+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, NetSupport/Ranger Remote Control Connections in Technical; Hi, does anyone have a solution to this: Teachers have their own laptop which moves from classroom to classroom. I ...

Thank Post

NetSupport/Ranger Remote Control Connections

Hi, does anyone have a solution to this:

Teachers have their own laptop which moves from classroom to classroom. I want to configure the Tutor program on their laptop to automatically connect to only the computers in the room they are in at that time.

I don't want to use the 'Join Class' option as it just won't work with the students at this site

I also don't want to see any other computers in their view other than the ones in the room they are in.

The only solution i have come up with so far is to name the computer in each room to include their location (IE RM12-01 , RM12-02 or RM05-01 , RM05-02 etc) and then they use the 'connect to students starting with...' which the teacher modifies before they start.

Can anyone think of (or use) a better solution?

Thank Post

Re: NetSupport/Ranger Remote Control Connections

You've got a couple of options here - Profiles and Class Lists

Profiles: As you have pointed out you can use the configuration to connect to machines starting with RM12*, RM05* etc quite easily. To make it easy to use you can then create profiles for each room, one of the options in the profile determines which machines are connected to. When the Tutor starts you are presented with a list of profiles. The teacher chooses the one matching the room they are in and it knows which PC's to connect to.

Class Lists: As an alternative to full blown profiles you can create a number of class lists. These just create different client list files that can be switched between on the fly.

The big difference between the two is that the Profile stores all of the Tutor settings separatly. So for example the list of approved/restricted applications and internet sites would be different for each profile. This may be desirable if for example you are teaching different subjects in the different rooms. If in room 12 they teach maths then the approved internet sites would be maths related, if in room 5 they teach history then they would be history related.

If they are teaching a range of subjects in each room then you could still profile it and make use of specific internet/application lists by having multiple profiles for each room RM12-MATHS, RM12-HISTORY, RM05-PHYSICS, RM05-MATHS for example.

Either of these options can also work in confunction with the new Name and Connectivity server, this is more relevant when the students are roaming with laptops rather than the teacher but it may be something to bear in mind for the future.

HTH

Rob @ NetSupport

Thank Post

Re: NetSupport/Ranger Remote Control Connections

Excellent reply Rob, class lists will do just the ticket! Sorry, i thought they contained application/web lists only. Learn something new every day eh?

Say hello to Neil for me.

Thanks again for the reply.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread