+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, IPv4 addresses running out in Technical; Interesting article on address limit being near it's ceiling BBC News - Europe hits old internet address limits I don't ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

IPv4 addresses running out

Interesting article on address limit being near it's ceiling BBC News - Europe hits old internet address limits

I don't have an in depth understanding of IP addresses - how is this likely to effect schools. Our Network is currently completely on IPv4.

Thank Post
    It will not affect your internal network as the scope is on a private range either the 10. or 192 range. What it will do is affect the number of people that can connect the the isp's. This is why modern equipment is ip6 compatable. The only problem is that ip6 needs all the right switches etc to work and this is expensive to repair.

Have a read on google and this might help Moving to IPv6: Now for the hard part (FAQ) | Deep Tech - CNET News

Richard

3. Thanks to ricki from:

speckytecky (16th September 2012)

Thank Post
    You can use IPV6 on your internal network if you like, and anyone thinking of a career in routing and especialy internet service provision would be well advised to learn all about IPV6

It's been coming for a long time, NAT was invented to increase the lifespan of V4 and it has certainly done it's job.

Some authorities have run out of addresses already, many ISP's are actively trying to recover disused ranges just to make sure they can service clients who DO need them.

There are some companies and individuals who got allocations right at the start when there was no fear of running out, and they got HUGE ranges by modern standards.

Why they have not allocated the Class E range is a mystery to me, I guess there may be some good reason?

Rob

5. Thanks to twin--turbo from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post

Why they have not allocated the Class E range is a mystery to me, I guess there may be some good reason?

Rob
    I understood it that class D and E ranges were never spec'd to be used on the normal internet, reserved for pumping out multicast, and as such not all networking kit can handle that.
    Last edited by Quackers; 16th September 2012 at 09:01 AM.

7. Thanks to Quackers from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    In simple terms, IPv4 supports up to 4.3 billion public addresses, whereas IPv6 supports up to 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,45 6 addresses. I kid you not

The current world population is approx. 7 billion, so IPv4 doesn't give every person on the planet 1 IP. As already mentioned, NAT has done a great job helping the situation but with growing countries such as China and India in the digital world, more IP addresses will be needed.

IPv6 will mostly be used for home/business internet connections or web server connections. The only problem with IPv6 is that you need to remember longer strings of numbers, so in a school business/environment it may become more difficult (if you Remote Desktop using the server IP vs server name for example) - although it'll put more of a need on DNS more than ever to resolve IPs to websites or server names.

9. Thanks to Michael from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,730 Times in 2,309 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We are just in the process of replacing our core, the one bit that did not support IPv6,, now its just a case of wailing for our lapse ISPs to get with 2000 let alone 2012 to actually support modern tech.

Thank Post
    Class D is "Multi cast"
    Class E is "For Future or Experimental use" I think we are in the future and need to experiment!

Rob

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    https://submissions.epetitions.direc...etitions/38744

The DWP should sell its block of 16777216 IP addresses

Responsible department: Department for Work and Pensions

The world has run out of IPv4 addresses, making connection of new people and computers to the Internet a chore - and making existing addresses extremely valuable.

It has recently come to light that the Department for Work and Pensions has its own allocated block of 16,777,216 addresses (commonly referred to as a /8), covering 51.0.0.0 to 51.255.255.255. The estimated market value of this block of addresses is between $0.5 and $1.5 billion.

Analysis shows that the DWP is not using any of these addresses in public. If they are being used for internal, private networks then this is a phenomenal waste of public funds - the block 10.0.0.0/8 is specifically earmarked for use on internal private networks, and using the globally routed 51.0.0.0/8 internally is madness.

£1 billion of low-effort extra cash would be a very nice thing to throw at our deficit.

http://blog.jgc.org/2012/09/the-uk-h...-8-that-is.htm

Thank Post
    Not only a waste but a security flaw in the waiting.

Rob

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread