+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Internal Radio Streaming & YOUR network! in Technical; So we had a fun week at the start of term here at the High School I work at. We ...

Thank Post

Internal Radio Streaming & YOUR network!

So we had a fun week at the start of term here at the High School I work at. We setup a radio station streaming out over Nicecast, broadcast to about 30 class rooms.

We had live interviews with staff members, games, jokes, and hilarity generally ensued.

We achieved this quite simply - gave the Mac we were using a static IP address on the network, generated an M3U file which would open the stream. That M3U was then emailed to all staff. M3U files are associated with VLC on our network which picked up the stream and played it nicely (wish I could say the same about windows media player!).

Now... Here's where the can of worms gets opened. Our head teacher loved it so much she now wants us to do a similar sort of thing in middle schools in order to promote ourselves in the borough.

So, my question to you admins out there.....

- How does a couple of chaps from another institution plugging into your network and broadcasting a stream fit with your security policy?
    - Do you all typically use VLC on your teacher machines?
    - Do you all typically have speakers attached to your machines?
    - Can you spot any issues we may have in trying to achieve this?

Input greatly appreciated.

Paul

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Should not be a problem if its internal so long as there are no additional firewalls in the way. I'd be tempted to use WMP Encoder or Expression Encoder to make nicer streams that would work with WMP nicely as well as the others. I'm not in the UK but we don't have VLC sitewide, no MSI and for the most part WMP in Windows 7 does everything nicely anyway.

Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 Pro | H.264 Encoding | VC-1 Codec | Streaming Silverlight Video | IIS Smooth Streaming | Real Time Encoder | Microsoft® Expression®
    Download: Windows Media Encoder 9 Series - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

Edit: As below, talk to the tech staff at the schools aswell, they may be able to help and will know the best way to do it on their network inside their restrictions/setup.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 14th September 2012 at 12:20 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,981 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beauchampion View Post
    - How does a couple of chaps from another institution plugging into your network and broadcasting a stream fit with your security policy?
    Personally, as long as I got something along the lines of:

We, at $place, would like you to connect to $IP/$website using $file, for $duration, at $time for $reason.

AND I could check to make sure it's legit.

I wouldn't have a problem with it.

But, I may make a special, super restricted account for staff/students to use... just to be on the safe side.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread