+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Ranger remote control - wirelessly in Technical; We use Ranger Remote Control it will not connect to any clients(wired desktop machines) when using a wireless laptop, however ...

Thank Post

Ranger remote control - wirelessly

We use Ranger Remote Control it will not connect to any clients(wired desktop machines) when using a wireless laptop, however when I connect the laptop to the wired network it works fine.

Equipment:

Cisco wireless LAN controlller 4404.
    Laptops use win 7 and XP pro.
    Server 2008 R2

Can any body help?

regards
    Alec

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is the wireless lan also detected as the domain profile, are there any additional access lists in effect on the WLAN/router interface that it could be getting in the way. Have you checked the documentation/a packet dump to see what protocols are in use, it could be using something stupid like non-directed broadcasts or even directed broadcasts which are prevented by the router. Is the managment unit over wireless too, wireless client isolation could be choking it out to if both are on wireless.

Thank Post
    Depending on how you are connecting to the student machines it will be sending out a UDP broadcast asking for all machines to respond. If you're not getting anything back then this could be being blocked by your router.

It does this in 'browse' mode and 'room' mode, if you are connecting to a known list of computers then once they have been added they are connected to directly (either by IP or host name). You could test this by switching to known list mode when in wired mode (School->Configure->Student Selection) and then see if it connects Ok in wireless.

Rob

Thank Post
    Hi

Thanks for the response. I have ran a wireshark trace and the wireless laptop is sending out a request to netsupport (5405) on one of the client machines, but is not getting a ACK TCP packet) back from the client machine.

I have also tested by picking up clients with the known list ticked option I then removed the cable and did a refresh in the RRC console and immediately disconnected the clients.

Thank Post
    Hi rdhawkins

It appears that you are right, if I connect to the clients with the cable connected and then remove cable and connect using wireless they do pick up the machines. So this means that if I want to pick up any clients I need to ensure that I have the known list of computers ticked connect using wired and the I can pick the same machines up wirelessy?

Is this how RRC (netsupport) is supposed to work?

Thank Post
    award,

No it should be able to locate the clients when your laptop is wireless. The known list method that works suggests there is a configuration issue with your access point. When in 'browse' or 'room' mode the Tutor will send out a number of UDP broadcast packets across the network asking available clients to respond with their name, address, configured room etc. It then determines who it needs to connect to and connects to them. It also has to browse to initially build up the known list which is why I had you do that when wired.

By the sounds of it the packets aren't getting through so the Tutor doesn't find any clients. You might like to contact our support team if you're still having issues.

Rob

Thank Post
    Hi Rob,

Thanks very much for your advice. I understand what is happening or not happening being the case. I can at least build up the known list now and will connect to the clients that are in the list wirelessly. I think it is the Cisco wireless controller which is stopping the UDP packets getting through, this is what I'm investigating now.

Cheers
    Alec

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread