room locked and make staff responsible, I say "solution" because we all know that in the real world it doesnt work. As it stands we have the keys to the ICT rooms and we are in one corridor with 3 out of the 4 IT rooms and then our office (The other IT room is on the other side of the building, but I digress) so staff usually send a kid to get the key, which we challenge and then ask them if the teacher is present and what not. Anyhoo.. The problem is that one of the IT rooms is largely un-timetabled so it gets booked out using the room booking system (Perhaps we should thoroughly enforce it... at the moment if it's free then any old teacher can just get the key, maybe we force them to go away and book it first, hmm..) the end result is that we don't always know who is in there, we also dont know for a fact that the teacher has actually turned up, or indeed that the teacher hasn't buggered off and left a handful of "good students" in the room alone to finish coursework.

And the other massive issue, as we all know, is getting staff to report problems immediately. I have just finished making a graphical room map based fault logging system and a nice little shortcut on their desktop for it and I will send an email around to tell them what to do but at the end of the day we all know it won't happen.

I'm past the actual giving a monkey's stage, I don't really care other than it really annoys me when staff moan all day about something not working when it's THEIR fault in the first place! I need to teach them responsibility!

I like the simple logon script idea that checks for the existence of a file... I would need to make a few tweaks so that the file becomes invalid after X amount of time and then have it so that when the students try to login it simply logs them off again rather than restarting but it's a great idea!

As for teachers giving out their passwords that's not my problem! If a teacher gives out their password I will simply disable their account on the AD and refuse to enable it until management tell me to (which means the teacher has to admit their stupidity to management).

I don't really think any of this will solve the issue as such, it will help and at the end of the day give me a legitimate reason to shrug my shoulders and ignore the complaints.

I've already made a system to capture logins which is pretty useful (And it also captures double logins or suspicious logins and flags them up which is handy ) and CCTV monitors the corridor outside. The problem is, staff don't see it as cause and effect, they see it that the next teacher will sort the problem out and then next time they use the room magically everything is working again.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think you need to document when and how this room has 'issues'. I suggest you physically inspect it at lunch, breaks, after school, etc. You can maybe determine a pattern and start pointing fingers or if you are not comfortable with that then you have a large wedge of evidence to fall back on if the SMT come knocking wondering why half the IT maintainence budget disappeared fixing up one room repeatedly.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,350 Times in 928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think you need to document when and how this room has 'issues'. I suggest you physically inspect it at lunch, breaks, after school, etc...
    We have done this in the past and we are doing it again now.

...SMT come knocking wondering why half the IT maintainence budget disappeared fixing up one room repeatedly.
    Been there already too. Nothing changes.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast