+ Post New Thread
Netware Thread, Netware/Novell Integration to Windows in Technical; Hi All, I am a NM currently planning a network overhaul, to include infratsructure, servers etc. I am planning to ...
    Thank Post

Netware/Novell Integration to Windows

Hi All,

I am a NM currently planning a network overhaul, to include infratsructure, servers etc. I am planning to migrate from Novell/Netware to Windows.

would like to know of anybody elses experiences of this, things to look out for, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank Post
    I'm planning to do this in the not too distant future (subject to budget approval of course!) so I'd be very interested too if anyone has any warnings!

How tricky can it be though?

Thank Post
    The servers themselves should give few problems.

It'll be the little extras you may need to put more time into - such as patching policies for new windows servers and moving from one directory service to another as well as printers. If you're using ZenWorks - that'll be the headache!

Plan well in advance and test it again and again and again....

If you're starting completely from scratch - good luck!

T

4. Thanks to evil-tom from:

dbsocs08 (10th November 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanks very much for that, wasn't quite sure what to expect. I suppose I am going to be starting from scratch, as I'm not planning on using ZenWorks afterwards, perhaps get the vanilla system in and then look around for network management software.
    Thanks for your help.

Thank Post
    When I converted our Admin network from Netware to Windows I found it a lot easier to create a new domain from scratch, copy all the users work over from the old server to the new one and then concentrate on network and software management. One thing that I did find that takes a bit of getting use to is the different types of permissions in Windows, oh and also download and install ABE ( Access Based Enumeration - From Microsoft ), which hides folders that users do not have permissions to.

Thank Post
    Hi there,

we done a Netware to Windows transition 2 years ago. Also we done Groupwise to Exchange. Although this was at my previous employer (all the notes and disks used etc are now in some underground vault) I hope this brief description of how we went about it may be useful in some way.

Plans for the migration started in Sept 05 and the migration started in July 06.

Basically, to reduce the risk of data loss and time we informed all pupils and staff that the contents of their home directories were going to disappear on a particular date. So if they need anything, back it up. We emphesised that this was their personal data area and will not be our responsibility should they not back it up. They were given 3 months notice with bi-weekly warnings. This was great for purging too!

Also, we archived any document stored in a folder that hadn't been accessed for 24 months or more. This was just a measure to reduce the amount of old data being transefered.

All in all, I think we reduced the possible data being transfered by 1/3!

What we didn't tell people (appart from SMT) was that the old servers were going to remain on for 6 months just in case there is urgent need to get hold of any data that wasn't transfered. After that, the servers were moved to a vault where they were switched on at every half term to ensure that we could still access anything if needed. They were officially decomissioned in the summer 2008.

We had the new windows servers delivered, installed into the rack and setup about a month before the official transfer of data etc was going to commence. Prior to that we just setup a couple of basic 2003 boxes for testing data and email migration.

As for the departmental areas, including admin, we ran a few simple scripts to transfer the data from folders on the Netware box over to folders on the Windows server(s).

We extracted all the user details from Novell into a text file and imported the file to create the new users with new passwords.

As for the email, we used a great tool from Quest Software called Groupwise Migrator for Exchange. Superb, and well worth the cost. Haggle with them over the individual mailbox price and the cost will come tumbling down!

We hired a couple temps in to go around the place with build disks setting the workstations off for rebuilts and moving kit around etc etc. Again priceless as long as they're switched on and keen to earn their money!

All in all we moved 1700 users, 380 PCs/Laptops over from Novell to Windows in 6 weeks. (3 techies and 2 temps)

Very hard work but we were so glad afterwards, especially as when everyone started piling back after the summer break, we only had one or two issues that were resolved in a matter of days!

Hope this is useful in some way or another.

Thank Post
    Did a Netware 6.5/Zenworks 6.5 /Groupwise 7 (7 Servers) migration to RM CC3 during the 2 week easter break along with a member of the infrastructure installs team from the LEA ICT department.

As SLT decided that we couldn't have 'any' downtime this was planned as a parallel migration.

In the 2 weeks prior to the easter break, I did lots of file tidying and consolidation to reduce data transfer amounts. Using the Novell ICE wizard and the edirectory odbc driver, I created lists of all current user account and group details. Email was to be a 'clean slate' so student and staff emails didn't need to migrated. Senior leadership and certain other important staff mails were converted using outlook into pst fles.

