+ Post New Thread
Netware Thread, zenworks application launcher - remove an icon in Technical; Hey all, I'm trying to use Zenworks 7.5 with my school district, but have run into a decent snag. Here's ...

Thank Post

Unhappy zenworks application launcher - remove an icon

Hey all,

I'm trying to use Zenworks 7.5 with my school district, but have run into a decent snag.

Here's the scenario:

We have a student information program called ClassXP - most clients currently have an icon on the desktop to this network program.

I have reimaged most of the PC's in the school, and have zenworks installed - it is pushing out a shortcut to Class XP as well. Now teachers have *2* icons, and they are confused.

I need to remove this icon, but only on PC's that have zenworks installed; not all do. Those that do not have zenworks installed must keep their current icon. So - unless I can tell from a login script if a PC has zenworks installed, I can't just use a script to blast the old icon (though I'd like to).

I've been trying to use the Distribution Options in ConsoleOne / Zenworks to remove the icon or to run a batch file on distribution to remove the old shortcut, but nothing works. It doesn't help that the distribution tab says the scripts or commands that run will not display error messages - makes the problem almost impossible to troubleshoot.

I have a good bit more detail on this, including drive mappings, scripts and whatnot that I've tried if it would help.

For instance, in this distribution script / Run Before Distribution option, I have tried:
    #\\lcps_server4\lchs\Software\Login\removeSasi.bat
    and
    #M:\login\removeSasi.bat

M: is the lchs\software drive as it maps to all LCHS faculty that log in. Both the above lines will work if used as a *login* script, but do not appear to work in the Run Before Distribution section.

As you can see, I'm trying but I'm missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated. You guys are so awesome!

Damian Bailey

Thank Post
    It sounds like this icon is in the 'All Users' 'Desktop' folder on the machines where it is installed. The simplest thing to do would be to just delete this shortcut. A startup script containing something along the lines of the following should do the trick:

Code:
    if exist "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\Annoying shortcut.lnk" del "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\Annoying shortcut.lnk"

3. Thanks to Ric_ from:

LCPSWolf (8th August 2008)

Thank Post

Smile Many thanks

Ric,

Thanks for your idea - it gave me enough to go off of to get something that works! (If you're interested, I used the if exist clause to check for a certain zenworks file - if it is present, remove the annoying icon)

So thanks!

Always appreciated..

Damian

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread