+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Any way to lock machines unless a teacher is present in the room? in Technical; I've already made a system to capture logins which is pretty useful (And it also captures double logins or suspicious ...
    Thank Post
    I've already made a system to capture logins which is pretty useful (And it also captures double logins or suspicious logins and flags them up which is handy )
    @shadowx

Not to hijack your thread, but would you mind sharing this. I currently have a logon and log off script that write date/time username ip address mac address and computer name to a file. It does not flag anything and is pretty basic.
    I would like to look at your solution.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Certainly, when I say it "flags them up" it's basically a feature of the search, I use login/out scripts that insert an IN and an OUT type record into MySql, the PHP page I use for searching then has an option to show "incomplete logins" this basically shows up all IN records that don't have an associated OUT record Eg a student logged in twice before he logged out, thus meaning he logged on to two different machines at the same time OR that the student is still actively logged in which means when they come up and say "it says I can't get on the internet" I can check if they are logged in elsewhere.

I will go through my code, make sure there's nothing identifiable in there and attach it to this thread, I am a firm believer in Open Source

Thank Post
    As promised I have attached the files in a ZIP file.

The login.out VBSscript is:
    Code:
    Dim info
    Dim connection

Set info = CreateObject("Wscript.Network")
    computer = info.ComputerName
    user = info.UserName

Set connection = CreateObject("MSXML2.XMLHTTP")
    connection.open "GET", "http://prologue.intranet/logit.php?pc="&computer&"&user="&user&"&type=login", FALSE
    connection.send
    Just change the second to last line from "type=login" to "type=logout"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Obligatory Disclaimer:
    I accept literally zero responsibility for that ZIP file or what you do with it or what happens to stuff when you use it. From the moment you start the download the ZIP file becomes your responsibility. I don't foresee anything bad coming of it but if something does happen then it's your responsibility!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyhoo.. It's a pretty simple system, you put the login/out scripts into a GPO, they will need to be modified to point at your own server of course. They then call up a PHP page silently and pass GET variables to the PHP. The PHP checks the values for dodgy stuff and puts them into a database. If an IN record exists for that username and computer conbination then it adds an OUT record and considers that login "complete", if it doesnt find an associated IN record then it just creates another IN record.

This then leaves you with something like:
    User2 -- PC14 -- 23rd Oct -- OUT -- Complete | ##
    _____________________________________ |

** These records show a double login, the same username logged into two machines without logging out. It could be that the user forced the pc to shutdown with the power button or that they shared their login with someone else
    ## These records show a completed login, an IN and an OUT record exist for the same user on the same machine. So for simplicity we assume it is a complete login-logout

The code is supplied as-is and isn't publication quality so it can easily be improved and it's also written in my own "unique" style It's published under the license that you can do what you want with it except profit from it so feel free to edit it, pass it on etc... just dont make a profit (If you do then we would have to talk about sharing the riches!) And like I said, I accept no responsibility for the ZIP file, it's contents, it's use or what happens from it's use.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowx View Post
    The problem is, staff don't see it as cause and effect, they see it that the next teacher will sort the problem out and then next time they use the room magically everything is working again.
    ^^^^^^

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 866 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I remembered this evening creating this thread a while ago: Link: Lock Your Laptop Automatically When You Leave It

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12