First day of the easter break I emptied and reorganised the server racks with the old servers being stacked beside the racks so they could still be in use.

The first 2 CC3 servers and exchange server were then installed into the racks and commissioning by the LEA started.
    Whilst that was taking place I generated new csv import files containing new id/password lists and I created the new documentation booklets for all staff and students which would contain instructions on how to access the new system and how - on the machines connected to the old system - to get access to their migrated data.

Once the servers were up and running, the new accounts were created and the data transfer started.

Whist that was taking place our 4 ICT labs were rebuilt onto the CC3 system and the process of creating software install packages started.

By the end of the two week easter break, the new system was up and running alongside the old and 104 workstations had been built with all data transferred.

First day back, booklets were issued out to all staff and students and the process of fielding the expected 'help' calls started.

Over the next half-term another 96 Machines were converted upto the recommended maximum for 2 servers of 200 workstations and further packages were created and deployed.

In the half-term the next 2 CC3 servers arrived and were integrated into the new network. The rest of the workstations on the netware network were then able to be converted to CC3 along with making a start on migrating our staff laptops.

The laptops would take longer to convert as they first had to be handed over for conversion. For this I set up a simple booking sheet in the staff room with 4 slots per day so that staff could decide which on which day they would be without their laptop. 4 was the maximum laptops we could convert per day due to physical office space limits and having to backup data before conversion.

By the week before the summer break all the workstations had been converted and the majority of the software had been re-installed. All that was left was the remaining staff laptops and an expected delivery of a batch of new laptops for the science department.

It was at this point that we decided to shutdown the old Novell system for the final time after first taking a final complete backup - just in case.

Our primary edirectory/zenworks server was then shipped off to the LEA ICT department for re-building as our 5th CC3 server. This being returned and integrated in the first week of the summer break.

Thank Post
    from novell to cc3 that must have been painful, why not go from novell to Vanilla?
    Matt

Thank Post
    That would be vanilla linux I presume?

Thank Post
    *cough* Vanilla windows i mean haha.

Thank Post
    We will be going through this procedure at the end of this week. Our Netware systems are falling apart, no one can or wants to fix it. We are using some free tools to migrate the users into Active Directory, and then a fresh Exchange Server is being set up. Going to be a busy December period, but it is needed for sure.

Netware was a good product back in the day, but it's time is over really.

Thank Post
    Shame to hear that. It's not as though there's no expertise around you. UCT has certainly got the skills.

OES Linux has allowed us to keep skills in place with fewer security issues, and very little hassle.

TheLibrarian
    I'd give someone else's right arm to work with Netware again.

It was always so much more stable than Windows.

Thank Post
    The migration to OES Linux hasn't been all plain sailing, particularly for the Macs and access to Apple resource forks over AFP. I've had to do no really major migrations of data nor visits to client workstations.

It has required a steep learning curve for the sysadmin (me - I used Linux in the late '90s and dropped it as unusable until about 2005), but the other staff have been completely unaware that we've changed the background OS. It all still looks the same to them, same management practices, greater security and less downtime than a Windows migration. Far, far, fewer virus problems than my Windows friends suffer as we don't use CIFS.

We have however been able to integrate it into a PGP whole disk encryption for the laptops, and we get the best of all worlds using LDAP. We've stayed a mixed shop, and use eDirectory to tie things together. I think eDir is still ahead of AD (although I'm watching), and the Domain Services for Windows means that the "must have AD" needs can be met.

We've done some NetWare virtualisation under both VMWare and Xen with no trouble. The variety of platforms means that we can meet the needs of users.

Thank Post
    we had 2 Novell servers back at a school where I used to work, One of the servers had an uptime of 3 years - never had it been restarted OR powered down. Thats how stable Netware is I think it was version 5 but I think if IIRC it was only used for the staff / backup network. This was because the network manager liked his Windows NT Servers (CC 2.4 the good old days huh?) too much to care for Novell, but from what I remember of Novell it was pretty awesome, we then migrated everything to CC3 and the Novell server disappeared into the wilderness but I hope I'd of got my hands on it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread